Elites, Dems crowd church for John Lewis funeral as normal Americans face worship restrictions

So why did they do it?
Why, in a time of mourning, did they decide to violate laws and guidelines inflicted upon everyone else?
What message did they think they were sending?

4 Likes

Might want to mention that to Obama.He made his entire eulogy a political bash fest against Trump

7 Likes

We must unite to mourn a national hero.

Thanks for your understanding.

He said to honor John Lewis by continuing his mission of fostering voting rights. That’s not bashing Trump – unless you believe Trump is trying to restrict minority votes. Do you?

1 Like

And that excuses violation of the social distance rules?

Understanding of what?

Nepperhan . . .

You should understand that the OP wanted none but respectful remembrances on the death of Herman Cain

The probem here is not the late John Lewis.

You changed the premise of the argument.

2 Likes

You are? Even given that Obama made a political rally type speech in his eulogy? You are still surprised a news outlet would question the fact that most of America is prevented from having public funerals for their loved ones, with no recourse but yet that was not the case for John Lewis. I don’t think anyone is saying Mr Lewis did not deserve all the respect and honor he received, he certainly did deserve it. I am sure that many Americans who have died in the last several months, such as the young Hispanic Army solider Vanessa Guillen, who was murdered by another solider, deserved to be honored and respected at their funerals but were not allowed to.

Too many people are just over this obvious double standard from the left, the complete hypocrisy of their positions.

8 Likes

In Oregon - Phase 1 - Churches are only allowed 25 people at Mass including the priest - this is true no matter how large the church is - small rural church or large urban parish - so a Parish Church with over 2200 families that holds 600 people at a regular Sunday Mass can have 25 people attend Mass and a small rural Parish with 100 families and a parish that would hold 60 people can have 25 people at Mass …

Weddings, baptisms, First Holy Communions, and Funerals face the same limits of participants - with additional aspects like receptions/after ceremony gatherings being limited to 10 people … However, some people [John Lewis and George Floyd] are special - they can have 100’s and even thousands of people gather in close proximity and there are no limits - on the number of gatherings or participants at said gatherings… its kind of like the pass given to protests [for liberal causes not conservative], riots, arson fires and looting.

That was what the OP was illustrating - IMHO … that the limits on “gatherings” is not related to COVID-19 and the science but to the politics that have been imposed on the Virus

Im not sure if it was appropriate or not. I do know that Obama basically channelled John Lewis.

Then, after the fact, we have commentators huffing that he got a funeral but others didn’t? That’s all they had on the issue? Just sniping around the edges? Its pitiful.

It was not the time for that type of carping. IMHO

Guess you missed other parts of the” eulogy”…

So you are ok with double standards and hypocrisy. Good to know.

It shouldn’t be surprising because people are forced to take on restrictions and aren’t happy with them. The majority of people complied. And with the pictures, this looks like a set of rules for privileged people and another for everyone else.
This is why America is having such a difficult time suppressing transmission: there’s absolutely no consistency from anyone in positions of leadership, in government and opposition. Everything is about politics. It’s as if ones political views make them secular chosen ones impervious to spreading the virus or contracting it.

Nepperhan . . .

The premise of the argument was ‘respectful remembrances’.

Is Pelosi, Obama, and Clinton etc. ignoring social distancing “respectful”?

I thought your guys in the media have said this is a life or death issue (i.e. social distancing)??!! (Ya mean it isn’t??!!)

Why blame the victims? (The people in society who are critical of these hypocritical actions from the left who will now die from the leftists ignoring their social distancing. :wink: )

Why not just admit it?

Why not just say the obvious: “They clearly ignored social distancing Cathoholic.”

And look. If the left want to do this at
campaign gatherings and fund raisers for themselves,
leftist riots for themselves,
or leftist politicizing funerals for themselves and an attempt at a power gain,
who am I to crab about that?

But just expect that same standard to be held across the board.

Don’t come to the conservatives and germ-shame them if THEY too get together.

Personally the social distance routine and the mask madness?

Have a PR campaign and let people decide for themselves.

And don’t be OBVIOUSLY hypocritical about the issue, and expect conservatives to reman silent.

3 Likes

Horton . . .

Even given that Obama made a political rally type speech in his eulogy?

Excellent point Horton.

The politicization (as usual) of the funeral (or anything else for that matter) was from the left.

Obama Uses John Lewis Funeral to Call for ‘Eliminating the Filibuster’

C-SPAN

JOEL B. POLLAK

30 Jul 2020

Former President Barack Obama used his eulogy at the funeral of Rep. John Lewis (D-GA) to call for an end to the Senate filibuster to pass Democrats’ new legislation on voting reform.

Obama said that Republicans had imitated Jim Crow-era restrictions on voting rights, which Lewis marched against, by passing state voter ID laws and other measures that conservatives argue prevent voter fraud. . . .

1 Like

The question is if one should focus on criticizing political opponents or, in the alternative, give respectful remembrance to a national hero. You know, like you requested as to Herman Cain.

Your skewering of ‘Democrats and elitists’ at the very least showed poor timing. Obama’s eulogy at the funeral went to the core of what John Lewis believed and fought for.

Given that you have pounded the table for mask wearing and social distancing on these forums, it’s funny that you defend these attendees and skewer everyone who dares to call it out.

If John Lewis can get a “respectful” funeral with no attention paid to social distancing or crowd counts, why can’t everyone else who passed this year also get a similarly “respectful” funeral from their loved ones?

Lewis deserves the respect. But the way to be truly respectful would have been to honor the masking and social distance requirements that our leaders promulgate for everyone else. Especially since they were inside a church. Many of us have been banned from churches across the country but we have to have that poor example shoved in our faces.

To do as they did is to tell us “do as we say, not as we do”, to disrespect those who bring up these cogent points that you yourself have propounded for everyone else. Fourteen members of Congress have been diagnosed with Covid-19. More may have been infected but not showing symptoms, but these guys don’t have to distance? Oh please …

8 Likes

Nepperhan . . .

Your skewering of ‘Democrats and elitists’ at the very least showed poor timing.

Either my timing was perfect, or this lack of social distancing ISN’T a life-threatening issue.

(You don’t hold back criticism of politics, if lives are really immediately at stake.)

Which is it?

Because if it IS life-threatening, then the timing of Cathoholic is irrelevant.

But I want to give you a chance here to criticize all the leftists there NOT social distancing.
Now that we are a few days out and “timing” is better, it should be easy for you.

I want to invite you to criticise the leftist rioters who were photographed not social distancing too.

I also do not want to ignore Andrew Cuomo and HIS lack of social distancing (and no mask!) at leftist fundraisers. So since this is not about mere politics and such, you can level your criticism away against Cuomo too.

Certainly these matters of “life and death” violated by leftists
you can easily condemn.
Right? :wink:

2 Likes

Zzyzx_Road . . .

If John Lewis can get a “respectful” funeral with no attention paid to social distancing or crowd counts, why can’t everyone else who passed this year also get a similarly “respectful” funeral from their loved ones?

The question of the day! Excellent.

Also great point . . .

Fourteen members of Congress have been diagnosed with Covid-19. More may have been infected but not showing symptoms, but these guys don’t have to distance? Oh please …

My comments were not about masks or lack of masks. They were about focusing on masks.

No, it is not an ‘either or’ situation. Not every available argument needs to be stated. Sometimes some issues should not be raised.

I think you understand that.

There is where you are missing the point.

No one is focused on masks…
People are focused on the blatant example of different rules for these people then for everyone else.

5 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.