Elevation of host

I have noticed in the TLM that when priests elevate the host, they elevate it very high. Our priest in the OF mass has started doing this and I had never noticed any one doing it before. I am wondering if any one knows the reason why the difference.

My disclaimer: I believe both masses are licit and I am not trying to compare. I attend both forms of mass. I just want to know if there was a reason for the difference.

In most EF Masses, the priest is not facing the people, and he must be sure the elevate the Host and Chalice high if people are to see and adore. In most OF Masses, the priest is facing the people, possibly making the height of the elevation less of an issue.

The particular levels of elevation are probably mostly due to the priest's particular style. However, I suspect there is more uniformity in celebrating the EF.

I did learn from a teaching Mass that, properly, the final elevation (at the end of the Eucharistic Prayer) should be higher than the particular elevations at the words of consecration.

[quote="SonCatcher, post:3, topic:320598"]
The particular levels of elevation are probably mostly due to the priest's particular style. However, I suspect there is more uniformity in celebrating the EF..

[/quote]

That's probably true.

I did learn from a teaching Mass that, properly, the final elevation (at the end of the Eucharistic Prayer) should be higher than the particular elevations at the words of consecration.

[/quote]

That might explain it because I don't know how the priests could get the elevation any higher at the end of the Eucharistic prayer if they are elevating it very high during consecration.

Thanks

[quote="Diana_Catherine, post:1, topic:320598"]
I have noticed in the TLM that when priests elevate the host, they elevate it very high. Our priest in the OF mass has started doing this and I had never noticed any one doing it before. I am wondering if any one knows the reason why the difference.

My disclaimer: I believe both masses are licit and I am not trying to compare. I attend both forms of mass. I just want to know if there was a reason for the difference.

[/quote]

:)

If these are two different men, it may also be due to the age/infirmity of the priest.

The particular levels of elevation are probably mostly due to the priest's particular style. However, I suspect there is more uniformity in celebrating the EF.

[/quote]

Actually, the proper practice has always been the opposite. The elevation at the end of the consecration is known as the minor elevation because the Sacrament is generally raised to eye level of the celebrant, whereas the major elevations are above his head.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.