Ending to Lord's Prayer Resembles "Glory Be" Prayer

The ending to the Lord’s Prayer that is often used among Protestant evangelicals has a resemblance to the “Glory Be” prayer used among Catholics.

“For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory forever” resembles…

" Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen."

Why be different? Why be contrarian? Why not be unified?

Well, for one thing, the Lord’s Prayer is addressed to the Father, while the Glory Be praises all three members of the Trinity.

Catholics pray it too, at Mass, all the congregation, shortly after the Lord’s Prayer.

Could that be where the Protestants got it?

The way Catholics pray it is closer to the words Jesus taught. I wonder why the Protestants, who usually keep close to the Bible, tacked that bit on at the end/

It is an ancient doxology, but not part of the Lord’s Prayer proper. That is why the Priest speaks between the Our Father and the doxology during the Mass.

https://www.osv.com/TheChurch/Article/TabId/563/ArtMID/13751/ArticleID/23463/The-Our-Father-and-the-doxology.aspx

“For thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory forever” is a doxology included in some manuscript traditions we’ve received, but not all, and looking at more ancient sources suggest that this was a gloss that became inserted into the text and was probably not part of the original gospel text. It’s also a doxology that was and is used in worship in some liturgies and celebrations. Even at mass after the Our Father and a few words by the priest, the congregation declares this same doxology as “For the kingdom and power and glory are yours, now and forever.”

Yes, because they are both doxologies.

I suppose you haven’t noticed the doxology Catholics use in Mass at the end of the Lord’s Prayer-- it’s the same one Protestants use.

I don’t understand the question.

The Glory Be and the Lord’s Prayer doxologies are two different doxologies.

That’s like asking why the Meal Prayer and the Angelus aren’t the same. They aren’t the same because they are two different prayers.

We say “For thine is the Kingdom…” at the end of the Our Father at every mass. How are we contrarian?

At my former Baptist Church, we started of by singing “Praise God from whom all blessing flow, praise Him all creatures here below, praise Him above ye heavenly hosts. Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen” Then the minister would pray, and we would sing “Glory be to the Father, and to the Son and to the Holy Ghost, as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be. World without end. Amen.” I think it was this way for 80 years, then we hired a new minister who had grown up Catholic and these calls to worship stopped. No explanation. I think he thought they were “Catholic sounding” to him and he didn’t want it.

In my prayer book at the end of the Lord’s prayer it says:
And now if a priest is present one says: For Thine is the glory…
And if no priest is present one says: For the prayers of our Holy Parents Lord Jesus Christ, our God, have mercy on us
So I deduce that “For Thine…” is a blessing actually and that is why a priest is required for it to be said.
But this what it says in a 2014 printed book. In the older books of prayer I had as a child (inherited from my grandparents so…pretty old) the ending of the Lord’s prayer was " For Thine is the glory…"
As far as I know “Glory be to the Father…” is also called the small doxology and it’s not the ending phrase of anything. The small doxology is also said repeatedly before and after many prayers. But it’s a prayer in itself, this is how the prayer books present it. Because it is very short people mistake it as a part of something else.

Contrarianism does happen. Sadly, it sounds like that new Baptist minister made policy on the basis of being contrary to Catholicism.

Before I reverted back to Catholicism, I read a 17th century book from English, non-conformist Puritan Ralph Venning called “The Sinfulness of Sin”. This was my helpful primer on the concept of sin as contrarianism.

Quotes:

• I say, sin being a transgression of God’s law, which was made for man’s good, the sinfulness of sin must needs lie in this, that it is contrary (1) to God, (2) to man. These then are the two heads I shall dwell upon, to declare the malignity and wicked nature of sinful sin.

• Sin is anti-will to God’s will; it sets itself to oppose preaching, prayer, and all the institutions of God.

• What is sin but a departure from God? And what is the doom of sinners but departure from God? Depart from us is the cry of sinners to God. Depart from me will be the cry of God to sinners.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.