English to latin translation

This phrase is on the floor of our church and I would like to know what it means.:confused:

Evangelizare pauperibus misit me

Paupers evangelizantur

He sent me to evangelize the poor.

He is presumably God, it sounds to me like Luke 4,18

The poor are being evangelized. (I am not sure about the correct English translation for the passive - german).

It is, more or less, from Luke 4:18-19: “Spiritus Domini super me; propter quod unxit me evangelizare pauperibus, misit me praedicare captivis remissionem et caecis visum, dimittere confractos in remissione, praedicare annum Domini acceptum.”

Basically, it means “He sent me to preach the gospel to the poor”. It’s not entirely what Jesus said (he said he was anointed to preach the gospel to the poor, and sent to heal the broken-hearted).

Concur with the (Latin to English) translations given above. But either your floor has a typographical error or you made a transcription error:

The second ought to read *Pauper

e

s evangelizantur*

:nerd:
tee

That all makes sense since our parish was started by the
Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate…men who are sent to preach the Gospel to the poor.

oblatesusa.org/default.aspx

Thank you and God Bless,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.