End of an Era: James Dobson Departs Focus on the Family

By Peter J. Smith COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado, February 24, 2010 (LifeSiteNews.com) - After 33 years at Focus on the Family, psychologist Dr. James Dobson bids farewell on Friday to the Christian ministry he founded, and brings his radio presence at the organization to an end. But...

Full article...

As a former Protestant, Dr. James Dobson is a powerful speaker and activist for his beliefs.

I don't think he has ever changed his religious affiliation, so I don't know what "former" means. Along with thousands of parents I pay my tribute to him as someone who was key in helping me raise my children and deal with special needs and challenges.

Dr. Dodson, you will be missed. You where an advocate for Christian morality in an increasingly atheistic age

God Bless You.

James Dobson is about as "Christian" as Pat Robertson and Fred Phelps...

[quote="puzzleannie, post:3, topic:188355"]
I don't think he has ever changed his religious affiliation, so I don't know what "former" means. Along with thousands of parents I pay my tribute to him as someone who was key in helping me raise my children and deal with special needs and challenges.

[/quote]

I believe the poster meant that he is a former Protestant, not Dobson, who remains a Protestant.

I have the utmost respect for James Dobson. His radio program and books were wonderful resources in raising our children. God Bless this dear man of God.

[quote="Boddhissatva, post:5, topic:188355"]

[/quote]

Please elaborate on such a very judgemental statement. Why not throw the pope in with them too? I know, I know, shouldn't feed the trolls.

[/quote]

and you are qualified to make those judgements because . . .

No, Pat roberston, Dobson and phelps are no where in the same league as the Pope.

Nice try though.

Poor grammar on my part. I meant “Speaking as a former Protestant myself, Dr. Dobson …” After I’d sent off the post, I wondered if my wording would be misconstrued.

He’s still Protestant.

[quote="Boddhissatva, post:10, topic:188355"]
No, Pat roberston, Dobson and phelps are no where in the same league as the Pope.

Nice try though.

[/quote]

And Dobson is nowhere near being in the same league as Phelps.

Nice try though.:rolleyes:

Dobson is an amazing man. I think he would make a great Catholic! :thumbsup:

[/quote]

I'm aware of eye popping statements made by both Robertson and Phelps (if I'm remembering the right guy). Would you care to shock me with some gems from Dr. D? I never recall hearing anything remotely offensive from him. (but then I don't listen to protestant radio much).

I used to listen to Dobson when I drove to work and I looked forward to his daily comments. He will be missed I am sure. However, he makes a good point that there is a time to pass the leadership roles. I wish some of our older senators and congressmen would do the same.

I can't imagine anyone ever saying a bad thing about Dobson.

[quote="manualman, post:13, topic:188355"]
I'm aware of eye popping statements made by both Robertson and Phelps (if I'm remembering the right guy). Would you care to shock me with some gems from Dr. D? I never recall hearing anything remotely offensive from him. (but then I don't listen to protestant radio much).

[/quote]

After further review, James Dobson is not as egregious as Phelps or Robertson.

I retract my previous statement.

[quote="Boddhissatva, post:15, topic:188355"]
After further review, James Dobson is not as egregious as Phelps or Robertson.

I retract my previous statement.

[/quote]

Thanks for the honesty. Us catholics are also sometimes susceptible to "guilt by association" judgements as well. Good lesson for us all.

Many on the leftist worldview detest Dr. Dobson utterly because he speaks forcefully about the sanctity of life from conception to death, appreciates the God given reality of marriage being a supernatural union of man and woman, and speaks out against the cultural trend that says faith must be something practiced in private and Sundays and hidden out of sight and mind the rest of the week (if dealt with at all). You may disagree with him, but don't paint him with the painbrush of those men who've discredited themselves.

[quote="Pro_Life_News, post:1, topic:188355"]
By Peter J. Smith COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado, February 24, 2010 (LifeSiteNews.com) - After 33 years at Focus on the Family, psychologist Dr. James Dobson bids farewell on Friday to the Christian ministry he founded, and brings his radio presence at the organization to an end. But...

Full article...

[/quote]

Who cares what this heretic does?

[quote="SBH, post:17, topic:188355"]

[/quote]

Learn the definition before applying it to people please. Dobson has never been a catholic. You can't accurately call him a heretic. And simply throwing rhetorical bombs at anyone not catholic isn't exactly helpful either.

[quote="SBH, post:17, topic:188355"]

[/quote]

Explain, or are you just another troll?

[quote="elgar, post:19, topic:188355"]
Explain, or are you just another troll?

[/quote]

Explain what? Dobson is not Catholic, therefore he is not Christian. Outside the Church there is no salvation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.