"Emily of New Moon" series on DVD

My niece received the first season of "Emily of New Moon" on DVD for Christmas. First off, I see from the reviews on amazon.com that the series is far different than the books. Still, my niece is concerned because she says the characters seem extremely and virulently anti-Catholic and stopped watching after a couple of episodes.

The priest is called (I believe she said) a Satan-worshipper and Catholics are continually referred to as "papists". While the priest is a sympathetic character, other Catholics are painted in bad light.

Has anyone seen the entire series and have an opinion to offer? I don't expect Protestant characters to be entirely sympathetic to Catholicism, but I hope the series isn't a continual attack on the Faith. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

I haven't seen the DVD's, but I am a big fan of the books. They were written about 100 years ago when Catholics were commonly refered to as "papists". I do remember some interaction between the Protestants and Catholics in the books, but nothing that was mean spirited or anti-Catholic. It just shows how far Hollywood has been able to take it's anti-Catholic campaign, to interject it in a children's series. How sad. :(

[quote="Catholic1954, post:2, topic:181207"]
I haven't seen the DVD's, but I am a big fan of the books. They were written about 100 years ago when Catholics were commonly refered to as "papists". I do remember some interaction between the Protestants and Catholics in the books, but nothing that was mean spirited or anti-Catholic. It just shows how far Hollywood has been able to take it's anti-Catholic campaign, to interject it in a children's series. How sad. :(

[/quote]

Thanks for your response. The reviews on amazon.com did say that the series was very different from the books (the reason a few people gave it lousy reviews--a lot of people raved about it.) My niece read the books (quite some time ago) but she doesn't remember as much anti-Catholic sentiment as in the TV series.

Anyone else?

That's odd, I don't recall much anti-Catholic sentiment in the books either.

It has been many years since I read them, but I do not recall it. Lets see where are those books..

At least in book one, skimming it looks like it's just some of the adult characters, portraying them naturally, but the our heroine doesn't seem to have a problem in the end..

There's a charming scene with Fr. Cassidy at least in book 1.. I wonder if I will ever read these again. Hmm. Perhaps I will. I've changed a lot I wonder what I will think of it now.

A little too sweetly romantic for my tastes probably these days. And the ending not my preferred one I do remember that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.