End of times - signs

i hear a lot about how so many prophesies are coming true…
i can’t help but wonder
what are a few of those prophesies?
i’m not aware of one.
but then i don’t even know what was prophesised

Today’s global abortion culture

The Bible passage below talks about sin that is associated with women. I believe this can only be about abortion since a man can participate in an abortion or even be the abortionist, but it’s only possible for a woman to get pregnant and then kill her own baby. That’s why the ones who are against any limits on abortion always say that it’s a women’s issue. And that’s why the euphemisms and arguments for it they have are things such as “women’s rights” or “a woman’s right to choose” or “it’s my body” or they say it’s a “women’s health” issue.

“But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of stress. For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, inhuman, implacable, slanderers, profligates, fierce, haters of good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, holding the form of religion but denying the power of it. Avoid such people. For among them are those who make their way into households and capture weak women, burdened with sins and swayed by various impulses, who will listen to anybody and can never arrive at a knowledge of the truth.” - 2 Timothy 3:1-7

It is truly a waste of time to speculate on the end times.

Every generation since the resurrection has thought that it would happen in their lifetime.

Xe nâng Nissan (Nissan Forklift) t? lâu nay du?c dánh giá lÃ* dòng xe nâng siêu b?n t?i Nh?t B?n. T? nam 1975, hãng Nissan dã cho ra d?i m?u xe nâng hÃng d?u tiên ki?u Forklift Truck Nissan nhu m?t ph?n trong chi?n lu?t kinh doanh xe d?ng co c?a hãng Nissan. T?n d?ng du?c uu th? v? h? th?ng qu?n lý và phân ph?i c?a mình, Hãng xe nâng hÃng Nissan dã nhanh chóng dua s?n ph?m xe nâng hÃng ra kh?p th? gi?i. D? d?y m?nh hon n?a chi?n lu?c kinh doanh xe nâng hÃng Nissan Forklift và phát huy hon n?a nh?ng th? m?nh c?a xe nâng hÃng Nissan, tháng 10 nam 2010, công ty NISSAN FORKLIFT du?c thÃnh l?p vÃ* tr? thÃnh t?ng công ty chuyên trách v? xe nâng hÃng Nissan Forklift.
Hotline: ** "0909648178" Ms. Thúy HoÃng 155thuyhoang@gmail.com ho?c thuyhoang@xenangnissan.com
Xe nâng hÃ
ng Nissan Forklift du?c k? th?a nh?ng uu di?m t? d?ng co d?n thi?t k? c?a hãng Nissan Motor. V?i d?ng co m?nh m?, xe nâng hÃng Nissan Forklift dã tr? thÃnh thuong hi?u xe nâng hÃng siêu b?n t?i Nh?t B?n và dang r?t du?c ua chu?ng t?i Vi?t Nam.
Các dòng xe nâng hÃng Nissan Forklift v?i nh?ng d?c di?m:
**Xe nâng hÃ
ng NISSAN Forklift d?ng co Diesel vÃ* LPG (xang Gas) s?c nâng t? 1.5 d?n 7.0 t?n.**
Dây lÃ* dòng xe nâng hÃng s? d?ng d?ng co Diesel ho?c LPG tùy theo nhu c?u s? d?ng c?a quý khách. D?ng co Diesel lÃm cho xe nâng hÃng Nissan Forklift tr? nên m?nh m?, chuyên dùng cho các ?ng d?ng dòi h?i b?n b? liên t?c. Xe nâng hÃng d?ng co Xang Gas LPG giúp cho xe nâng hÃng Nissan Forklift tr? nên linh ho?t hon bao gi? h?t. D?m b?o tÃnh liên t?c vÃ* ?n d?nh cho xe nâng NISSAN Forklift.

