Emergency prayers for my dying grandfather

I just got a call from my Mom, telling me that my grandfather is dying. The hospital called and said for the family in the area to get there right away if they want to see him. He is no longer aware of his surroundings and does not recognise his loved ones. He is in his last hours right this minute, and I need you all to pray for God to have mercy on his soul. He led a very hard life, not very close to God. But we know that God is all powerful and all merciful, and nothing is impossible for Him.

Jesus, I trust in You to have mercy on his soul and bring him to Heaven!

I’m also having a Mass said for him tonight at my church, and I hope that he doesn’t die before his Mass! (He is not Catholic)

:console: I am SO sorry to hear this. :frowning:

I said prayers for your dear grandfather. Please rest assured that any prayers said after his passing are still precious in God’s eyes. He knows that you intend to say these prayers for him, and that will still be of infinite value to your grandfather. You are a wonderful grandchild and your grandfather will be eternally grateful to you, and will look forward to your reunion in heaven.

Have no fear. Fear is satan’s greatest weapon. Fear makes us cower instead of looking to Jesus, the true source of all our strength. Entrust your grandfather to Jesus’s mercy now, in whatever way you feel fit, and the rest will be up to Him. There could be no better place for your grandfather to be, than in the merciful hands of Jesus. If you let yourself be afraid that “it is too late” or that “he is not likely to make it”, then you are allowing satan’s best weapon to win you over. Simply trust in mercy and love that is God Himself, and they will triumph over fear and satan and death.

God bless and keep you all during this difficult time! :hug1:

I will remember your grandfather in my chaplet of Divine Mercy later today.

:hug1:

Eternal Father, I offer You the body, blood, soul and divinity of Your dearly beloved Son, Our Lord, Jesus Christ, in atonement for this man’s sins and the sins of the whole world.

For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on CatholicSam’s grandfather and on the whole world.

I will remember your grandfather in the chaplet of Divine Mercy today.

Praying :crossrc:

I’m sorry to hear of your loss. God be with you during your time of mourning. I will say a prayer for him, a divine mercy chaplet.

:signofcross:

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

Praying
Grandma Glor

Thank you all so much for the priceless gift of your prayers!

My grandfather died this morning at 7:45 am local time. My grandmother (his ex-wife) was praying for him continually, and then she had the inspiration to ask her Guardian Angel to go to his Guardian Angel and tell him that it’s OK to let go and give everything over to Jesus. She looked up at the clock, and it was 7:45 am. A little while later she got a call saying that he died at precisely that time.

The funeral will be on Monday.

I am so grateful that God allowed him to survive until I got to have a Mass said for him. I even bumped into the priest before Mass and was able to update him on the situation. Father prayed a couple of times during the Mass for my grandfather to have a happy death. From what I can tell, the family is at peace about this. The one person who is very distraught is his current wife, who was 5 minutes late to his bedside (so he died alone). But we know he had the Angels there helping him as he passed.

Father, your Son accepted oiur sufferings to teach us the virtue of patience in human illness. Hear the prayers we offer for our sick brother. May all who suffer pain, illness or disease realize that they are chosen to be saints, and know that they are joined to Christ in his suffering for the salvation of the world, who lives and reignsf with your and the Holy Spirit, on God, for ever and ever. Amen!

Eternal Rest Grant Unto Him O Lord And Let Perpetual Shine Upon Him. May He Rest In Peace. Amen

Gandma Glor

May the angels lead him into Paradise and may his soul rest in peace. Amen.

Saying the St. Gertrude prayer for your Grandfather. :signofcross:

Praying hard for him!

May the choirs of angels come to greet you,
May they lead you to Paradise.
May the Lord enfold you in His mercy,
May you find Eternal Life.

Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God rest in peace. Amen

Eternal Father, I offer you the body and blood, soul and divinity of your dearly beloved Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, in atonement for his sins and those of the whole world. For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on him and on the whole world.

Jesus please comfort his wife.
Thank You for Your blessings to him and his family, but please give his poor wife comfort, Jesus

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.