End times question/ jesus return

what do Catholics believe about the events in the book of revelations and when will they take place? when is jesus respected to return?.

Thanks.

We are not given to know.

It may be tomorrow; it may be a trillion years from now.

ICXC NIKA.

These should help.

[LIST]
*] Without the Rapture, what is Revelation about?
*]Where does “Left Behind” go wrong?
*]The Antichrist
*]Hunting the Whore of Babylon
*]The Whore of Babylon
*]False Profit: Money, Prejudice, and Bad Theology in Tim LaHaye’s Left Behind Series
*]Resurrection of the Body
*]When Is the Second Coming Coming?
*]What Catholics Believe About the Second Coming
*]The Rapture
[/LIST]
Additional study:

[LIST]
*]What Jesus Really Said About The End Of The World

*]Beginning Apologetics 8: What Catholics Believe about the Second Coming, the Rapture, Heaven, Hell, Purgatory, and Indulgences
[/LIST]

The Catholic approach to the Book of Revelation is largely preterist and amillenial. In other words, many of the prophecies of Revelation were meant for the people of John’s day, and have been fulfilled. Moreover, the “thousand years” isn’t seen as pointing to a definite period of time, but speaks to the “age” which Christ inaugurated.

So, as Catholics, we don’t look for a rapture (since that’s an unscriptural teaching that first surfaced in the 19th century A.D.), nor do we try to discern whether the thousand years begins before, during, or after the rapture and/or tribulation.

I’ve heard in countless homilies and in conversations with fellow Catholics that you should worry more about your own death than the end of the world. Think about it: you stand 100% chance of dying some day. What are the odds that the book of Revelation (singular, BTW) will come true in your own lifetime? We should also consider that the book isn’t meant to be taken literally, which I wish somebody had told me when I was a child! lol

Thank you all these should help.

Re: events, The “big ones” that people refer to most, those might happen tomorrow, or a billion years from now. Either way, 200,000+ people die everyday on this planet. For THEM, it is the end of the world. It IS the apocalypse for THEM. Judgement occurs, and It’s either heaven ( probably purgatory first) or hell for all eternity. And nothing in the book of revelation will change that.

We believe what Jesus said:
mk 13:31-37

31"Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away. 32But of that day or hour, no one knows, neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."
Jesus said to his disciples:
“Be watchful! Be alert!
You do not know when the time will come.
It is like a man traveling abroad.
He leaves home and places his servants in charge,
each with his own work,
and orders the gatekeeper to be on the watch.
Watch, therefore;
you do not know when the Lord of the house is coming,
whether in the evening, or at midnight,
or at cockcrow, or in the morning.
May he not come suddenly and find you sleeping.
What I say to you, I say to all: ‘Watch!’”

It just so happens that this was the Gospel for last Sunday, the first Sunday of Advent

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.