Xe nâng di?n NISSAN Forklift s?c nâng t? 1.5 d?n 3.0 t?n.
Hãng Nissan Forklift có các dòng xe nâng di?n ki?u Forklift Truck 4 bánh ng?i lái t?o s? tho?i mái vÃ* phát huy h?t nh?ng uu di?m v?n có ? xe nâng hÃng d?ng co. Xe nâng di?n Nissan Battery Forklift chuyên dùng cho các khu v?c dòi h?i v? ti?ng ?n và v? sinh môi tru?ng.
NgoÃi ra Nissan Forklift còn có dòng xe nâng hÃng lo?i ba bánh ng?i lái Nissan Battery Forklift Three Wheels, v?i kh? nang chuy?n hu?ng linh ho?t, chuyên dùng cho các khu v?c có l?i di h?p mÃ* xe nâng di?n 4 bánh không ho?t d?ng du?c.
Xe nâng hÃ*ng di?n Reach Truck Nissan t? 1.0 t?n d?n 3.0 t?n:

Hãng Nissan Forklift có các dòng xe nâng hÃng di?n t?m cao dÃnh cho các kho k? cao. V?i kh? nang nâng lên t?i trên 10m, xe nâng di?n Nissan Reach Truck có th? giúp b?n hoÃn thÃnh nh?ng công vi?c trên cao m?t cách d? dÃng nhât.
Xe nâng Nissan cho nhÃ
kho g?m Stacker, Other Picker, pallet Mover.
Nissan Lift Truck có các dòng xe cho kho hÃng và xe nâng kho l?nh. Chuyên dùng d? nâng h? Pallet trong kho hÃng ho?c di chuy?n các Pallet hÃng m?t cách linh ho?t.

Toyota, Nissan, TCM, Yale, Hyster, Linde, Still, Crown, Nichiyu, Mitsubishi, Huyndai, mga, Komatsu, Unicarriers,Nissan Unicarriers, TCM Unicarriers, Cho thue xe nang, xe nang, xe nang, xe nang hang, Caterpillar

People have been saying things like this since history began. In my teens my family had the “bright” idea to leave the Catholic Church and join the Jehovah’s Witnesses–they are one of the prime examples of claiming that present events “prove” we are living in the end times.

“All these earthquakes and wars and problems we see are proof we are living in the end times!” they claimed. “We come in the name of Jehovah! The end has come!”

People like these forget that there are warnings regarding speculating on the end in Scripture. For example, 2 Thessalonians is a letter written to Christians who, believing they were witnessing the end times, had begun to “prepare” by no longer participating in daily life activities such as working at making a living. Paul stresses that the Day of the Lord wouldn’t come until other events outside of their current comprehension unfolded (associated with the vague “lawless one” or “man of lawlessness,” the details of which even Paul didn’t have).

Christ did not expect his disciples to remain idle after his Ascension, as the angels made plain when they asked those who witnessed Christ return to heaven why they were standing around expecting to see something more happen. (Acts 1:11) But the speculation of the Thessalonians regarding the end, believing it was imminent, caused Paul to correct them with the words:

Keep from believers who are living in idleness [not participating in life like everyone else because they believe the end is near] and not according to the tradition that they received from us.–2 Thessalonians 3:6.

We should take note from this that Apostolic Tradition does not include anywhere a requisite that we should take it upon ourselves to speculate whether or not we are witnessing the signs of the end times. On the contrary, the opposite is true in that we are to always live in readiness for that day knowing fully that “it is not for you to know the times or periods that the Father has set by his own authority.”–Acts 1:6-7; see specifically Matthew 24:42-44.

The signs given in Scripture about the end times are not there to engage us in a guessing game or laid out as some type of “secret code” that only true believers would be able to understand. When the time comes it will be apparent to all that the end is upon us, “as the lightning comes from the east and flashes as far as the west.”–Matthew 24:27.

When religions and people who claim “the signs of the times” prove we are upon us and so is the end, we should remember what our Lord said as recorded in Luke 21:8-9:

Watch out; don’t be fooled. Many men, claiming to speak for me, will come and say, “I am he!” and, “The time has come!” But don’t follow them. Don’t be afraid when you hear of wars and revolutions; such things must happen first, but they do not mean that the end is near.–Good News Translation, Catholic Edition.

