End Time Markers -- Are They Occurring?

PART ONE

I think that the End Time markers – the ones actually predicted by Scripture – are beginning to occur.

THE LEAFING OF THE FIG TREE. In the Bible, the Fig Tree Type – fig trees themselves, figs, fig branches, etc. – refer to the Old Law or The Law of the Commandments, to Hebews and Jews, to Judaism, and to Israel. Example: Jeremiah 24.

Now see what Jesus says at Matthew 24:32-33: “Learn a lesson from the fig tree. When its branch becomes tender and sprouts leaves, you know that summer is near. In the same way, when you see all these things, know that he is near, at the gates.”

“Summer” is harvest time. The “he” that is near, even at the gates, is Christ the Second Coming.

When did the fig tree “sprout leaves”? In 1948, when Israel was re-created by the U.N.

I believe that the Fundamentalists are right on this one.

WOE TO PREGNANT WOMEN AND NURSING MOTHERS IN THOS DAYS. In His Eschatalogical homily about the End Times, Christ warns, at Matthew 24:19, “Woe to pregnant women and nursing mothers in those days.”

Almost all who read this auytomatically assume that these are words of sympathy from Christ, reflecting how hard end time events will be on women “in the delicate condition.”

I think that the exact opposite is true.

I think that these are words of damnation.

Ridiculous? Well, look at the word “woe,” ouai in Greek. Jesus uses that word “woe” about 30 times elsewhere in the four gospels together. In every single case, without exception, “woe” is a threat!
Examples: (1) "Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty deeds done in your midst had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would long ago have repented in sackcloth and ashes. Matthew 11:21. (2) “Woe to the world because of things that cause sin! Such things must come, but woe to the one through whom they come!” Matthew 18:7. (3) “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites. You lock the kingdom of heaven before human beings. You do not enter yourselves, nor do you allow entrance to those trying to enter.” Matthew 23:13. (4) “The Son of Man indeed goes, as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed. It would be better for that man if he had never been born.” Matthew 26:24. (5) “But woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation. But woe to you who are filled now, for you will be hungry. Woe to you who laugh now, for you will grieve and weep. Woe to you when all speak well of you, for their ancestors treated the false prophets in this way.” Luke 6:24-26.

They are all like this.

Now, if “woe” is a threat, why in Heavens name would Jesus nastily threaten pregnant women and nursing mothers? Is He crazy?

No. Jesus is referring to woman who get abortions and partial birth abortions! “Pregnant women” would be the women who get abortions. “Nursing mothers,” literally thelazo or “nipplers,” would be women who are very close to giving birth, at the point of lactating, who dispose of their babies by partial birth abortion.

The reason why Jesus says, “Woe” to these folks “in those days,” the End times, is because the abortion and partial birth abortion movements, and the mass death – over 30 million dead so far – they cause, are an End Times marker!

**ON THE DAY WHEN LOT LEFT SODOM…SO IT WILL BE ON THE DAY THE SON OF MAN IS REVEALED. **When Christ says this at Luke 17:28-30…

Similarly, as it was in the days of Lot: they were eating, drinking, buying, selling, planting, building; on the day when Lot left Sodom, fire and brimstone rained from the sky to destroy them all. So it will be on the day the Son of Man is revealed…

…is Jesus saying that there will be a resurgence of socially acceptable homosexuality in the End Times? In Sodom, homosexuality was common and perfectly accepted.

In our day, country after country is caving-in to manmade rule to the effect that it is not only acceptable that homosexuals engage in same-sex buggery, fellatio and cunnilingus, but society will define those as “marriage”!

Is this massive social caving-in to that concept a fulfillment of Christ’s words about the End Times?

THE “GREAT FALLING AWAY.” In 2 Thessalonians 2:3, Paul uses “the Apostasy” – sometimes referred to as the “great” apostasy or the “great” falling away, because in context it is clearly a very significant apostasy – as an End Time indicator.

Right now, today, millions are leaving the Catholic Church for Protestant congregations, or simply not attending church at all, because they resent the Faith’s opposition to contraception. Millions are not going to Church simply because they have been thoroughly socialized by the liberal, “nice guy,” tolerate-everything values in the media, and view church as an unnecessary expense. In Catholic Europe, it’s worse than in America. Churches are almost empty on Sundays.

I say that “The Great Falling Away” referred to by Paul, marking the imminence of the End, is happening now.

This reminds me of the famous quote: "“Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book.”

Thist was written in the first century BC by Cicero.

The point is that as much as things change, they always stay the same.

