Envy

I know this isn’t the forum for prayers, but I am going to ask here regardless – because I’m stubborn like that! :rolleyes:

I could use your prayers. I’m suffering horribly from the sin of jealousy and envy. And greed – emotional greed…spiritual pride.

Sometimes I can be overbearing…sometimes I can be arrogant…sometimes I want what I can’t have…

I have so much misdirected love…so many misguided ideals…and have I mentioned my arrogance?

Yes, all of this is related to the sin I need prayers for. A simple Hail Mary would be enough.

Thank you –

Pride is my most serious sin too. I hate how I love to talk about myself and glorify myself and reread and reread compliments people post or speak about myself. It’s ludicrous to be a buffoon! Especially when one has nothing to be a buffoon about, for all that one has comes from God ;).

I’ll pray for us both about this. And about the envy.

Thanks.

It’s just making me sad. Not like despairing or anything, but just sad because being envious makes me feel so incredibly incomplete and inadequate…not to mention how uncharitable it makes me.

Just another cross.

My dear friend

I’ll remember you in my holy communions.

God bless you:thumbsup::slight_smile:
John

can I join the club :frowning:

pride is a big one for me too.

Perhaps this will help.

Last night on Sunday Night Live on EWTN, Fr. Andrew Apostoli was the guest host. He spoke of Knowledge as one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. In so speaking he mentioned that St. Augustine said that as one grows in faith one aquires knowledge of their sins to a painful fault. Yet this knowledge inturn helps one move away from these sins over time (paraphrased).

Think of the fact that you know are conscious of your faults to a point were it pains you. Now think of times in your past when you didn’t care at all. This knowledge while a cross of a sorts is also allowing you to suffer with Jesus on the Cross.

I too suffer in this way. But I will say that I never wish I “took the blue pill”. :wink:

For you:
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing frighten you.
All things pass.
God does not change.
Patience achieves everything.
Whoever has God lacks nothing.
God alone suffices.
– St. Teresa of Avila

–Cadian :knight1:

A prayer for you tonight.

Epistemes, you sound like a young Jesuit seminarian. They are known for their intelligence but also their arrogance. I had Jesuits as college teachers and I remember them telling us that before they could become ordained Jesuits they had to spend a certain number of years teaching boys in the boys high schools. That’s all it took to teach the arogant seminarians true humility.

As far as envy goes, I think if we are honest we are all a bit envious of others. I have even gone so far as to be envious of those with the most disabilities because all those disabilities will be shining beauty marks in heaven. If I were on my deathbed I would not want to be the most beautiful, successful, rich, popular, person on earth. I would rather be the poor blind stinky homeless man that everyone hated.

Yeah, in Heaven ;). It might get a bit tiresome on Earth after a while, though ;).

But I’m just babbling that to be a smart-***. I know what you mean, and I agree and feel the same. I desire to suffer for God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.