Envy?

I struggle a lot with envy, it seems I’m always confessing this sin and I want to be better about it. Whenever these thoughts come my way I try to push them away but I’m not always successful. Are there prayers that would help with this? How about a particular saint that could help me overcome this problem? I don’t like being envious of other people and I don’t like the feeling it causes. Any suggestions are appreciated.

It’s certinally something a lot of people struggle with. It’s good to see you trying to stop it.

Here’s a short section on envy from the Canterbury Tales, go down to the number (page) 485 the bit on envy and the remedy is only a few paragraphs. This version is in modern English.

ronaldecker.com/parson.htm

Often envy can come from a rose tinted view of the other persons life. I know some people are jealous of certian things in my life and I always say to them, there are some good points but they also have their challanges and difficulties too.

Sometimes it comes from a failure to value our own gifts and blessings that God has given us.

It’s not talked about much today so thank you for bringing it up.

Praise God that you have checked your heart and recognize this deadly sin. I have read that the greatest weapon against envy is the gift of wisdom. Pray to the Holy Spirit for wisdom. Wisdom is seeing things with God’s heart and mind, not ours. And beg for the virtues of Love, Humility and Obedience. Allow the Spirit to empty you of envy and fill you with love and peace and poverty of spirit (knowing that everything comes from God)

God Bless!:thumbsup:

I think this video is helpful:

goblr.com/watch/344512/envy_a_joyless_vice

Thank you all for your suggestions , I will try them out and I’m glad I’m not the only one that struggles with this

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.