Eleventh Sunday after Pentecost Tridentine High Mass today

Well, it turned out a lot better than I expected. Naturally, with all this talk about Motu Proprio, I was expecting Saint Margaret Mary Church in Oakland to be in the infant stages of forming a Tridentine Mass. When we entered the church we were greeted by an usher handing out flyers about their 18th Anniversary of the Traditional Latin Mass. They will have an Anniversary Mass on Sunday, September 16th and a Reception in the parish hall afterwards.

Needless to say, that Tridentine High Mass had the precision of 18 years experience and was a work of art, to say the least. The choir (I believe it’s called a Kandor?) chanted the Gregorian Chants as well as monks in a monastery. Most of the chants were the same as the Saint Benedict chants on the Internet for the Eleventh Sunday after Pentecost. I was surprised to hear my Filipino mother-in-law singing along with the Gregorian Chants. Both her and my wife were able to read the Latin side of the Missal, because of Latin being used during the Passion Vigil in the Philippians.

The Epistle was (1 Cor. 15: 1-10) and the Gospel was (Mk. 7:31-37) The priest gave an exceptional good homily and defined the words for us by putting emphasis on strengthening our faith. I was surprised to find that there were many large families of small children. It was almost like turning the clock back to the 50’s.

I’m the last one to give advice to the churches, but it appears to me, that there will be a lot of hard work ahead for those who dream about having a Tridentate High Mass in their Parish. Maybe, Low Mass if you can find a Priest who knows the Latin Mass, but High Mass requires an exceptional amount of precision from the volunteer laypeople. It seems like lag time in between the Priest and the Gregorian Chants it would spoil the beauty of the ritual. I would notice even a tiny lag if the priest paused for one word.

There weren’t enough 1962 Missals again, but we were handed a folded sheet of “Propers for the Eleventh Sunday after Pentecost.”

All and all, if a person has a spark of Catholic in him, the Tridentine High Mass will set him on fire.

Richard

All and all, if a person has a spark of Catholic in him, the Tridentine High Mass will set him on fire.

Richard

As a protestant walking into the Tridentine Mass, thats what happened to me. Never looked back.:smiley:

I can also hear God calling me from that direction.:slight_smile:

Richard

Holy Roller, you put a smile on my face this morning! Thank you for posting, and may God bless you.:slight_smile:

I would agree. Yesterday was my 3rd TLM mass, and the 1st where I felt like I was able to follow along, though some of the Latin pronunciation is still unfamiliar.

In our little chapel in Dallas, I’m also impressed by the large families with small children. :thumbsup:

I originally went to this mass out of curiosity, but now I can’t get it out of my head.

Was it an actual Solemn High Mass (Missa Solemnis) or merely a Sung Low Mass (Missa Cantata)?

And the choir is properly called a Schola Cantorum.

I don’t know for sure, but it was pretty much the same High Mass that I remember from the 50’s when I was a teenager. If fact, it was more professionally executed than what we had back in rural Michigan, and the music was comparable to monks in a monetary. The only thing that really stood out from what I remembered, was the Biretta (it’s a hat). Rev. Wiener put it on and took it off quite a few times during the Mass, and the alter boys knew exactly when to assist him with his Biretta. The Biretta ritual really put the frosting on the cake, and it focused attention on the fact that he was a priest. His Biretta was black with pointed corners and had a light blue tassel (no string attached) about the size of a tennis ball.

During Low Mass last Thursday evening he took off the Biretta when he enter and put it back on when he left. During the High Mass last Sunday he also changed garments in front of everyone shortly after his entrance, and the alter boys assisted him in dressing. I didn’t remember that from the old days.

Do you have anything to share?

Richard

Was Father assisted by a Deacon and Subdeacon? A true High Mass is when the priest is assisted by the Deacon and Subdeacon. Otherwise you just attended a Sung Low Mass (which for some reason is called a High Mass in the United States).

The biretta has been used for centuries. I dont know why it is new to you if you attended the traditional Mass when you were younger. Father’s biretta tuft was blue because he is in the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest- usualy the tuft is black.

He would have changed from the Cope to the Chasuble after the Asperges (the sprinkling of water). Mass actualy begins when the priest makes the Sign of the Cross, so the Asperges is not part of the Mass. Father wears the Cope during the Asperges (and other Liturgical and para-Liturgical rites outside of the Mass) and the Chasuble during Mass.

Richard what a blessing you are to your MIL will you be my SIL?
:thumbsup: Thank you for getting back to us.
The next step is …
Dessert

From what I have read, there is a shortage out here in California. Saint Margaret Mary only has one other priest and he worked the confessional during mass and made the a few announcements after the precession left the church. Can’t get more efficient than that.

In the farming community that I grew up in we always had Low Mass, and without a Biretta. Maybe it was lower than Low Mass? I don’t know for sure? Probably the reason they changed over to NO?

Richard

Between 1964 and 1969 there were the so-called “transitional Missals” that were little more then Liturgical experimentations during the few years between the end of Vatican II and the promulgation of the Novus Ordo in 1969. These Masses dropped many traditional elements, so maybe this is what you were attending.

Or perhaps that priest just didnt have a biretta for some reason. :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.