Entering the religious life but not toooooo sure

I know I’ve mentioned this before but I still don’t know what to do. I feel a HUGE desire to TRY this way of life yet I’m not too sure if I want to make that step forward because what if I’m not called?

See, when I first started pursuing Catholicism, I saw nuns and all that on TV and thought, “ha, so what? They just pray and do that. No big deal to me” and continued to think what my career job would be and who I would marry. I had NO desire to try that way of life thank you very much. But then later, you know, I had this desire and ever since then, I’ve been WANTING to try this way of life! I’ve been even praying about it and I have such a HUGE DESIRE for it that I’ll be extremely disappointed if I find out I’m not called!

But then, I realize that I’ve not been confirmed with the Eucharist and all that and have heard that only the Eucharist is what people get that “call” to live the religious way…if that’s the case,*** why on earth do I feel drawn toward this way of life?*** There’s no spiritual director at the parish I attend (I don’t think but could double check on that) and DO NOT dare to even tell the RCIA people about it! How on earth can this be and I know that EVERYTHING is possible with God but what now?

[quote=Paris Blues][font=Comic Sans MS]I have such a HUGE DESIRE for it that I’ll be extremely disappointed if I find out I’m not called!
[/quote]

[/font]

Nah, you won’t be disappointed because if you’re not called, you won’t desire it anymore :smiley: .

[font=Comic Sans MS]How on earth can this be and I know that EVERYTHING is possible with God but what now?[/font]

Hmm, well, you were called to become Catholic, so that tells me a calling can happen whenever. Get yourself through RCIA first and then see if you can talk to some nuns, maybe go on some retreats, read about the different orders, you know, see if it’s still something you really want to do. I think it’s awesome you are even considering a vocation. :blessyou:

Nicole,

Call up your chancery: the diocese where you live will probably have a vocations director. You can set up an appointment to talk with him, and can recieve more information.

Also, most of the dioceses will have a vocations dinner or a talk or some such event where you can go, with other interested people, to learn more about vocations.

Also, do you have a good, solid, orthodox priest? If so, he can give you some direction. If not, find one (people here can probably recommend one to you if they know where you live) and that will be another source of information for orthodox religious orders (such as the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist). Some religious orders are whacked-out and heterodox, and are not thriving.

Another member of the forum, JCPhoenix, is also considering religious life. Maybe you could PM her and compare notes!

God bless.

There’s also a very, very long time between first vows and final vows, so if you don’t have a calling, you’ll realize it before you can’t get out of it.

There’s also lots of retreats and lots of orders have websites. And you can also just contact some nuns you’re interested in and see if they’ll let you come stay for a short time. Many orders are very welcoming to volunteers! :thumbsup:

So, take a breath. And, as always, :gopray2:

I believe you need much contemplation, much prayer, and much more time. Based on your other post you are not even sure yet you want to fully enter the Catholic Church. Yes you are in RCIA, but you are not enjoying going to mass - it feels obligatory and burdensome. You say you are going “down” spiritually. It should feel like a joyful privelige to attend mass and witness the Eucharist even if you cannot take part. For a religious life you need to be on fire and feel passion for your faith. Not drudgery. It would seem like you need to fully decide where your religious home will be before finding your religious vocation.

If you do complete your journey to the Catholic Church and then pursue a vocation - good job, good luck, and God Bless. But until then . . . keep praying and keep going to mass!!!

Paris,

Genesis 315 is absolutely right on all counts.

• Liberian

Paris,

God bless you as you continue the process of conversion. It’s my understanding that most orders would prefer that you complete your conversion and then wait for a couple of years before you move into serious exploration regarding a vocation. A vocation is a serious matter, as is conversion to Catholicism. I recommend you put as much energy as possible into coming to better understand your place in the world as a Catholic.

If you are having difficulty going to Mass, don’t let that overly disturb you. Just keep going. There have been Saints who have gone through a darkness when they have difficulty feeling connected to God and their prayer life. Persistance helps.