People in every century have thought they saw the end times coming, based on wars, earthquakes, famines, unrighteousness, and all sorts of things. They’ve always been wrong so far, and there’s no reason to think we’re any more correct thany they.

It comes down to the fact that Jesus said nobody knows when the end times are, and we shouldn’t try to figure it out. The only thing that comes out of that are these ridiculous televangelists whom try to sell us their end time books and make themselves rich off them by scaring people into thinking it’s the end of the world.

BibleReader,

Why does it matter?
For one who follows scripture so closely, the passage to really remember is Matthew 24:44 " 44"For this reason (BF)you also must be ready; for (BG)the Son of Man is coming at an hour when you do not think He will."

If you live your life always ready then the actual End Times is not important. To spend energy and time trying to figure out if we’re in the End Times or not and trying to warn everyone else about it is wasteful as it takes away from energy and time you could be spending on coming to the aid of others or in prayer or with your family.

Besides, the passage about the pregnant women pertains to
… the (T)ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in ((“http://bible.gospelcom.net/passage/?book_id=47&chapter=24&version=49#cen-NASB-23973U”))the holy place (matt 24:15) and specifically for those in Judea at that moment.

Taken out of context many passages in the Bible can freak a person out enough to never want to venture from their bedrooms…that is not the purpose of the Word…instead it is meant to inspire us to go out and spread the Good News to everyone…and that certainly isn’t THE END IS NEAR. The Good News is the end is only the beginning for those who believe in Jesus. Focus energies on the positive, not the negative.

Skimming over what you said Bible reader one thing stuck out at me. Abortions are nothing new, if I recall correctly the Greeks and Egyptians did such things, to name a few.

[quote=YinYangMom]BibleReader,

Why does it matter?
For one who follows scripture so closely, the passage to really remember is Matthew 24:44 " 44"For this reason (BF)you also must be ready; for (BG)the Son of Man is coming at an hour when you do not think He will."

If you live your life always ready then the actual End Times is not important. To spend energy and time trying to figure out if we’re in the End Times or not and trying to warn everyone else about it is wasteful as it takes away from energy and time you could be spending on coming to the aid of others or in prayer or with your family.

Besides, the passage about the pregnant women pertains to
… the (T)ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in ((“http://bible.gospelcom.net/passage/?book_id=47&chapter=24&version=49#cen-NASB-23973U”))the holy place (matt 24:15) and specifically for those in Judea at that moment.

Taken out of context many passages in the Bible can freak a person out enough to never want to venture from their bedrooms…that is not the purpose of the Word…instead it is meant to inspire us to go out and spread the Good News to everyone…and that certainly isn’t THE END IS NEAR. The Good News is the end is only the beginning for those who believe in Jesus. Focus energies on the positive, not the negative.
[/quote]

That’s basically the gist of the Left Behind books, which completley butcher Bible prophecies to say something completely off base.

Absolutely. Look at the world around you. Immorality is constant. From abortion to the gay rights movement. Soon their will be same sex marriage. Look at the violence in the world. Insane, wicked terrorists killing innocent people. Ethiopia will soon have millions of people facing starvation. Look at what comes over you TV and the movies. Sexual situations, cursing and violence. You now see women kissing women on TV and men kissing men. Anything Christian is ridiculed by the liberal media and especially Hollywood film makers.

We have immorality within our own church. Priests who fondle little children sexually and their bishops merely move them to another parish and pay hush money to the parents of the abused. We have priests and bishops who do not withhold the Eucharist from public supporters of pro choice such as John Kerry and Ted Kennedy. We have within our own church those who hate our present Pope because he is to conservative and they hate him because he remains staunch on the pure Catholic teachings. Pope Benedict haters want him to allow priests to marry and women to be ordained as priests and bishops. 

Yes, these are truly troublesome times in our world and **in our own church**. Be faithful to our Lord and to his church.

Also to add, homosexuality acceptance really isn’t new. It was the Greeks, I think who took homosexuality as being acceptable. In Japan it wasn’t uncommon for man-love between samurai’s.

I think many of these people who want to call in the end of times look at things rather narrow-mindedly, they hear things that are going on in the US or narrow out an aspect of life, such as Hollywood and think that is an indicator for the whole world.

The thing is, do we gauge the end of times by looking at only America or a part of England? Shouldn’t we look at the world as a whole?

As one person here pointed out, the more things change the more they stay the same. I know many people may want the end to come, because it would be a real kick to the head that God exists, but are you sure it is -really- something you want to force upon yourselves? Are you sure you will be 100% ready for the end times?