It should be noted that the expression “I am he!” in verse 8 is actually “I AM” in the Greek. This means the verse can also read that many people "will come say, “I AM,” or “will use the Name of God and say ‘The time [of the end] has come!’” Sound familiar?

You can find these prophecies of Jesus in Matthew 24 and 25, Mark 13, and Luke 21, but you will also find Christ telling people that these are the signs of the destruction of the Temple and that none of his disciples would no the exact time of either event. The prophecies are also warnings to avoid wrapping oneself up in trying to guess which signs mean what, and to keep busy living the Gospel in all we say and do.

There is nothing wrong with studying about end times, as a matter of fact that’s good. The problem is there has been people who have made a mockery of it and have given end times studies bad name. and there is nothing wrong with expecting the second coming of Christ in your day in time otherwise Paul and Christ himself would not have told us to be watching. Those warnings given in the Bible about the expectations of Christ coming again were meant to keep us alert and sober.

I must concur.

Though I do not take this statement as necessarily directed at me, it made me think about what I wrote. I may have made it sound like I was stating it was incorrect to study about the “end times” or that the Church itself is not keeping watch. I can also see where my post might be read that way.

So do attach the above post to my own as included but not clearly-voiced sentiments in what I originally wrote. I read the opening post to this thread as if someone was hearing such talk of the end from non-Catholic sources that were inclined to use the subject as a proselytizing tool. My comments were more focused on how to counter such claims by someone using it in such a scenario.

There is an entire field of study in Catholicism called “eschatology,” which involves the subject of the end times, death, and eternal reward, Heaven, Hell, etc. The Church indeeds discusses and studies these things, and Catholics do live in expectation of life in the world to come, as we speak of at each Mass where we quote the Creed.

Kudos, Copeland 3! :thumbsup:

thx guys…i agree with everything that was said above me
but still i’d like to know what prophesies people are talking about

as you already mentioned wars and weather was one of them
is there anything more specific people think of when they think of end of time prophesies

The end of times came for me when i said ‘I Do’ lol

Very, very true. :thumbsup:

The details are many and found in Matthew 24 and 25, Mark 13, and Luke 21.

It is hard to get specific as to what people mean when they talk about “signs of the end” as there are many “doomsday” cults and religions that lean towards “doomsday” preaching, and each has as varied a focus on things as there are grains of sand on a beach. Not all of these are Christian, and some aren’t even religious or believe in God. Some get their ideas from secular prophets, others from self-proclaimed prophets living or dead.

As to what you will find in the above Bible texts:

Wars are not necessarily a sign of the end, depending on how one reads the above texts. Some scholars view Jesus’ words as stating that wars will be a prelude before the end, whereas the way the same discourse of Jesus in Luke is presented makes it read as if Jesus is telling his disciples not to worry or see wars as part of the sign of the end.

And any natural phenomenon you will read in these Bible texts is viewed either the same way, or as in the case of the descriptions of the heavenly bodies, often interpreted as symbolic of gloom.

The texts are first and foremost about the destruction of the Second (Herod’s) Temple that occurred in 70 AD. When one reads the texts and interprets how they were fulfilled then, it is clear that much is meant to be read symbolically. This would mean that one cannot expect these texts to be read literally for application regarding the end of the world.

There are also scattered references in the Bible to the end that some apply as being eschatological and that others do not. The Book of Revelation (Apocalypse) for example is often one that gets read by some doomsday religions as a coded prediction of how history is to unfold in the end times.

Some groups have a belief that we are in the end times, like the Latter Day Saints and Seventh-Day Adventists, but their views are far less radical than that of others. They generally view themselves as existing in the “latter days” of history as opposed to offering detailed explanations of prophecies found in Scripture.

In contrast the mainstay of what the Jehovah’s Witnesses preach is that the end signs are: 1) wars and rumors of wars, 2) earthquakes, 3) disease, 4) growing lawlessness and immorality and 5) the preaching work by and the mere existence of the religion of the Jehovah’s Witnesses themselves. They have even set the following dates for the end of the world, including 1874, 1914, 1925, 1975, and before the year 2000. Each generation of Witnesses since the 1870s has proclaimed they would see Armageddon in their day before experiencing natural death, but all of them have passed away.

