English Translation of Apostolic Constitutions

I am trying to find English versions of Pope Benedict's Apostolic Constitutions for a formation project. On the Vatican's website it only lists the Latin and a web search didn't return anything reliable (literally, not even an accurate name for them!).

Does anyone know of a site where the above is available?

Thanks!

You need to be a bit more specific. Which Apostolic Constitution(s) are you trying to find? What's the topic of the document(s) or the Latin title(s)?

[quote="One_Sparrow, post:1, topic:314823"]
I am trying to find English versions of Pope Benedict's Apostolic Constitutions for a formation project. On the Vatican's website it only lists the Latin and a web search didn't return anything reliable (literally, not even an accurate name for them!).

Thanks!

[/quote]

Look here as see it what you want is available:

gcatholic.com/documents/data/pope-B16-2013.htm

salusanimarum17, I wish I could be more specific. The works I am looking at are found at:

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/apost_constitutions/index_en.htm

As you can see, almost none of the titles are in English so I have no idea what I am looking at. Our group is doing a review of the different things Pope Benedict has done while in office. We went to the Vatican website and pulled up the section which contains various items. The section for exhortations gives you a way to chose the language as do the encyclicals and some of the letters.

We are looking at the items available in English currently but thought it would be nice to see the other works not found easily in English on the Vatican website (which is a lot!). Even a list of just the names if the works are not available would be great.

Vico, Thanks for the link. It has a lot of good items listed but I am unable to tell if they are the pieces I am looking for as I don't know what the original is called in English. Thanks for the help though as I will surely reference the site for future works.

Oh. Well, you won't find translations of any of those in any one place. Almost all of those documents are for the purpose of making a new diocese. The titles are the Latin names of the cities where the new dioceses are formed. For example, the first/oldest document is "Gulbargensis." The first line of the document speaks of the new diocese "Gulbargensis" in India and if you read a little further, you can find that this Latin word is for a city commonly known as Gulbarga (you'll see "Gulbarga" in quotes.) From that, you can do an internet search for "Diocese of Gilbarga" and, in this case, you will find a short wikipedia artile:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholic_Diocese_of_Gulbarga

Chances are the document you're looking for hasn't been translated into English. You could either find someone who can read Latin, or attempt to copy and paste into Google translate.

[quote="One_Sparrow, post:4, topic:314823"]
salusanimarum17, I wish I could be more specific. The works I am looking at are found at:

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/apost_constitutions/index_en.htm

As you can see, almost none of the titles are in English so I have no idea what I am looking at. Our group is doing a review of the different things Pope Benedict has done while in office. We went to the Vatican website and pulled up the section which contains various items. The section for exhortations gives you a way to chose the language as do the encyclicals and some of the letters.

We are looking at the items available in English currently but thought it would be nice to see the other works not found easily in English on the Vatican website (which is a lot!). Even a list of just the names if the works are not available would be great.

Vico, Thanks for the link. It has a lot of good items listed but I am unable to tell if they are the pieces I am looking for as I don't know what the original is called in English. Thanks for the help though as I will surely reference the site for future works.

[/quote]

All of the important documents, ones of interest to the larger Church, have been translated into English. The others of local or other documents not of any consequence to people outside a specific area or realm.

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:6, topic:314823"]
Chances are the document you're looking for hasn't been translated into English. You could either find someone who can read Latin, or attempt to copy and paste into Google translate.

[/quote]

Interestingly enough one of Pope John XXIII's Apostolic Constitutions, Veterum Sapietia, which called for the restoration and reinvigoration of Latin, was only translated into English and Spanish. One wonders, therefore, how someone who was versed in some other language was supposed to have known about the Church's intention to preserve documents, liturgy, music, etc. in its official language.

Thanks for the explanation, makes sense as to why I couldn't find them in English.

You have been so helpful.

[quote="One_Sparrow, post:1, topic:314823"]

Thanks!

[/quote]

Try here.

papalencyclicals.net/Ben16/index.htm

Thanks thistle - this is a great reference site. I especially like the section on the councils. I will definitely be bookmarking it :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.