Embraced by the Light book

Is anyone familiar with a book titled " Embraced by the Light"? written by Betty J. Eadie, This woman was brought up Catholic and then as an adult had a near death experience and went to heaven, etc. and Jesus told her that basically all religions were good as long as they find what they need in that religion. I don’t buy any of that, I’m just curious if anyone out there read this and if so what is your opinion on it?

Sounds like a fair idea to me. I often think if someone was a really nice Protestant, or Mormon, or JW, would they not be as loved by God as much a good Catholic?

I’m very familiar with that book. I simply do not buy into what she says. Claiming to reveal what happens after death and having experienced it is a good way for authors to make a lot of money.

The book was given to me by my brother (who lost his son some years ago), and I read it. I don’t buy the relativism stuff (obviously). I keep the book on the special shelf along with my other unorthodox material. It attempts to provide a “feel good” gospel - I think there are elements of truth woven in, which will make it believable to some.

[quote=FightingFat]Sounds like a fair idea to me. I often think if someone was a really nice Protestant, or Mormon, or JW, would they not be as loved by God as much a good Catholic?
[/quote]

God loves everyone Fighting Cat, even the most abject sinner is loved by God more then we are capable of loving our most beloved. That wasn’t the question nor do I believe it has been implied.

The question is are all religions equal, not are all people equal, and are all people, regardless of their religion, equally likely to find what they need for salvation.

I think it’s pretty obvious to anyone here that we, as Catholics, believe that Jesus Christ founded a Church on Earth. He promised that the Gates of Hell would not prevail against it. He placed Peter as the Lead Shephard of his sheep. The popes have maintained the Chair of Peter in succession from the Apostles and the church founded by Christ is the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, known as the Catholic Church, under the leadership of Pope John Paul II.

Do I believe that Christ made a church to be equal with whatever else came it’s way later on down the road? This could not be if we are to believe it is to be One Church. This can’t be if it is to be Apostolic. This can’t be if the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic church is to be catholic (universal) in nature.

Hence, she may have had a close brush with the Liar and I hope she works quickly to reconcile herself with the Lord, or she may get the real tour of her eternal rest and find it doesn’t live up to the brochure.

God Bless,

CARose

No, I don’t believe this book to be a true story. Many folks out there today are making money off of the unknown.

Brings to mind the words of Cardinal Newman- “We both pray to the same God, you pray in your way, and I’ll pray in His.”

God does of course love all of His creatures, but he clearly wants something from us, and the best way to know what that is, is to follow the teachings of His Church.
Its not about whom is loved more by God (Catholic, Protestant, Jew, Atheist. etc…), but how we are to properly know and worship Him.

[quote=Newvert]… the words of Cardinal Newman- “We both pray to the same God, you pray in your way, and I’ll pray in His.” …
[/quote]

I haven’t heard this one before! It’s precious! Thanks!

God Bless,

CARose

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.