End times current or near current?

As a Protestant considering the Catholic Church I am interested to know of catholic beliefs concerning the end of days. If this in the wrong place mods can feel free to move it. Do Catholics believe that we are living in the end times or at least they are fast approaching? When ever I watch the news or whatnot seems to confirm that perception therefore do Catholics believe so? I am genuinely interested in hearing what the Church says about this.

We do not know when the end will come, it could be ten thousand years away. There have been plenty of awful times, and most of them have been a lot worse than today.

Twice during his papacy, Pope Benedict has said the end times are not near.

Peace,
Ed

The Catholic Church’s position seems to be that we will not know the day nor the hour, to always be prepared. The end of the world might come sooner or later, but we also need to be prepared for our own “endtimes”, for our own deaths.

We’re encouraged to approach it with preparation, readiness, perhaps even with optimism, and told not to worry, to trust in God. We don’t know how far away it is. So, we need to always be vigilant, since we don’t know, we are to wait with our “lamps” ready, as it were, since it will come at an hour when we least expect it .

Mark Chapter 13: (New Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition)

31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away. 32 “But about that day or hour no one knows, neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. 33 Beware, keep alert; for you do not know when the time will come. 34 It is like a man going on a journey, when he leaves home and puts his slaves in charge, each with his work, and commands the doorkeeper to be on the watch. 35 Therefore, keep awake—for you do not know when the master of the house will come, in the evening, or at midnight, or at cockcrow, or at dawn, 36 or else he may find you asleep when he comes suddenly. 37 And what I say to you I say to all: Keep awake.”

Does anyone remember all of the dire predictions for the Millenium? Wha’ hoppen to all of the predictors.
This “End Times” thing seems to be the product of “Fire and Brimstone” preachers who earn their livings by scaring the living poo out of their congregations. I do not know of any Clergyman of prominence, Protestent or othewise, who has promulgated this latest fad. I predict the same thing will happen for all of these “End Times” people that happened to the Millenium predictors.
The danger of all of this is that when the End Times does happen, the mass of the people will not believe it (to the peril of their souls), thinking that it is just the blather of charlatans.

Matthew 24:36 “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only.

The Catholic Church’s position is that which Jesus teaches: no man can know. It could be in three seconds or three billion years. When the End Times happen doesn’t matter; we can’t be like the little boy when Christmas is near who only then begins being good. We must be virtuous all our lives.

It is understood by Catholics that belief private revelation is not required for the faith,however many saints have spoken about the times of the fulfillment. The world will not end as far as total destruction.We can see that when we recite the Glory be.“World without end,amen”

In St Faustinas diary she states that Jesus said before His final coming all lights will be extinguished in the heavens and a great cross will appear. Perhaps this is the sign spoken of in the bible.

At Akita it is said that Mary told Sister Sasagawa that fire will fall from the sky and wipe out a great part of humanity.

Either way the catechism teaches that the coming of the Kingdom and fulfilment of the promise will not happen by a gradual ascendency but because there will be a final unleashing of evil that will reveal the mystery of iniquity.

Since the ascension we have been in the end times and the times of antichrist.Only in the last century with the advent of the Technology revolution have we sunk so deeply into the abyss of immorality and a life based on seeking just pleasure. Jesus said the end times will be characterized by a GREAT increase in knowledge.Every year we seem to leap forward faster and faster.I cannot image what will be in another 10 years… Who would have thought 20 years ago most people would have access to computers in the hand.

As a former Protestant myself who has an interest in eschatology, I’ll encourage you to let you know that there’s a lot of interesting things to study regarding Catholic eschatology. The Church doesn’t emphasize it much, but it’s certainly there.

Look up the blog called “Unveiling the Apocalypse.” Also check out the book “Awhile Longer” and “Heralds of the Second Coming.” There are some others that I can’t think of off the top of my head right now, but those can get you started.

