Engaged!

Hello Everyone! my boyfriend proposed to me on saturday night!! I’m so excited and its slowly coming to me that im engaged! I havent been happier!! We are planning to get married next fall, and even though its early in the engagment im realizing how much stuff there is to plan out for a wedding!! I do have a question though… do you think a priest would be able to marry me and my fiancee in a church that he’s not a priest at??

God Bless!!:smiley:

Congrats! My fiance and I just got engaged in September, believe me, it’ll go fast! I can’t believe it’s been 2 months already!! We’re getting married next September.

As far as having a different priest, yes, you can do that. We’re having my fiance’s uncle marry us, who is a priest in North Carolina and we’re getting married in Wisconsin. He’s done all the marriages in the family for the siblings and cousins so far. You just need to get it okay’d with your Parish and diocese I think. If it’s between different states the priest will also need to get the okay from the State as well, or some legal document.

well congrats to you aswell! :)… me and my fiancee are hoping to get married next september aswell! and thanks for your advice about priests… yah i think it should be okay, the priest we want to marry us just lives an hour away, so I think it should be okay then!! :slight_smile:
Thank you!!

*CONGRATULATIONS!!! This is so exciting. Tremendously happy for you. :flowers: *

Thank you Whatevergirl :slight_smile: I am VERY excited!!

Congratulations! :extrahappy:

Congratulations!!! September’s a great month for a wedding…DH and I were just married September 25th this year! :smiley: We had a priest who is a close friend marry us and he isn’t the pastor of the church. The first person you should check with is the pastor of the church you want to get married at. If he’s not OK with it, then you won’t be able to, (I doubt there is Canon Law on this, so you’re at the discretion of the priest) but we have a kind of…um…crotchety :o priest as our pastor and he agreed to it. Though, he was difficult to plan things with. You need to be in close communication with both priests, but I honestly would start with the priest at the parish you want to be married at. Just thought of this…I live in a really small town, so it’s easy for me to get a hold of the priest here, you might be able to ask this question of the secretary or something. In our parish, the priest takes EVERY call in relation to receiving the Sacraments.

Congratulations! :slight_smile:
May God’s love and blessing always flourish in your relationship and marriage!
And yours, BrokenFortress and Jea9

Congratulations and best wishes to you and your fiancé!!! Exciting times.

And, yes, you may have a priest from elsewhere officiate - happens all the time!

Oh em gee! How exciting! :yyeess: Congrats!

Start reading some Catholic books on marriage, married life and the inner nature of marriage. Talk to older couples and ask them for advice on starting out.

Congratulations!

Technically-speaking, it is not the priest who enacts the marriage, i.e., “Father Bill, will you marry us next Fall?” Rather, it is the bride and groom themselves who act as ministers before God to receive and confer upon each other the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony. The priest merely acts as a witness to the blessed event.

Regarding preparation, this book is highly recommended for pre-Cana candidates, available at your local bookstore or here on shop.catholic.com:

Good News About Sex And Marriage: Answers To Your Honest Questions About Catholic Teaching

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.