English Priest Has Stem Cell Treatment In Iraq

No, this isn’t the beginning of a bad joke-- true story:

Canon Andrew White, a vicar of St. George’s Church in Iraq just had his own Adult Stem Cells implanted to treat his multiple sclerosis in Iraq. See the story at Adult Stem Cells

This is one area where I don’t see how they can at all claim embryonic stem cells are better: immune disorders (like AIDS) and autoimmune disorders (like MS).

There was a report a month or two ago about a guy who was virtually cured of MS by an adult stem cell transplant.
lewiscrusade.blogspot.com/2009/02/httpukreuterscomarticlehealthnewsiduktr.html

They know how to stop MS: they use chemotherapy to kill the immune system. The problem, of course, is that they kill the immune system and basically give the person AIDS.

An adult stem cell transplant can rebuild the immune system. I don’t see how they can say embryonic stem cells are better for this, when embryos don’t have immune systems.

I also read a story about an adult stem cell transplant to a guy who had HIV. They’ve isolated some gene mutation that they think makes people immune to AIDS. So they gave a guy with HIV an injection of adult immune stem cells from a donor who has the “AIDS immunity” gene.

Here’s a link: lewiscrusade.blogspot.com/2009/02/adult-stem-cells-may-cure-aids.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.