CARose

[quote=Paris Blues]I know I’ve mentioned this before but I still don’t know what to do. I feel a HUGE desire to TRY this way of life yet I’m not too sure if I want to make that step forward because what if I’m not called?

See, when I first started pursuing Catholicism, I saw nuns and all that on TV and thought, “ha, so what? They just pray and do that. No big deal to me” and continued to think what my career job would be and who I would marry. I had NO desire to try that way of life thank you very much. But then later, you know, I had this desire and ever since then, I’ve been WANTING to try this way of life! I’ve been even praying about it and I have such a HUGE DESIRE for it that I’ll be extremely disappointed if I find out I’m not called!

But then, I realize that I’ve not been confirmed with the Eucharist and all that and have heard that only the Eucharist is what people get that “call” to live the religious way…if that’s the case,*** why on earth do I feel drawn toward this way of life?*** There’s no spiritual director at the parish I attend (I don’t think but could double check on that) and DO NOT dare to even tell the RCIA people about it! How on earth can this be and I know that EVERYTHING is possible with God but what now?
[/quote]

I’ve seen people talk about religion in terms of falling in love. That’s what you’re doing now. But be careful that you aren’t just having this desire now that you’re feeling super Catholic. There will always be hard times in your life and in your faith, and you may not feel as good at those times. Will you still want to persevere then? Do you just have these feelings because you’re feeling pure as you’re coming into the faith?

It’ll take time. Discern it. I don’t want to chase you away, but I want you to think hard. I’m going to be choosing college, and I’m trying to discern my path! Recently, as I’ve been getting a better foundation in my faith, I’ve had to ask myself, do I want to go into the religious life? Would I consider the priesthood? The answer is, I don’t know at all!

Good luck, God bless,
-Rob

With the Grace of Christ,going to Mass is a little easier and I’ve started to enjoy it more but that’s because it’s due to me praying!

Now, I have two more semesters to get through before I graduate. Sure, I can get a career in my field for a few years than pursue the religious life IF our Lord is calling me, OR I could simply continue with my career for the rest of my life. It’s really NOT up to me which path I take; I’d rather have our Lord tell me which direction I should go, really.

I’m TRULY opened but I still need to know more about the Catholic faith and all that before I can decide for real. But until then, I’ll just take the path to finishing college and finding a job.

But like I said, I’m opened.

[quote=Paris Blues]I know I’ve mentioned this before but I still don’t know what to do. I feel a HUGE desire to TRY this way of life yet I’m not too sure if I want to make that step forward because what if I’m not called?

[/quote]

I’ll pray for you, its such a beautiful calling to become the spiritual bride of Christ, we men aren’t able to :frowning: We must be content with being his unworthy Priests, while you can savour the mystic and spiritual marriage between your soul and his Sacred Heart.

[/quote]

Hi, kiddo.

If instead of a religious life you choose marriage, you will discover that the attitude you must have toward life as a married person is exactly, precisely identical to the attitude you must have toward religious life!

And, if you are a good person, you will have developed a fully mature friendship with God, willy-nilly, and you’ll think, “Darn! Why didn’t I work for my Friend and Master, God???!!!”

One of our priests at our parish said pretty much the same thing when he was in the same position. He had not yet been received into the Church but felt called to the priesthood. He talked to the bishop who told him to wait to explore his vocation until after he’d been a practicing Catholic for at least a year. That is because one should be firmly grounded in the faith and comfortable with living the Catholic life before pursuing any vocation be it the religious life, marriage or life long celibacy as a single person.

So, don’t worry about your current situation. Go through RCIA, be received and live as a Catholic for at least a year, and then contact your archdiocese or head of the religious order you are drawn to. There is no hurry. In God’s good time he will let you know what he wants you to be and do with your life in service to him. I will say a prayer for you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.