Encouragement of Protestantism?

Hello I have a dilemma that I would like to receive some feedback on:

Someone who is very close to me is a Christian who has grown more distant from her faith in recent times, rarely attending church services. This person grew up an Evangelical. Naturally, I have invited this person to Mass, which she duly attended with me, and tried to pull her toward Catholicism but to no great avail, due to her old preferences of Evangelicalism and the seemingly strangeness of the Catholic faith. My question is: is it appropriate to attend a Protestant service on a semi-regular basis with this woman on the basis of trying to reignite her spiritual life? She will not attend without my suggesting and I have seen her drift slowly toward a mushy secular relativism as time as gone by. Is it right to assume that a Protestant with a strong faith is comparatively better off than a secular person?

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place and thanks in advance!

God Bless

My first questions is how strong is your Catholic faith anf who is this woman to you?
As long as your attend Sunday mass and your are substitution a protestant service for it, the is no harm in going to thier services, but you cannot participate in any type of communion service.
With that said, It would be better if you showed your own unwavering committment to the Catholic faith and not go to the protestant services. I a way you are admitting that the protestant service is relative to the mass and as you know it is not. Depending on the how strong your faith is, it could lead you away from from the Catholic faith and bring her at all into any faith.
Each person is own thier own path, by showing that yours is a superior path, and in prayer, she someday walk with you.

Peace, Deacon Frank

PS. there is no stangeness to the Catholic faith, it is the one true faith and contains the fullness of God’s Salvation for us. The strangeness comes in protesting against it.

Rather, I would invite her to adoration of the Blesed Sacrament. There, if her heart is open and seeking, she will find -]something/-] Someone that she has not yet experienced on such a personal level. And, no worlds are needed.

I think it’d be best to avoid other denominations, because she is pulling you to theirs rather than your pulling her to yours, one thing.

Best to meet either at a Catholic Church or neutral site.

What po18guy said. :thumbsup:

I would advise continued dialogue with her instead of attending protestant services. Here is some advice from a CAL apologist who is also a priest.

In the first place a Catholic has no business attending Protestant church services even occasionally. To participate in a heretical worship service and especially a communion service can be sinful for a Catholic because such an act is an affirmation of what we believe to be untrue. To attend an ecumenical service or a wedding or baptism is allowed, but Catholics are not allowed to attend such churches for the main reason of worship. Now if there are no Catholic churches in the vicinity on a Sunday, Catholics are allowed to participate in the Liturgy of Churches whose clergy are validly ordained such as the Eastern Orthodox Churches—including the reception of the Eucharist. Although we consider them to be in schism (not in union with the Pope) with the Catholic Church, such Churches are not heretical and share our basic beliefs.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

Being closer to the truth is always better than being further away from it, but I don’t see much good in trying to attend an evangelical service with her at times since she’s already showing a lack of passion towards religion in general. If you’re a Catholic and you believe in the Catholic Church, then charitably invite your friend to Mass. If they don’t want to attend, then I would not try assuaging her into other circles of Christianity. What would be the strategy here? “Well, since the Mass didn’t really fit your style, maybe this particular service would be better suited for you?”

This can lead into two major problems. 1) It can be silently implicit that an evangelical service is an equal alternative to a Mass, 2) It encourages a mentality where a person is fitting their religious convictions to themselves, rather than fitting themselves to their religious convictions.

There is a time for everything. Your friend may need answers more than she needs experience. The Mass is experiential, and for an outsider, it is probably going to seem very bizarre and perhaps meaninglessly ritualistic to them. It is not necessarily going to be instantly attractive for every person, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have the potential to become attractive for them. For an 8-year-old witnessing a stranger giving live birth, it might be disgusting. For a husband witnessing that same person - his wife - giving live birth, it could be absolutely phenomenal. Both of them are witnessing the same event, so why is one revolted and the other exhilarated? Because the two of them have extremely different dispositions. It is the same way with Mass.

My wife and I have grown children who are Protestants and they are inviting us to their churches for various Christmas activities( cantatas and such) I know they don’t like that we are Catholics and want to “convert” us back to being Protestants. But we are not sure what to do. We don’t want to go back to being Protestant, even though that is seemingly what they want. They won’t come to anything at our Catholic parish because that is “heathen”:shrug: We would sure like some advice on how to proceed.:eek:

Some excellent replies! I perhaps should have mentioned I am very committed to the Catholic faith.

In light of what others have said, I think the best approach would be simply raising religious discussions, not in a “pushy” way but when appropriate and try to raise my friend’s consciousness of the spiritual life in that manner.

Thank you all for your replies and God Bless

On a related note, I have twice attended Protestant services at others’ invitation twice in my life, so by no means a regular occurrence… Does this require confessing?

I wouldn’t think so. As long as you have fulfilled your Sabbath obligations by going to Mass and not replaced with a protestant service and didn’t receive communion at the protestant service.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.