Other faiths, like the Baha’i, have their own views of the end that can often differ greatly from these while outwardly adopting forms of Adventism.

:D:p:D (never married)

People have been saying that it is the end of times since about AD 40. So, take a deep breath and stay awake. :slight_smile: :shrug:

In the diary of St. Faustina, Jesus mentions a lot that he wants to spread divine mercy as much as possible because the final day comes.

“Write down these words, my daughter. Speak to the world about My mercy; let all mankind recognize My unfathomable mercy. It is a sign for the end times; after it will come the day of justice. While there is still time let them have recourse to the fount of My mercy … (848).”

That ignores the fact that there are a lot of things that are unprecedented in our times such as a global apostasy, global push for abortion and so-called same-sex “marriage”, more Christians who were killed for the faith in the past century than all other earlier centuries combined, and the threat of the world being destroyed by nuclear war. Why do you believe the End Times events are written about in the Holy Bible if we are never supposed to think about it? Also, did you know that the End Times are contemplated at every Catholic Mass in our Creed and in the prayers that the priest offers? The only thing it says in the Holy Bible that we are not supposed to do is try to predict the exact time such as the day and hour when the Second Coming will happen. One of these generations is going to eventually be right about Jesus returning in their lifetime. And probably about 90% of the global End Times prophecies have taken place in just the past 100 years.
For as the lightning comes from the east and shines as far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of man. Wherever the body is, there the eagles will be gathered together. "Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken; then will appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory; and he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other. "From the fig tree learn its lesson: as soon as its branch becomes tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near. (Matthew 24:27-32)

End times will bring greater persecution to Christians, Pope says

These worldly powers which seek to destroy God, noted the Pope, also manifest in the contemporary desire to keep religion as “a private thing,” alluding to the fact that today many religious symbols have become taboo.

“You must obey the orders which come from worldly powers. You can do many things, beautiful things, but not adore God. Worship is prohibited. This is at the center of the end of time.”

Once we “reach the fullness of this pagan attitude,” the Pope continued, “then yes, he will come…’ truly the Son of Man will come in a cloud with great power and glory.’”

There are lots of them, I thought Id post 10 to give you an idea.

1. False Bible teachers would be money hungry. They would be smooth talkers, have many followers and slur the Christian faith (2 Peter 2:1-3).

2 Peter 2:1-3 – (NKJV) – Destructive Doctrines – 2 But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction.

A growing number of TV evangelists epitomize this as well as many in the ecumenical movement.

——————–

1. Mankind would be capable of destroying all life (Matthew 24:21-22).

Matthew 24:21-22 – (NKJV) – 21 For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22 And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect’s sake those days will be shortened.

Consider that when Jesus made this prediction the armaments of His day were swords and spears. But today, with nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons, it is possible to wipe out all flesh on planet earth.

——————–

1. The use of nuclear weapons anticipated (Zechariah 14:12).

Zechariah 14:12 – (NKJV) – 12 And this shall be the plague with which the Lord will strike all the people who fought against Jerusalem:

Their flesh shall dissolve while they stand on their feet,
    Their eyes shall dissolve in their sockets,
    And their tongues shall dissolve in their mouths.

The neutron bomb melts (dissolves) its victims – just as Zechariah predicted 2,500 years ago. This was unimaginable in Zechariah’s day.

——————–

1. There would be a global cry for peace (1 Thessalonians 5:3).

1 Thessalonians 5:3 – (NKJV) – 3 For when they say, “Peace and safety!” then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape.

Never has there been such a concerted, global effort to bring about peace at any cost as there is in our day.

——————–

1. Global communication foreseen (Revelation 11:9-10;17:8).

Revelation 11:9-10 -(NKJV) – 9 Then those from the peoples, tribes, tongues, and nations will see their dead bodies three-and-a-half days, and not allow their dead bodies to be put into graves. 10 And those who dwell on the earth will rejoice over them, make merry, and send gifts to one another, because these two prophets tormented those who dwell on the earth.

