Elijah,

Sorry if this seems a silly question but who was Elijah? I have seen that name once before but can’t quite pin it down. I have so much to learn it seems I get further away some days instead of closer to understanding. Thanks for the help everyone, and the patience you have with me.

BP

Hi, Brierpatch,

2 Kings 2:11 says: “As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind.”

Also, do you notice, brierpatch, when you scroll down on this screen you see “Related Threads”? Because there’s a thread there on Elijah you might like.

Elijah is a prophet from the Old Testament. You can read about him in 1st and 2nd Kings. By God’s grace, he was a very powerful prophet and was able to raise the dead and was assumed by God in a chariot of fire. He was succeeded by Elisha.

In the New Testament, many people thought that Jesus or John the Baptist might be Elijah, because of the prophecy that Elijah would return at the coming of the Messiah (Mal 4:1-5). Jesus said that John the Baptist was Elijah (not reincarnated, but a type) who had announced His coming. However, Elijah did literally come (as well as Moses) at the Transfiguration of Jesus in which Jesus’ Glory was revealed to the three disciples who were there. As a side note: Moses and Elijah are representative of the Law and the Prophets of which Jesus was the fulfillment. Having three witnesses at the Transfiguration fulfilled Old Testament law about witnesses (DT 19:15).

Hope that helps!

Thank you for the replies and help I appreciate it greatly. And thanks for pointing out the threads at the bottom fo the page. I had never notcied them before.

BP

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.