Entering the seminary

I am going to be graduating high school this year, and I am considering the preisthood. Is any college degree required before entering the seminary? What schooling is required to become a priest, and how long does it take?

You must complete high school before they will consider you for seminary. Seminary IS college, along with other training/education. Depending on the diocese, figure about six years to become a priest.

[quote="Scoobyshme, post:2, topic:321205"]
You must complete high school before they will consider you for seminary. Seminary IS college, along with other training/education. Depending on the diocese, figure about six years to become a priest.

[/quote]

So no prior college is necessary? As for high school, I will be graduating this spring, so I'm looking into seminaries for this fall semester or next spring semester.

Also, are there any age requirments? I'm hoping to get ahead as soon as I graduate, but I'm not 18 yet, and won't be for some time.

[quote="Scoobyshme, post:2, topic:321205"]

[/quote]

This is not true. This is the case for MAJOR Seminary, however there is a growing trend in College Seminary Sponsorships, or Major and Minor Seminaries combined.

Usually after one applies to Major Seminary the length is six years (two Philosophy, four Theology) or four years (four theology) if you have attended a College affiliated with the Seminary and achieved your bachelors degree in Philosophy. The Latter is the plan I have arranged with my archdiocese, thanks be to God.

[quote="Paragon468, post:3, topic:321205"]
So no prior college is necessary? As for high school, I will be graduating this spring, so I'm looking into seminaries for this fall semester or next spring semester.

[/quote]

See my answer above about college.

Unfortunately, it is very late for you to be just now starting to "look" for Seminaries. And usually they ask you to apply after several months of interviewing and discernment. They have to make sure the candidate in question understands what he is getting himself in to.

[quote="Paragon468, post:3, topic:321205"]
Also, are there any age requirments? I'm hoping to get ahead as soon as I graduate, but I'm not 18 yet, and won't be for some time.

[/quote]

I am seventeen and have already been accepted to Seminary. Age, however, is usually a minor factor. I am currently the youngest of the men accepted, but only by a few months. I will be eighteen by the time I enter the Seminary.

[quote="Paragon468, post:1, topic:321205"]
I am going to be graduating high school this year, and I am considering the preisthood. Is any college degree required before entering the seminary? What schooling is required to become a priest, and how long does it take?

[/quote]

Talk to your diocesan vocation director ASAP.

And good luck - post something about this in the prayer sub-forum and you'll get a ton of CAFters praying for you too!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Philosopy major probably

At my College Seminary where I’ll be attending this Fall, philosophy is mandatory. Though another fellow is double majoring in Political Science I think.

[quote="Bl_Pope_Pius_IX, post:7, topic:321205"]
At my College Seminary where I'll be attending this Fall, philosophy is mandatory. Though another fellow is double majoring in Political Science I think.

[/quote]

I was accepted with a Law Degree (but that was another life).

[quote="triumphguy, post:8, topic:321205"]
I was accepted with a Law Degree (but that was another life).

[/quote]

Accepted to Major Seminary?

This is perfectly normal. But what comes after is an added two years of preparation and education in philosophy. Regardless of the major be it law, or mechanics which is what the VD for Boston has. The Seminarian must have a degree, but in College Seminary the man studies philosophy as a major.

Here is a link to the Program of Priestly Formation developed by the USCCB.

A good read for anyone who is interested in a priestly vocation, IMHO.

I only had to take 2 philosophy courses at summer school while I took Theology.

Thanks for the information. I'm still not 100% certain I want to go into the priesthood, but I definitely want to go into the seminary for at least a year or two to see if it's for me. At the moment I'm only 16, and I'll be 17 by the earliest time I'd be able to enter.

Talk to your vocation director!:thumbsup:

[quote="Paragon468, post:12, topic:321205"]
Thanks for the information. I'm still not 100% certain I want to go into the priesthood, but I definitely want to go into the seminary for at least a year or two to see if it's for me. At the moment I'm only 16, and I'll be 17 by the earliest time I'd be able to enter.

[/quote]

I'm sorry to be the one to say this, but it doesn't work this way. :(

You really need to take the advice of contacting the Vocation's director for your diocese, and soon, if you want this ball to be rolling when you graduate from high school.

Here is a link to all of the dioceses in Ohio, find yours and go to the Vocation's page.

What exactly do you mean? I was actually advised to do this by a vocations director in a nearby diocese :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote="Paragon468, post:15, topic:321205"]
What exactly do you mean? I was actually advised to do this by a vocations director in a nearby diocese :P

[/quote]

I think there may be some confusion in the word "seminary". There are 2 types- Minor and Major.

This is the way it was explained to me -
Minor seminary is like a 4-year college. Your 'majors' would be theology & philosophy as well as all the general education requirements needed to obtain a Bachelor's degree or it's equivalent. Young men who are discerning may or may not choose this type of setting for their under-grad work.

Major Seminary is where the actual "formation" in the priesthood takes place. Men are required to study, usually for their Masters in Divinity. Here is a link to the Theological College at Catholic University. It can give you some more information about actual seminary life, and the requirements for their program. Most in the US are similar because of the "Program of Priestly Formation" which I linked to above. I strongly reccommend that you read it, especially the Introduction.

Please understand I am not trying to discourage you. I do some volunteer work for our vocation's director, working with young men who are discerning, so I do have a little more knowledge than the "average bear". ;) If you are serious, you really need to get your diocese involved, and accept any and all advice/help they give you.

Peace be with you on your journey, and I will pray for you! :)

[quote="Oneofthewomen, post:16, topic:321205"]
I think there may be some confusion in the word "seminary". There are 2 types- Minor and Major.

Minor seminary is like a 4-year college. Your 'majors' would be theology & philosophy as well as all the general educatoin requirements needed to obtain a Bachelor's degree or it's equivalent. Young men who are discerning may or may not choose this type of setting for their under-grad work.

Major Seminary is where the actual "formation" in the priesthood takes place. Men are required to study, usually for their Masters in Divinity. Here is a link to the Theological College at Catholic University. It can give you some more information about actual seminary life, and the requirements for their program. Most in the US are similar because of the "Program of Priestly Formation" which I linked to above. I strongly reccommend that you read it, especially the Introduction.

Please understand I am not trying to discourage you. I do some volunteer work for our vocation's director, working with young men who are discerning, so I do have a little more knowledge than the "average bear". ;) If you are serious, you really need to get your diocese involved, and accept any and all advice/help they give you.

[/quote]

Thanks for the information, it helps quite a bit. I'll definitely get into contact with the vocations director in my diocese and speak with him about it.

[quote="Paragon468, post:17, topic:321205"]
Thanks for the information, it helps quite a bit. I'll definitely get into contact with the vocations director in my diocese and speak with him about it.

[/quote]

You are very welcome. Thank you for listening to that voice that is calling you!

You will be in my prayers! :D

May God bless you!
If you are called you are lucky man - believe me :)!

[quote="Oneofthewomen, post:16, topic:321205"]

Minor seminary is like a 4-year college. Your 'majors' would be theology & philosophy as well as all the general education requirements needed to obtain a Bachelor's degree or it's equivalent. Young men who are discerning may or may not choose this type of setting for their under-grad work.

[/quote]

Are you saying College Seminary isn't actual formation?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.