End times will bring greater persecution to Christians, Pope says [CNA]

Vatican City, Nov 28, 2013 / 10:34 am (CNA/EWTN News).- In his daily homily Pope Francis reflected on the end times, saying that faith will be increasingly pushed out of the public square and that persecution of Christians is a “prophecy” of what is to come.

The Pope directed his comments to those gathered in the chapel of the Vatican's Saint Martha guesthouse for his daily Mass on Nov. 28.

Reflecting on the day's reading taken from the Gospel of Luke, in which Jesus speaks of the trials and tribulations that will precede the end times, the pontiff explained that when the Lord refers to this in another passage, “he tells us that it will be a desecration of the temple.”

It will be “a profanation of the faith, of the people,” he continued, and “it will be an abomination, it will be desolation and abomination.”

“What does this mean?” the Pope asked the Mass attendees, responding, “It will be like the triumph of the prince of this world: the defeat of God.”

“It seems at that final moment of calamity, it seems like he will take over this world, he will master of the world,” the pontiff observed, adding that in that time we will become aware this apparent victory over God would be more devastating than a great natural disaster.

These worldly powers which seek to destroy God, noted the Pope, also manifest in the contemporary desire to keep religion as “a private thing,” alluding to the fact that today many religious symbols have become taboo.

“You must obey the orders which come from worldly powers. You can do many things, beautiful things, but not adore God. Worship is prohibited. This is at the center of the end of time.”

Once we “reach the fullness of this pagan attitude,” the Pope continued, “then yes, he will come…’ truly the Son of Man will come in a cloud with great power and glory.’”

Christians who “suffer times of persecution, times of prohibition of worship” because of their beliefs, are a prophecy of what will happen to us all,” he emphasized.

Speaking of the prophet Daniel in the first reading who was thrown into the lion’s den because he refused to denounce his faith, Pope Francis encouraged those in attendance not to be afraid, saying that God “only asks of us faithfulness and patience.”

“Fidelity like Daniel, who was faithful to his God and adored God until the end. And patience, because the hairs of our heads will not fall out. The Lord has promised this.”

Urging those present at the Mass to continue reflecting throughout the week on this “general apostasy” which “is called the prohibition of worship,” the Pope challenged them to ask themselves “Do I worship the Lord?”

“Do I adore Jesus Christ, the Lord? Or, a little half and half, do I in some way play game of the prince of this world?”

“Worship until the end,” the Pope concluded, “with confidence and fidelity: this is the grace we must ask for this week.”

feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/catholicnewsagency/dailynews?d=yIl2AUoC8zA
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/catholicnewsagency/dailynews/~4/LR7rMn-Of5I

Full article…

the end times are near have you heard how the chrsitians in North korea are persacuted they get put in so called "prison camps"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4QwOkCprZ8

This will probably go unnoticed in the secular media since they are blinded by the deceptions of the Evil One, but as a Christian believer, I think this is huge since this is an acknowledgement coming from the Pope that the prophetic signs indicate that we are within range of the End Times.

Perhaps the Pope wasn’t just relating to today’s gospel but also said this in response to the Cathedral attacks in Argentina. “And not a hair of your head shall perish;” just as those who witnessed the miracle at Fatima where the energy used to dry their clothing and the ground had to have been enormous.

Here is where you can write a letter of encouragement to Christians imprisoned for their faith:

prisoneralert.com/

You can “adopt” one or more to pray for and write to.

Prisoner locations listed on the first page of the website include:

China, Eritrea, Iran, Kazakhstan, Nepal, Pakistan, Uzbekistan, and Vietnam.

There’s an online process that helps you compose a letter and translate it into the language of the prisoner.

While not a Catholic website, I think this is worth checking out.

I never thought I’d live to see this, I thought I’d hear the formula “no one knows the hour but the Father, and we should be more concerened with our own end” forever. Fatima hinted at the end times, Akita hinted at the end times, St. Faustina was told that as well. There is an almost universal movement to get rid of religion, a very aggressive and sweeping secularization. What the Bible prophesied about the last generation is a snap-shot of today’s world, to my shame, I must say I’m not a model of what a follower of Christ should be like. Mammon has seduced my heart.

Time to read Lord of the World again. Fits these times perfectly. So does Father Elija. We are rushing down that path, not much time left.

Linus2nd

I feel it, too. But don’t forget and don’t be discouraged. God, the Father, is in control even when things seem the bleakest. Let us pray to stay faithful.

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name.
Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
Pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be world without end. Amen.