The Bible prophesies that the entire world will “see” certain events unfold. The invention of the television and the deployment of global satellite networks during the 20th century allow news to travel the world at the speed of light for the first time ever. Yet in John’s day, news traveled at the speed of horseback.

——————–

1. The Christian gospel would be preached as a witness to all nations (Matthew 24:14, Mark 13:10; Revelation 14:6).

Matthew 24:14 – (NKJV) -14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

Mark 13:10 – (NKJV) – 10 And the gospel must first be preached to all the nations.

Revelation 14:6 – (NKJV) – The Proclamations of Three Angels – 6 Then I saw another angel flying in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach to those who dwell on the earth—to every nation, tribe, tongue, and people—

Today, portions or all of the Bible have been translated into over 2,300 languages and dialects covering well over 90% of the world’s population.

——————–

1. The possession of Jerusalem would be at the center of international turmoil (Zechariah 12:3).

Zechariah 12:3 – (NKJV) – 3 And it shall happen in that day that I will make Jerusalem a very heavy stone for all peoples; all who would heave it away will surely be cut in pieces, though all nations of the earth are gathered against it.

Almost daily the world news reports on the conflict over Jerusalem.

——————–

1. The fact that God once flooded the earth (the Noahic Flood) would be denied (2 Peter 3:5-6).

2 Peter 3:5-6 – (NKJV) – 5 For this they willfully forget: that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of water and in the water, 6 by which the world that then existed perished, being flooded with water.

There is a mass of fossil evidence to prove this fact, yet it is flatly ignored by most of the scientific world because it was judgment form God on man’s wickedness.

——————–

1. Russia (Magog) would rise as a military power in the last days (Ezekiel 38).

Ezekiel 38:1-6 – (NKJV) – Gog and Allies Attack Israel – 38 Now the word of the Lord came to me, saying, 2 “Son of man, set your face against Gog, of the land of Magog, the prince of Rosh, Meshech, and Tubal, and prophesy against him, 3 and say, ‘Thus says the Lord God: Behold, I am against you, O Gog, the prince of Rosh, Meshech, and Tubal. 4 I will turn you around, put hooks into your jaws, and lead you out, with all your army, horses, and horsemen, all splendidly clothed, a great company with bucklers and shields, all of them handling swords. 5 Persia, Ethiopia, and Libya are with them, all of them with shield and helmet; 6 Gomer and all its troops; the house of Togarmah from the far north and all its troops—many people are with you.

——————–

1. The nation of Israel would be born in one day (Isaiah 66:8).

Isaiah 66:8 – (NKJV)

8 Who has heard such a thing?
    Who has seen such things?
    Shall the earth be made to give birth in one day?
    Or shall a nation be born at once?
    For as soon as Zion was in labor,
    She gave birth to her children.

On May 14, 1948 Israel became a nation. Never in recorded history has a nation been dispersed for hundreds of years and then regathered. Yet, God said it and God has done it before our very eyes!

If you google ‘list of end time prophecies’ you will find hundreds of them.

I would post more, but it takes up alot of space, so I will just give you an idea on what to look for.

I think it is clear from nearly all the prophecies, that we are indeed in the end times, nearly every other religion is preaching this, all except the catholic church for some reason.

So Google is now a reliable source of prophecy?

St. Google, ora pro nobis? I don’t think so.

[quote=2 Peter 1: 20-21]That no prophecy of scripture is made by private interpretation.
For prophecy came not by the will of man at any time: but the holy men of God spoke, inspired by the Holy Ghost.
[/quote]

I would post more, but it takes up alot of space, so I will just give you an idea on what to look for.

I think it is clear from nearly all the prophecies, that we are indeed in the end times, nearly every other religion is preaching this, all except the catholic church for some reason.

“Every other religion”?

I live in a country where the most common religions are Hinduism and Islam.

