Emperor Hadrian, Serapis, Flavians

What do some know about these strange conspiracies?
The myths about the Flavians creating Christianity, or the Serapis ties to Christ (Serapis) Serapis followers also having a baptismal initiation?
Kind of a deep one, but any information would be helpful.

What strange conspiracies?

The myths about the Flavians creating Christianity, or the Serapis ties to Christ (Serapis) Serapis followers also having a baptismal initiation?

What ties to Christ?

Kind of a deep one, but any information would be helpful.

What depth? It’s a mile wide, but an inch deep.

What are you even talking about? We have no idea.

Ditto. NO idea what you’re talking about. Could you fill us in?

Here is the claim - That the Flavian Dynasty created Christ to quench the religious tension or combine beliefs with Egypt and is basically just another “pagan” origin myth of sorts.

Ahmed Osman, a British Egyptologist makes the claim that “some early Christians made no distinction between Christ and Serapis and frequently worshipped both, while paintings of Isis with her son Horus became identified by early Christians as portraits of Mary with her son Jesus. The rite of baptism, part of the initiation ceremony of the Serapis cult, was also adopted by the Church as part of its initiation ceremony.”

He later states - In AD 134, after a visit to Alexandria, the Emperor Hadrian wrote a letter to his elderly brother-in-law, Servianus, in which he commented: “So you praise Egypt, my very dear Servianus! I know the land from top to bottom . . . In it the worshippers of Serapis are Christians, and those who call themselves Bishops of Christ pay their vows to Serapis . . . Whenever the patriarch himself comes to Egypt he is made to worship Serapis by some and Christ by others.”

Any takers?

Takers for what???

Ahmed Osman, a British Egyptologist makes the claim that "some early Christians made no distinction between Christ and Serapis and frequently worshipped both, while paintings of Isis with her son Horus became identified by early Christians as portraits of Mary with her son Jesus.

OK, fine. So what? People STILL try to mix paganism with Catholicism (Voodoo, anyone?) It’s messed up, but how can you stop it?

The rite of baptism, part of the initiation ceremony of the Serapis cult, was also adopted by the Church as part of its initiation ceremony.

Baptism isn’t just a Christian thing. LOTS of religions had similar practices (including the Jews - John wasn’t doing anything really weird). So what?

You’re not getting yourself tangled up with a post hoc ergo propter hoc logical fallacy, are you?

David Filner-
Any takers for giving some sort of knowledge about this topic.

I pointed out the silliness of the Baptism Connection.

Pablope,

No, I don’t believe the nonsense. There are one or two PHDs out there though that are convinced of the connections and these origin stories - and I believe that they need to be challenged. A lot of people cater to these “researchers” and buy into the nonsense - I wish I had the time to fully research the claims and put together a dissertation.

Thanks for pointing out the information about Ahmed Osman. I didn’t have the chance to look into the man. I’m extremely busy lately. This is why you guys here are so helpful :slight_smile:

I’ve used the arguments listed in “The Two Babylons,”
But this is articulated quite nicely and it helps that it is compiled by someone who once bought into the hooplah of these supposable connections. Thank you for the link, it will definitely be helpful.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.