At least you are honest about your need for repentance, and that’s the first step. You are not alone. I’m someone who has to go to confession pretty frequently. I just hope that when I die or when Jesus comes to judge the world, whichever comes first, that my family and I had just made a good confession.

Its very intetesting to see him say this. His words are very stark on this topic, but his style of governance as Pope seems to me to be quite the opposite. To me it seems like he governs as if times were very good and easy for the Church, the opposite of what I would expect if this is how he views the end times.

I don’t get it :confused:

Imagine the world as one person who needs evangelizing. Pope Francis is evangelizing the world in the way we should be evangelizing others which is to establish a relationship first and then to teach with patience, love, and by our example.

Seems to me you’re not far from the Kingdom of God. My prayers are with you for encouragement on your journey. God’s peace be with you.

I feel that many people have been so excited, or confused, by many of the Holy Father’s statements, that they do not “hear” the message he has continually spoken of: God’s Mercy!

The Pope is joyfully (which is the only way) trying to pull many more souls toward Christ, in order that they may be saved by the Mercy of God. I find all of this to be very much in-line with the Lord’s words to Saint Faustina, when He told her to prepare the world for His Second Coming. We do not have to listen to those words, they are not binding on us; however, if we assume the Lord did say those things, would He have said them if He was not returning for 1000 or even 100 years (in the last thirteen years we have seen much more attention given to Divine Mercy, with Divine Mercy Sunday instituted by Pope John Paul II–a mere tick of the clock in total Church era time)?

Recall, we are living in the time/age of God’s Mercy, which will be followed by the time/age of God’s justice (which I suspect will be far shorter than the time/age of Mercy).

*[INDENT]*You will prepare the world for My final coming. (Diary 429)

Speak to the world about My mercy … It is a sign for the end times. After it will come the Day of Justice. While there is still time, let them have recourse to the fountain of My mercy. (Diary 848)

Tell souls about this great mercy of Mine, because the awful day, the day of My justice, is near. (Diary 965).

I am prolonging the time of mercy for the sake of sinners. But woe to them if they do not recognize this time of My visitation. (Diary 1160)

Before the Day of Justice, I am sending the Day of Mercy. (Diary 1588)

He who refuses to pass through the door of My mercy must pass through the door of My justice. (Diary 1146).[/INDENT]

Im pretty sure that is common knowledge in the catholic church. the bible speaks quite a bit about how the church will go thru very difficult times in the end times, Many christians will be jailed, tortured and killed for their beliefs in these times. I feel most sorry for those that will give in to this and deny their faith!

We have dealt with the abuse by priests, and I believe there are 2 or 3 other large issues that will come close to closing the church down and many parishes will resort to practicing mass in secret, for fear of arrest or persecution…those will be very bad times, and we are probably pretty close to this coming to fruition…Just look around!

A suggestion:

Setup time (each day if possible) to go to a Catholic Church to pray for all souls within your sphere of life. Pray for the Church. Pray for the world. Pray for souls–and offer sacrifices, even small ones, for the salvation of souls.

Recall, each day, the words of Our Lady of Fatima, when she said: *"…pray much and make sacrifices for sinners, for many souls go to hell because there is no one to make sacrifices for them." *

Remember, even a small sacrifice (say denying yourself that candy you wanted to eat), when offered for souls, is a holy and productive act.

Pray in all you do–on your way to work, when you work around the house, on your way to the store, find ways to offer things up throughout the day for your own soul and for all the souls around you.

Say a rosary for souls. Say a Divine Mercy Chaplet for souls. Say a Hail Mary every hour for souls. It is easy to take a minute out of every hour to say a prayer for souls.

Ask others to do the same–get this prayer chain going across the globe…let us say so many prayers for souls, that the Saints in Heaven rejoice from the din. :slight_smile:

We do not know the time or day, so the Lord’s return might still be fairly far off, yet it is most wise for us to act as if the Lord’s Return is imminent. Pray–pray–pray–and then pray some more. With God, all things are possible…pray the hardest for those who you know need it the most–pray for those fallen away, or for atheists, or for those feeling pained and confused. God can work wonders in their lives, and in our lives as we develop a plan to continually pray.

It is said that if humans do a certain activity for 30 days, it becomes a habit–let us all develop a habit to pray much, much more than we do now.

Send a similar message to those in your life who will pray, and ask them to send it to those who will pray.

Our greatest tool to help save souls, and in the process to help change the world, is prayer!

PRAY! BEG GOD TO BRING HIS MERCY UPON US, UPON ALL WE KNOW, AND UPON THE WORLD! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.