Pope John Paul II made a statement that said the final confrontation between the Church and the anti-Christ is soon arriving. “Heralds of the Second Coming” gives numerous examples from Popes that suggest our time period is towards the very end. But to contrast, someone in this thread said that Pope Benedict said the end times are not near, which is entirely possible (I’ve never read that though).

The Church doesn’t have any teaching on WHEN Christ will return, and there’s debate about different things. But Fatima, other Marian apparitions, and many Saints have pointed to our time as a special time.

Anyways, I have to get to bed. Perhaps I’ll come back tomorrow and write something better and more clearly!

Who is the author of Awhile Longer?

Greg J. Cring is the author. You can find the book here:
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1463562543

A warning: the book takes for granted the validity of the Medjugorje apparitions, which are VERY controversial.

I can hook you up with two very good sources on this. I have them both and they are great resources for a very small investment. (The images are links)
shop.catholic.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/e/n/end-of-the-world.jpgshop.catholic.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/e/beginning-apologetics-8.jpg

Only God knows. No point in speculating, rather just be prepared then it won’t matter when the end comes.

In a sense we are living in the end times but how long is the end times no one knows as it could be in the next 5 minute or thousands of years from now. it does not pay to worry over it we need to be prepared as we do not know when the end will be. Just think on this what if we did know when the end is? would those who believe just go on doing what they have been doing (sinning) till nearly the end then repent? Does not make much sense to do that but is one way of looking at it. For my money I will rely on trying to do the will of God and not worry about when the end is. When Christ does return all will know whether or not they believe in Christ, and no one will need anyone to tell them that Christ has returned because as I said all will know.

Highly suggest you listen to Tim Staples’s “The Rapture Files.” Tim came from a Pentecostal type background, which was heavily focused on “the rapture.” He spent time in Catholic seminary where he had to unlearn a lot of this stuff. So, if you come from a very “rapture” oriented Protestant background, this might be helpful to you. Either way, it is a very interesting presentation.

youtube.com/watch?v=LgEJS0cf9B4

I don’t know what the Church teaches specifically, but here’s my two cents . . . :twocents:

We don’t know, and nobody should act like they do. We ought to always be ready,
but as I see it, we’re far from it. Personally, I’m waiting for the Temple in Jerusalem
to be rebuilt, that I feel would be a real indicator of the End Days.

There have always been wars, always been earthquakes, disease, etc. The only dif–
ference between long ago and now is that we are today able to make more record of
these things. Our observation of certain occurrences and events has increased, sud-
denly everybody is freaking out saying THE END IS COMING, CAN’T YOU FEEL IT?

Yes, but at the same time, the bible gives us plenty of things to watch out for that will hint at when God is right at the door, so in a way, we can know when the end is near, plus, if you look at ALL these ‘warnings and hints’, it pretty much describes current times…this is pretty obvious too.

I also find it strange nearly ALL other religions seem to think we are in the end times, but the catholic faith is about the only one who thinks it is not.

Has the church even addressed these hints and warnings the bible gives us? I cant see how anyone could see any other time period other than current times when reading thru these…?? They are that obvious IMO.

Holy Mother, The Church teaches us that we should lead our lives in such a way that we are prepared at all times for either death, or the end times. Living otherwise is at the peril of ones soul. Period!

True. He said that we are in the “springtime of Christianity”. This is his opinion and as Catholics we do know Our end will be coming, in all likelihood sooner than the end of time so it’s best that we focus our energy to living a life of holiness, to be always ready to meet The Lord.

At death, we are judged. We know at that time whether we will be in heaven, or hell for all eternity, or temporarily in purgatory (which is a gurantee of heaven after purification). After death of the body, There is no waiting for the soul for the big end of the world event to find out what the conclusion is. The literal end of the world event could be tomorrow or a billion years from now. When THAT day occurs,
[LIST]
*]all the dead (bodies) who have ever lived, rise,
*]souls that are in heaven or hell, are reunited with their resurrected bodies in heaven or hell.
*]souls in purgatory at that time, are then in heaven with their resurrected body, and purgatory ceases to exist.
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.