End near for Food Stamps, WIC[,] if gov't shutdown continues

Link

From the article: “The food stamp program is scheduled to run out at the end of the month” if the shutdown continues, Juliette Tennert, chief economist for the Governor’s Office of Management and Budget, told the committee.

From another source: Crossroads Urban Center, a private social services organization, posted a copy the letter it received from the USDA on its Facebook page, together with the following message:

This letter appears to tell states to hold Food Stamp benefits for November pending further notice. Hopefully Congress will make a deal on the national budget and debt soon so people get their benefits next month!

I realize this may be superceded by news that compromise is reached on the issues, but I think there are two important points to consider:

1. The federal government shows that it holds the power of survival. If for some reason it decides or is unable to pay, people will go hungry,

2. And what happens if the federal government decides not or is unable to pay the subsidies of the ACA?

It’s embarassing to be in the nation currently with all the problems with the debt ceiling, budget etc.
Mary.

The two football teams are just playing a game so that, like 5 year olds, “Nyah, nyah. WE got concessions from YOU. Which means we’re better.”

Peace,
Ed

I don’t feel embarrassed… I didn’t have anything to do with it. But, ooouuu, I feel angry and depressed about the sorry state of our government.

Oh, would that it were merely football! Unfortunately, the stakes are much higher :frowning:

It’s a scare story.

I understand that it was a political tactic to scare the Reublicans into ending the shut-down–the point is that they have the power to do this. And now they have the will to threaten it.

What happens when they have the will to actually do it? And they have even more people to harm through the ACA? That’s my point.

Lord, have mercy on us.
Christ, have mercy on us.
Lord, have mercy on us, Christ hear us.
Christ, graciously hear us.
God, the Father of heaven, have mercy on us.
God, the Son, Redeemer of the world, ….
God, the Holy Spirit, …
Holy Trinity, One God, …
Immaculate Mary, Mother of God, pray for us.
Holy Mary, Mother of pure love, …
Holy Mary, Comforter of the afflicted, …
Holy Mary, Queen of all the saints, …
Holy Mary, Model of life for Saint Rita, …
St. Rita, our advocate and protectress, …
St. Rita, beloved by the Lord, …
St. Rita given special grace from heaven, …
St. Rita, remarkable in childhood, …
St. Rita, model of obedience to God’s Will, …
St. Rita, of untiring patience, …
St. Rita, model of Christian mothers, …
St. Rita, mirror for Christian spouses, …
St. Rita, heroic in sacrifice, …
St. Rita, generous in forgiving, …
St. Rita, martyr in penitence, …
St. Rita, embracing humility and poverty, …
St. Rita, exemplary as a widow, …
St. Rita, prompt to answer the divine call, …
St. Rita, patient in suffering, …
St. Rita, mirror of religious observance, …
St. Rita, mystical rose of every virtue, …
St. Rita, enamored of the Passion of Christ, …
St. Rita, pierced with a thorn, …
St. Rita, in ecstasy before the Blessed Sacrament, …
St. Rita, consumed with Divine Love, …
St. Rita, received into heaven with joy, …
St. Rita, incorrupt in your chaste body, …
St. Rita, advocate of impossible cases, …
St. Rita, persevering in prayer, …
St. Rita, help of those in need, …
Lamb of God, Who takes away the sins of the world, Spare us, O Lord.
Lamb of God, Who takes away the sins of the world, Graciously hear us, O Lord.
Lamb of God, Who takes away the sins of the world, Have mercy on us.
:signofcross:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.