Neither has an unhealthy obsession with the end-times, and in fact, they find the obsession of some Protestants with the same rather laughable.

If we look at other religions:
Orthodox Christianity - no end-times obsession
Buddhism - don’t believe in end-times
Animism - ditto
Protestantism - a wide variety of opinions. Calvin himself called chiliasm “childish”.

It’s true that a few Protestants have made end-times prophecies, most notoriously people like Hal Lindsey, Pat Robertson and Harold Camping. They have all been proved wrong. This is a sobering thought, especially when we think of what the Lord God taught Moses about false prophecy:

[quote=Deuteronomy 18: 20-22]But the prophet, who being corrupted with pride, shall speak in my name things that I did not command him to say, or in the name of strange gods, shall be slain.
And if in silent thought thou answer: How shall I know the word that the Lord hath not spoken?
Thou shalt have this sign: Whatsoever that same prophet foretelleth in the name of the Lord, and it cometh not to pass: that thing the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath forged it by the pride of his mind: and therefore thou shalt not fear him.
[/quote]

No, Google is not the source, its only a tool to use to search for the sources.

You cannot honestly look at some of those 10 things I posted and say they are not accurate though…they have or are happening…only have to watch the news to recognize it.

Well, let’s leave Google out of it, then. My apologies. :slight_smile:

But let’s consider the 10 items on that list:

1. False Bible teachers - have been around since the birth of the Church. Look at all the fake “Gnostic Gospels” for example.

2. Dangerous doctrine - again, this began in the Apostolic Age. St. Paul’s letters and the Book of Revelation are full of details. Gnosticism itself is said, according to tradition, to have originated from Simon Magus who is mentioned in the Book of Acts. Compared to him, televangelists are pretty harmless.

3. Zechariah 14: 12 refers to a plague - meaning a sickness. Arguably, it could refer to biological warfare, but to see a reference to nuclear weapons there (or in 2 Peter 3) is rather dodgy eisegesis.

4. A global cry for peace - this has been around since Augustus Caesar and the Pax Romana. Even the UN isn’t a new idea; consider the League of Nations.

5. The passage you cite deals with the two witnesses, who have miraculous powers. Even if we see a reference to global communication there, it does not bind us to this time period; if civilization survives that long, there could easily be global communication in 3,000 or 5,000 A.D.

6. The Gospel being preached as a witness to all nations - Many Bible commentators see that portion of Matthew 24 as referring to the fall of Jerusalem in 70 A.D.; in this sense, “all nations” would refer to the Roman Empire. Besides, even today, the Gospel hasn’t reached everyone.

7. Possession of Jerusalem - again, this isn’t anything particularly new; what about the Crusades?

8. 2 Peter 3 refers not only to the flood, but to God creating the world. Fools have been denying the existence of God and His works since Psalm 14, and probably earlier than that.

9. The identification of Magog with Russia is questionable. Magog may mean simply “land of Gog” and may refer to pagan rulers typified, or in general.

10. Israel became a nation on that day, certainly, but only after years of negotiation and manoeuvering. India also “became a nation” on 15th August 1947, but it was a long road there.

In other words: some of these “signs” are based on dubious exegesis; others have been present in the past as well; and even those which seemingly bespeak of today can always be fulfilled in the future. I agree that this is just my opinion, but it’s one based on careful reading and study. Let’s just agree to disagree on this one. :slight_smile:

The peace of Christ be with you. :thumbsup:

All nations doesn’t mean every individual person. For all practical purposes the gospel was preached to all nations, including the Muslim ones since they all used to be Christian nations. We were moving forward for about the first 1,000 years of Christendom in preaching the word to all nations. We reached a peak. And since then we have been in a dramatic decline where now just about every nation on earth that used to consider itself to be a Christian nation has now officially apostatized both in government and in popular culture. The same countries that used to be Christian have now embraced abortion, homosexual behavior, and atheism. This leads us to Jesus asking about the world in the End Times, “when the Son of man comes, will he find faith on earth?”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.