Embarassment Prevents Sin?

I’ve been going to Confession every month without fail since last June, when I decided to “come home.” For the most part, I went to the 8pm time alotted for Confession and since the same priest would hear my Confession, I became very self-conscious about confessing the same sins over and over and over again! Despite this knowledge, I continued to commit the sin and would invariably have to confess it the following month. This embarassment, along with truly attempting to defeat this particular sin, has been working as of late and I believe that part of my small success is due to the fact that my priest knows me, as well. And that I really dread having to confess the sin again (and the number of times I’ve committed it!). It’s amazing what wonders familiarity can produce when you dread having to confess (yet again!) the same darn sins!

Anyone experience this?

[quote=Steve-o]I’ve been going to Confession every month without fail since last June, when I decided to “come home.” For the most part, I went to the 8pm time alotted for Confession and since the same priest would hear my Confession, I became very self-conscious about confessing the same sins over and over and over again! Despite this knowledge, I continued to commit the sin and would invariably have to confess it the following month. This embarassment, along with truly attempting to defeat this particular sin, has been working as of late and I believe that part of my small success is due to the fact that my priest knows me, as well. And that I really dread having to confess the sin again (and the number of times I’ve committed it!). It’s amazing what wonders familiarity can produce when you dread having to confess (yet again!) the same darn sins!

Anyone experience this?
[/quote]

I have a similar experience with several issues. Just having to confess to the same confessor has really helped in overcoming these sins. I am coming up on a year of not committing them over and over. The Grace of Christ really works through this sacrament!

[quote=Steve-o]I’ve been going to Confession every month without fail since last June, when I decided to “come home.” For the most part, I went to the 8pm time alotted for Confession and since the same priest would hear my Confession, I became very self-conscious about confessing the same sins over and over and over again! Despite this knowledge, I continued to commit the sin and would invariably have to confess it the following month. This embarassment, along with truly attempting to defeat this particular sin, has been working as of late and I believe that part of my small success is due to the fact that my priest knows me, as well. And that I really dread having to confess the sin again (and the number of times I’ve committed it!). It’s amazing what wonders familiarity can produce when you dread having to confess (yet again!) the same darn sins!

Anyone experience this?
[/quote]

Next time instead of thinking about having to confess the sin again to the same priest. Think about the fact that God is spiritually right there with you as well as all the Saints in Heaven. That the Holy Spirit is right there in your soul. Your Guardian Angel is right there by your side. Everything good or bad that we do, Christ already knows. We should fear offending God, not the embarassment of confessing the same sin again.

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]Next time instead of thinking about having to confess the sin again to the same priest. Think about the fact that God is spiritually right there with you as well as all the Saints in Heaven. That the Holy Spirit is right there in your soul. Your Guardian Angel is right there by your side. Everything good or bad that we do, Christ already knows. We should fear offending God, not the embarassment of confessing the same sin again.
[/quote]

Gotcha. But I guess I could say that my fear was interceding for me… :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.