Elric of Melnibone

So I've been keen to get into this series for a while now, but after reading up about how the stories were written, I'm utterly confused on where to start. There seems to be two ways to attack this: (i) chronological order or (ii) in publishing order.

Have any boarders read this series and can give advice? Jharek, I'm looking at you in particular. :cool:

[quote="PrayerShark, post:1, topic:269646"]
So I've been keen to get into this series for a while now, but after reading up about how the stories were written, I'm utterly confused on where to start. There seems to be two ways to attack this: (i) chronological order or (ii) in publishing order.

Have any boarders read this series and can give advice? Jharek, I'm looking at you in particular. :cool:

[/quote]

PS, sorry to take so long to respond. Seriously crazed shifts that stretched on for 12-14 hours each day for the last few weeks much of the time have been eating up all my energy.

To try to answer your question, given how Moorcock writes applying the logic of a strict chronological order can be awkward. Especially as his works take place in a shared multiverse where the same character can pop up in two different novels but behave in some what differing ways or appear to contradict their own continuity.

The most standard order for the Elric novels is as follows:-

(I) Elric of Melniboné
    Book 1
    Book 2
    Book 3
The Fortress of the Pearl
(II) The Sailor on the Seas of Fate
    Book One: Sailing To the Future
    Book Two: Sailing To the Present
    Book Three: Sailing To the Past
(III) The Weird of the White Wolf
    Prologue: The Dream of Earl Aubec
    Book One: The Dreaming City
    Book Two: While the Gods Laugh
    Book Three: The Singing Citadel
(IV) The Vanishing Tower (The Sleeping Sorceress)
    Book One: The Torment of the Last Lord
    Book Two: To Snare the Pale Prince
    Book Three: Three heroes With a Single Aim
The Revenge of the Rose
(V) The Bane of the Black Sword
    Book One: The Stealer of Souls
    Book Two: Kings in Darkness
    Book Three: The Flame Bringers (aka The Caravan of Forgotten Dreams)
    Epilogue: To Rescue Tanelorn
(VI) Stormbringer
    Book One: Dead God's Homecoming
    Book Two: Black Sword's Brothers
    Book Three: Sad Giant's Shield
    Book Four: Doomed Lord's Passing

However Elric HAS also popped up in some unexpected places, Marvel comics used him in Conan for example early on in the run of Conan the Barbarian when they had the rights to the latter character. One of our fellow forum members GKC knows Roy Thomas who with Moorcock helped write those issues of Conan. Elric has also popped up in other odd places even within Moorcock's universe. My user name comes from another incarantion of the 'Eternal Champion' set in a decadent and dying Earth which is sufficiently scientific for the science to appear magical as per Clarke's famous line about that. Elric who is time travelling pops up for a time in that. He is well out of place and assumes he is been tormented by the Lords of Chaos as this world is beyond his understanding. It's also implied the father of the character my user name is derived from may be Duke Arioch of Chaoes whom Elric serves at times.

Chronology in the standard sense is as I say an awfully akward subject with regards' to Moorcock's works.

Awesome: I'd been thinking of reading Moorcock as I'm looking for another good epic fantasy series to get into. Glad to see there are Catholic fans of his work!

Many thanks JC, so I take it a good starting place would be the Elric of Melnibone Omibus (# ISBN 13: 9781857983340, ISBN 10: 1857983343), or would the currently released series of volumes titled Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melnibone (# ISBN 13: 9780345498625, ISBN 10: 0345498623) be better?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.