EMHC's: What would you do if someone didn't seem to know what to do?

What would you do if someone approached the communion line, but seemed to not know what to do?

We train our EMHCs to gently ask 'have you received your 1st Comunion?' And go from there. If the answer is 'no' kindly say, 'May The Lord Jesus be in your heart' and that is it.

[quote="Big_Feet, post:2, topic:342179"]
We train our EMHCs to gently ask 'have you received your 1st Comunion?' And go from there. If the answer is 'no' kindly say, 'May The Lord Jesus be in your heart' and that is it.

[/quote]

That would be nice. I just attended training, and we were instructed to go ahead and tell the person how to receive, because we didn't want to make any visitors feel like they weren't wanted by denying communion. It didn't sit well with me, honestly.

Strictly speaking, it's not the role of an EMHC to make a determination of the objective worthiness of a person who presents himself for communion. So, you give the person communion, and the onus is solely upon them for the determination of whether they're worthy or not to receive it.

[quote="Gorgias, post:4, topic:342179"]
Strictly speaking, it's not the role of an EMHC to make a determination of the objective worthiness of a person who presents himself for communion. So, you give the person communion, and the onus is solely upon them for the determination of whether they're worthy or not to receive it.

[/quote]

I get that. I think I'm most worried by the implication we should encourage someone unsure what to do to receive. Most likely the person in such a scenario would be unaware that they shouldn't come up. We're in an area with a lot more visitors coming through than normal.

If someone has their hands out, I place the host their hands. I always check that they consume the host, and on a Sunday the ushers will be watching too and can stop anyone who walks away without consuming.

If their hands are not clearly out, I would assume they want COTT (which is quite popular in our parish) and give them that. If they didn't know what they were doing, it would be obvious (e.g. if they didn't open their mouth) and I would replace the host in the ciborium and say 'receive Jesus in your heart.'

There have only been two cases I remember when this didn't work, one was a mother holding a small child and I didn't have a clue from her gestures whether she wanted to receive or not so I had to ask her. The other was a school boy with typical tweenage awkwardness, but again I just asked.

Someone a few weeks ago approached me and clearly didn't know what to do.

I saw the person after Mass and pointed them out to the deacon who went over and spoke to them. I have no idea what he said or what came of it.

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.