End Times Theology?

As a protestant I don’t buy into the whole “Left Behind” doctrine. I know Catholics don’t either. But I have never heard whether there is an official Catholic theology about the end of the world, or the millenium. Or is it left up to the individual?

I think what you are looking for is found in the , paragraphs 673-677Catechism of the Catholic Church.

I think the church is vague on this. Why i don’t know.

Here’s the way my dad put it:

“Say you get run over by a truck. For you, it’s the end of the world.”

Your personal passing may or may not be as glamorous as the bursting apart at the seams of an entire planet at the same time. But what is of infinite and eternal worth is to have your individual soul be in the state of grace when you die, whenever that may be.

~~ the phoenix

“Your personal passing may or may not be as glamorous as the bursting apart at the seams of an entire planet at the same time. But what is of infinite and eternal worth is to have your individual soul be in the state of grace when you die, whenever that may be.”

I agree with that. And I do think Protestants spend too much time on “pin the tail on the anti-christ” stuff. But I also think your eschatology has an effect on your daily life at least to some degree.

I did print off the catachism page and will read it-thanks

On the contrary, the Catholic Church’s theology of the end of time is very well thought out and well established. It’s just that, by and large, Catholics have not concerned themselves with the topic because they have traditionally been encouraged to take the attitude that “Only God knows–when it’s time, it’s time.” That may be true, but that is no defense for Catholics when they get sucked into erroneous theologies like “Left Behind” —not knowing what the Church does teach, they assume that it is accurate and biblical (which it is not). There are some things we CAN know, and the Church does teach them.

When each of us dies, our souls are immediately taken to the presence of God and judged. This is called the Particular Judgment. At this point we begin our eternal destiny. If we are going to hell, our souls go directly there. If we are deemed worthy of heaven, our souls will go directly to heaven, or if we are going to heaven but are in need of purification, we may go to Purgatory first (everyone in Purgatory will eventually go to heaven). Whatever our fate, our souls will stay there until the end of time.

At the Second Coming at the end of time, those Christians still alive will be taken to heaven (what some Protestants think of as of the rapture). Then will occur the General Judgment. At that time the living and the dead will be reunited with their bodies and brought together in God’s presence and judged before all. Those who have already been judged in the Particular Judgment will be brought from wherever their souls were -heaven, hell or Purgatory-- and have their judgment confirmed before all.

After this, time and Purgatory will be no more and all will enter with their souls and bodies into their eternal destiny, either hell or heaven.

Note there is NO provision for a secret rapture where people are “left behind”, and no 1000 year *earthly * reign of Christ,

This is an extremely bare-bones sketch, so if you want to get the details, see the five articles linked below:

rosary-center.org/ll57n1.htm
rosary-center.org/ll57n2.htm
rosary-center.org/ll57n3.htm
rosary-center.org/ll57n4.htm
rosary-center.org/ll49n6.htm

Also, I never tire if recommending this site for more information about the “Left Behind” books and their errors:

carl-olson.com/rapture_articles.html

Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

[quote=Fidelis]On the contrary, the Catholic Church’s theology of the end of time is very well thought out and well established. It’s just that, by and large, Catholics have not concerned themselves with the topic because they have traditionally been encouraged to take the attitude that “Only God knows–when it’s time, it’s time.” That may be true, but that is no defense for Catholics when they get sucked into erroneous theologies like “Left Behind” —not knowing what the Church does teach, they assume that it is accurate and biblical (which it is not). There are some things we CAN know, and the Church does teach them.

When each of us dies, our souls are immediately taken to the presence of God and judged. This is called the Particular Judgment. At this point we begin our eternal destiny. If we are going to hell, our souls go directly there. If we are deemed worthy of heaven, our souls will go directly to heaven, or if we are going to heaven but are in need of purification, we may go to Purgatory first (everyone in Purgatory will eventually go to heaven). Whatever our fate, our souls will stay there until the end of time.

At the Second Coming at the end of time, those Christians still alive will be taken to heaven (what some Protestants think of as of the rapture). Then will occur the General Judgment. At that time the living and the dead will be reunited with their bodies and brought together in God’s presence and judged before all. Those who have already been judged in the Particular Judgment will be brought from wherever their souls were -heaven, hell or Purgatory-- and have their judgment confirmed before all.

After this, time and Purgatory will be no more and all will enter with their souls and bodies into their eternal destiny, either hell or heaven.

Note there is NO provision for a secret rapture where people are “left behind”, and no 1000 year *earthly * reign of Christ,

This is an extremely bare-bones sketch, so if you want to get the details, see the five articles linked below:

rosary-center.org/ll57n1.htm
rosary-center.org/ll57n2.htm
rosary-center.org/ll57n3.htm
rosary-center.org/ll57n4.htm
rosary-center.org/ll49n6.htm

Also, I never tire if recommending this site for more information about the “Left Behind” books and their errors:

carl-olson.com/rapture_articles.html

Hope that helps. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Went to the Rosary Center website. Didn’t know about that one. I enrolled in the Rosary Confraternity. Thank you and God Bless.

**Try the Saints, they hold all the secrets for the end times. **

Sara

[quote=sara888]Try the Saints, they hold all the secrets for the end times.

Sara
[/quote]

Hi Sara,

Interesting statement.
Could you give me one recommendation? A particular saint, or book?

If you are really interested in eschatology you might want to pick up the following book:
ewtn.com/vcatalogue/pages/itemdetail.asp?itemcode=2732&source=searchresult.asp&keyword=Trial&g_than=1&l_than=2000&pgnu=1&category=all&eventcode=

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.