Encountering street preachers

I encountered a street preacher last night. I told him that I’m getting my masters in Religious Studies at Missouri State University. Usually I take things in religion academically. I can’t condemn someone else being wrong, even if I disagree with them. That didn’t seem to be the case for this guy, as he couldn’t understand–I think–how I couldn’t believe in sola scriptora, and he tried to add that the Catholic Church today is not the same as it was in 325. I guess it boiled down to a “I’m right, you’re wrong, no matter what” scenario. Eventually when I realized that was how the guy was going to be, I walked away from him. But he yelled back at me that my knowledge wouldn’t save me. Of course, I never said that it would save me, but I did respond back that at least it wouldn’t make me ignorant. Although looking back on it, I think this guy was surprised to find somebody, who could challenge him so well. Anybody else been through a similar situation, and how did you deal with it?

Thanks,

Cody

That is just an excuse to say protestants were right when they broke off from the Church.

I’ve sort of met some. They weren’t actually preaching right then, but they were in the same league as a street preacher. They sort of scare me, because it’s almost like they’re crazy (the ones I’ve seen at least), like a rabid dog. Once you start talking to them they get so into it, so intent on converting and ‘saving’ you that they will not back down. I think it’s because nobody ever does talk to them, so when someone does they get happy and excited and when they find out you can defend your beliefs and aren’t interested in converting they get really angry, like you took a treat away from them. The best you can do is walk away after a while, because eventually they work themselves up into a frenzy and there’s no talking with them.

I love your retort though, cracked me up.

Hi Cody, ask him to sit down in a eating place for a meal, and ask him lots of questions. Those who think they know it all, usually run thin one on one.

Catholic Evidence Training Outlines (by Frank J. Sheed and Maisie Ward) (1928) (Outlines, prepared by the Catholic Evidence Guild of Westminster, London, for training of ordinary Catholics in presenting the truths of the Catholic Church in public)

jerome2007.tripod.com/catholicbooks_on_the_internet.htm

The best response, I know for those who advocate ignorance or anti-intellectualism is,

Isaiah 1:18
"Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.

Yes, many times.

Stand firm, walk away if necessary and pray…:slight_smile:

Yeah, the guy did blow up at me, and that made me laugh; but sometimes I think I should have been more charitable to the guy. I mean, he believes that his positions are right–just as much as I believe my positions are right. The only difference between us is that I can understand his position and disagree with it, but I don’t think he understands–or really cares–about mine.
Maybe I should have told him to enroll in some Religious Studies courses at Missouri State? Or at least take our REL 101 and 102 courses.

And the atheists watching said sheesh! crazy religious nuts!
glad I dont go for that god stuff. :slight_smile:

Nah. They were jealous not to be part of the fun. :stuck_out_tongue:

They just disagree on which Neanderthal became their parents.:wink:

true enough but I tire of everytime I talk to atheists the first thing out of their mouths is christians cant agree, so why should we believe anything?

So, this one time, I saw some street preachers, and i took their pamphlet, and i went into Chapters and used a Bible there to write a refutation of their pamphlet. It went quite well, very charitable conversation, ended after about 15 min, with me giving him the sheet with my name and church on it.
Lesson learned from this experience: Come out right away that you’re Catholic. Your new friend will be able to tailor his arguments accordingly, and you will get to the point quicker.

and youre being honest with them. :slight_smile: that is good.

Remember they are only trying to fullfill the great commision, to spread the gospel (speaking not about hare kristnias or any other)

There is a street ministry in the city near me. They baptise the homeless in the river. Of course some in the city want to shut them down because all the singing and noise are disturbing. :smiley:

And local churches, I believe the catholic too take in those who want to attend regularly.

What point is it to spread the Gospel to another Christian who already knows the Gospel. They are wrong to try to convert Catholics.

I don’t even see the point of Protestant coming to Latin America to convert Catholics there. They like want to deny those Catholics from receiving the Body and Blood of the Lord.

If they want to convert someone convert someone who is not a Christian. :mad:

Keep it relative. Scientists definintely can’t agree. There are many proofs there.:thumbsup: Remember, atheists are the toughest. You have to start from scratch…

I have found that most of the street preacher types don’t listen to reason. Also, in Springfield Missouri (which, for those who do not know, is where Missouri State University is), you’re in the bible belt- you’re surrounded by people who believe these people. It’s an uphill battle- that is one reason I decided against transferring there.

I find that people like this are usually taken back by someone who can intelligently speak with them - especially if that person is a Catholic who knows his/her faith. They typically don’t know how to engage in a conversation - just throw out Scripture quotes or well-rehearsed lines that circumvent any direct question you may ask.

If you are a devout Catholic, consider BECOMING a street preacher.

I have encounterd a few, not many. I never approch them. When thet start in with me I say something like “Well praise the Lord Btrother, I’m a Christian too” If they bring up the KJV I just ask why they would want to read a cut up, added to, version of the Bible whose compilation was overseen by a womanizing sodomite.

Then I walk off.

Very true!!:thumbsup:

oh hey thats good thanks. I post sometimes at a site and its odd alot are atheists. But alot follow Buddah, and theres a Wiccan. But christianity is crazy. :confused:

Mind you I have a pet theory that there are actually no athesits because they sure know their bible. I think they have just walked away. Or I guess one could call them backslidden, it fits them pretty good.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.