Enriching my Spirituality

Hello,
I am in the process of setting up my schedule of spiritual practices. Here it is:
[LIST]
*]Daily Recitation of Lauds and Vespers (only parts of the oofice wherein I have resources)
*]Daily Chanting of Salve Regina Nightly
*]Practice of Lectio Divina every Sunday
*]Recitation of the Holy Rosary every Saturday
*]Recitation of the 24 Glory Be
*]Recitation of the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy and Saint Michael every Sunday
*]Chanting of the Te Deum every Sunday
[/LIST]
If you have any suggestion on improving it please reply.
I am currently having a problem now with the schedule. I have to revise it to make in in accord with my studies. School will be starting next week. Please help me revise it and equalize decrease and increase. I really need it. Please help. Thanks and God Bless.

You might be interested in this article:

The Seven Daily Habits of Holy Apostolic People

I’m trying to take these on, in addition to the Divine Mercy Chaplet daily, and eventually want to slowly start doing the Divine Office.

With the Angelus, though, I felt I should try to do it three times daily (6:00 am, noon, 6:00 pm), since that seems to be more traditional.

A great article! Thanks for the link. I’m going to use it with our RCIA candidates.

Have quiet time for listening to God.

I admire what you are uo to. You’ve given me a bit of inspireation to get abck on a track similar to that:blush:

How about some daily mass and Eucharistic Adoration?

no problem with any or all of these devotions. my suggestion is, based on advice of classical Christian spiritual direction, is that if these are things you are not already doing regularly, choose only one to begin with, to do, or to add to your daily prayer now, or perhaps one in the morning and one in the evening. Do this rather than making too ambitious and demanding a schedule. the reason is if you find yourself unable to stick to this, you will be tempted to give yourself an excuse to give up that daily prayer time all together. Multiplicity of devotions for their own sake adds little or nothing to the quality of your prayer. Concentrate instead on praying in whatever one of these ways you choose faithfully, for a shorter period of time to begin with, but be faithful, do it daily, at the same time, and make that time a priority over all else. Obviously you will not neglect Sunday Mass and the sacraments, which are a given.

I endorse the advice given on the link above, and would recommend slowly adding one of these at a time, until you are able to carry out all of them faithfully, before worrying about new devotions. If you only have time for one, or on a real busy day when there is only time for one, the daily examen IMO should never be skipped, and should be the first thing you add.

Need encouragement: feeling I've done all the 'right' things and getting nowhere

Really great article, thanks for posting the link.

If I may be so bold, I would like to suggest a very basic, but traditional program of prayer and ministry that is consistent with Christian mysticism.

1. The Liturgy of the Hours (Lauds and Vespers)

2. Mass during the week

3. Spiritual reading (10 min) to begin

4. Daily Rosary

5. Silence (walk you dog, but don’t take the dog)

6. Join a ministry

That is the basic of Christian life. It covers the essentials: liturgy, silent prayer, Marian devotion, contemplation and charity.

Try it, you’ll like it.

Fraternally,

JR :slight_smile:

I would like to add that the purpose of a fruitful prayer life is not to say as many different prayers as you possibly can during the day, but to establish a relationship with God. Even if you did only one or two of these things but did them very well then you can have a fruitful prayer life. Prayer is ot about saying things to God but communicating with God…which means spending time listening.

That is the essence of contemplative prayer that you’re describing.

The reason I outlined that simple schedule is because I thought the OP was looking for a “rule of prayer” or a horarium of prayer. What I posted is the typical horarium that most contemplative secular religious communities follow. If it is followed carefully, it eventually leads to contemplative prayer.

However, even in contemplative prayer of silence, it is essential to pray with the Church and to pray the prayer of the Church. This is how men and women thought the ages became great saints. They began with the Church’s prayer life.

Fraternally,

Can you clarify what you mean with #5? What are you to do during this silence?

Thanks for the outline.

I’d be happy to do so. Our holy father Francis always began with very simple words from scripture: “Speak Lord for your servant is listening.” He would say no more. He would just walk. Sometimes weeks would pass and there would be nothing but silence. At other times, he hear the voice of the Lord in his heart.

In either case, the great mystics have taught us that God speaks to us during the silence. Sometimes we do not hear what he says, but the soul does. It can be days or even weeks later when we come upon a situation and we realize that we have heard this before.

In essence, say and do nothing. Let the Lord guide.

St. Bruno, the founder of the Carthusians called this “useless time”. He said that to look for silence was a call itself. Christ invites us to silence. When we have found silence, he invites us to more silence. And when we have found that Christ again invites us to deeper silence, to do nothing. In St. Bruno’s words, this is Heaven. The silence is a foretaste of Heaven, to spend time being useless he said, just being in the presence of God.

Fraternally,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.