[quote=Lazerlike42]That’s basically the gist of the Left Behind books, which completley butcher Bible prophecies to say something completely off base.
[/quote]

Yes, this sort of Bible exegesis has been named the “string of pearls” type of interpretation. Someone decides that his idea about something, like the end times, is inspired and then gleans the Bible for verses to support that idea. This is the worst possible way to interpret the Bible that has ever come along, apart from the historical-critical method.

Those who ascribe to the dispensationist notion of ages divided by various events in the Bible and the world are just trying to give some kind of authority to their speculations about when Christ will return and the end of the world will take place. But, Jesus never commanded us to try to do anything like that. In fact, he told us that only the Father knew when all these things would happen. So, if Jesus himself was not privy to this information, what makes anyone here on earth think he understands and knows what Our Lord himself claimed not to know?

[quote=justcatholic]Pope Benedict haters want him to allow priests to marry
[/quote]

Just a point: If the Holy Father today decided to admit married men to the priesthood, he would not be changing, not a dot, not an iota, the deposit of the Faith. He would be changing a discipline, something completely within his competance to authorize (unlike the ordination of women). We have had married priests in the past, we’ve had married bishops, we’ve had married popes. We have married priests today in the Latin Rite (former Anglican priests who converted) and we have married priests in all the Eastern Churches who are in submission to the Holy See. I don’t have an opinion either way myself, but those within the Church who have stated that they think we should permit married men to enter the priestly state are not per se disloyal Catholics, unless they’ve lumped this view together with some sort of platform that also advocates for women priests (forbidden by at least the ordinary magisterium and possibly by distinct infallible declaration by HHJPII) or gay marriage, or contraception, or abortion. It is important to distinguish between the two.

Just remember, the end of the world; getting closer every day. :smiley: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=JKirkLVNV]Just a point: If the Holy Father today decided to admit married men to the priesthood, he would not be changing, not a dot, not an iota, the deposit of the Faith. He would be changing a discipline, something completely within his competance to authorize (unlike the ordination of women). We have had married priests in the past, we’ve had married bishops, we’ve had married popes. We have married priests today in the Latin Rite (former Anglican priests who converted) and we have married priests in all the Eastern Churches who are in submission to the Holy See. I don’t have an opinion either way myself, but those within the Church who have stated that they think we should permit married men to enter the priestly state are not per se disloyal Catholics, unless they’ve lumped this view together with some sort of platform that also advocates for women priests (forbidden by at least the ordinary magisterium and possibly by distinct infallible declaration by HHJPII) or gay marriage, or contraception, or abortion. It is important to distinguish between the two.
[/quote]

Liked everything you said except for the bolded word.

We are not in submission, we are in communion.

[quote=Della] In fact, he told us that only the Father knew when all these things would happen. So, if Jesus himself was not privy to this information, what makes anyone here on earth think he understands and knows what Our Lord himself claimed not to know?
[/quote]

I’ve always wondered why people who pour over every comma and period in Holy Writ miss the import of the passage that you cite. We don’t know when it’s going to go down and it’s a ruddy waste of time trying to figure it out. Yet there are whole television programs, not to mention books, devoted to just that!

[quote=ByzCath]Liked everything you said except for the bolded word.

We are not in submission, we are in communion.
[/quote]

Sorry, Byz, I should have used a better term. You are fully CATHOLIC and it would behoove us Latin Riters to remember it.

Many will come to believe that to enter again into our mother’s womb (the movie theater) and be emotionally raped, or worse yet, aborted (The Passion of the Christ) is a true encounter with Christ, while at the same time rejecting as evil the true re-birth into His light, truth and mystery (Mulholland Drive).

[quote=Pace]Many will come to believe that to enter again into our mother’s womb (the movie theater) and be emotionally raped, or worse yet, aborted (The Passion of the Christ) is a true encounter with Christ, while at the same time rejecting as evil the true re-birth into His light, truth and mystery (Mulholland Drive).
[/quote]

Huh?

What does a morally offensive movie like Mulholland Drive have to do with anything? What are you trying to say here?

[quote=ByzCath]Huh?

What does a morally offensive movie like Mulholland Drive have to do with anything? What are you trying to say here?
[/quote]

Oh no I think Pace is the one who always talks about that movie being Christ’s second coming or something.

[quote=Shinobu]Oh no I think Pace is the one who always talks about that movie being Christ’s second coming or something.
[/quote]

Now that you mention it, I think so too.

yes but does anybody know why?

[quote=Lazerlike42]yes but does anybody know why?
[/quote]

It kind of scares me. He has his reasons though, can’t say I agree with them. He just seems to strongly think that movie is Christ’s second coming because of certain “symbols” in the movie which he thinks are signs of Jesus.

In some ways I think he is paid by the movie industry…heh (just joking)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.