England's failed abortion and sex-ed policies

[FONT=‘Verdana’,Arial,Helvetica] Washington, Jun. 20, 2008 (CWNews.com) - In what is fast becoming known as the “abortion capital of the Europe,” Britain saw the number of abortions performed on girls under 14 rise by 21%, the American Life League (ALL) reports.

The British government is considering legislation to increase the availability of contraceptives and sex education to solve the problem.?Yet ALL leaders see those policies as certain to produce still more abortions.

cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=59228

Something needs to be done about the increasing number of abortions in Britain and I think the first thing we should do is pray.

Prayer is in order.

But I am disturbed that Catholic World News, which is normally a reputable news source, is basing an article (about the UK, no less) on nothing but a statement from the American Life League. Is CWN becoming just another echo chamber?

The central claim of the piece is that contraception and sex education both lead to increased abortion. But the article never tries to prove that claim. It simply asserts it.

This is a worrisome article on more than one level. I pray the abortion rate in the UK declines and I hope Catholic World News tightens up its journalistic standards.

The article is based on statistics released by the UK Department of Health. ALL’s statement is simply commenting on the matter.

That there is a link between contraception and abortion is not well documented in this article, though the link is indeed there. For one thing, some contraceptives are in abortifacient. Then there is the loss of respect for life in general which comes from a contraceptive society. And when contraception fails, the child is looked on as a “mistake”, which can also lead to abortion.

Of course, secular sex education tends not to be abstinence based. So naturally it leads to more immoral sexual activity, which leads to more abortions.

And when contraception fails, the child is looked on as a “mistake”, which can also lead to abortion.

The same sort of argument could be made for periodic abstinence, which is permitted by the Church for married couples wishing for a chaste method of limiting offspring.

Of course, secular sex education tends not to be abstinence based. So naturally it leads to more immoral sexual activity, which leads to more abortions.

That hypothesis has recently been tested in the United States. A few years ago, the Federal Government began to promote “abstinence only” sex education.

The results are in:

WEDNESDAY, Dec. 5 (HealthDay News) – For the first time in 14 years, the number of teenagers having babies in the United States rose last year, according to a new government report released Wednesday.
health.usnews.com/usnews/health/healthday/071205/teen-birth-rates-up-for-first-time-in-14-years-us-reports.htm

Not what we want to hear, but the truth is often not what we want to hear.

Actually, no. Because if a couple is using NFP in accordance with the Church then they are open to life as God should bestow it. Therefore, no child would ever be a “mistake” for them and certainly they would never consider abortion.

That hypothesis has recently been tested in the United States. A few years ago, the Federal Government began to promote “abstinence only” sex education.

The results are in:

WEDNESDAY, Dec. 5 (HealthDay News) – For the first time in 14 years, the number of teenagers having babies in the United States rose last year, according to a new government report released Wednesday.
health.usnews.com/usnews/health/healthday/071205/teen-birth-rates-up-for-first-time-in-14-years-us-reports.htm

Not what we want to hear, but the truth is often not what we want to hear.

I do not see any support whatsoever for your conclusion either in your post or in this article. Completely missing are any of the relevant statistics of where abstinence only education is implemented and how that compares to where it has not been. Further, the article itself does not even mention abstinence education, but suggests a different reason for the increase.

Then there is the over-simplicity of the conclusion, as it fails to take into account other factors such as media influence, poor parenting, and the continued decline of morality in western society.

Ya said it right there.Poor parenting.Our mother explained about sex to us girls so we wouldn’t grow up ignorant about it.
Neither I or my sister have any kids.I don’t even date.Of course at 53 i figure most men want sweet young things, though there are some who don’t.Sure I could do it with any guy young or old who might be interested but I don’t.I don’t really have time for such nonsense anyways. I work two jobs and am the proud mom of 4 sweet kitties,who do sometimes drive me crazyjust like your human kids drive you nuts.
We knew who are dad was,and my parents were married for 27
years.My dad remained a widower till the day he died in 1996.
Sure our parents fought,mainly over momey,but in their own way they loved each other and tried hard to give us kids a decent home life and we knew they were always there to help us.
Many kids don’t have a father in their life,heck,some have no idea who he even is which is very sad. Also,abortion is the lazy person’s out i guess, because they can’t be bothered using protection,or some may have the mindset that if they use birthcontrol(women this is) that it means they are bad girls, cause only bad girls who fool around with men and boys would use birth control and be prepared for sex.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.