Elie Wiesel, Holocaust survivor and Nobel laureate, dead at 87

Activist and writer Elie Wiesel, Holocaust survivor, Nobel Peace Prize winner, and life-long voice for the tyrannized and forgotten around the world, has died at age 87.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu lauded Wiesel as a “master of words.”

“(He) gave expression through his exceptional personality, and fascinating books about the victory of the human spirit over cruelty and evil. In the darkness of the Holocaust in which our brothers and sisters – six million – were murdered, Elie Wiesel was a ray of light and greatness of humanity who believed in the good in man,” Netanyahu said.

“I was privileged to know Elie and to learn so much from him.”

In Judaism, it is considered a special blessing to die on the Sabbath. I hope that Elie Wiesel at last has found peace as he rests with G-d.

I do too.

Ed

RIP

I read his book NIGHT in social literature class in high school. Eye opening.

Praying for the repose of his soul & for his family.

Amen.

Reading that book… The horrors they went through. It’s unspeakable.

:signofcross:
PATER NOSTER, qui es in caelis, sanctificetur nomen tuum. Adveniat regnum tuum. Fiat voluntas tua, sicut in caelo et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie, et dimitte nobis debita nostra sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris. Et ne nos inducas in tentationem, sed libera nos a malo. Amen.

REQUIEM aeternam dona ei, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat ei. Requiescat in pace. Amen.
:signofcross:

May he rest in peace. He will always be remembered for his contributions in the fight against fascism.

Praying. May his soul rest in peace.

mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt2623.html

[LEFT]
[/LEFT]

Amen.
Was Elie Wiesel religious?

I believe he began as a religious Jew. However, the traumatic experience in the extermination camps changed his perception of both G-d and humanity. G-d Himself was put on trial and found guilty. He made the interesting statement that a Jew can be for G-d, which is good, as well as against G-d; but a Jew cannot be without G-d.

Did he believe that God was collaborating with the Nazis?

No, he never said or believed that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.