Ephesians 6:1-2

In The Letter to the Ephesians, Chapter 6 Verses 1-2 state:
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.
“Honor your father and mother.”

Do you think it is fair when a child tells an aunt or uncle or a grandparent, “I don’t have to obey you. You are not my parents.”?

Who does Jesus say our father and mother are? Just food for thought.

I think it’s disrespectful for a child to speak that way to a responsible aunt, uncle or grandparent. It’s wrong, unless there is some overriding circumstance like the adult in question is untrustworthy.

Hi!
…this is a broking-down of the family unit–and society in general.

While Scriptures do speak of honoring/respect father and mother, it stands to reason that that would apply to an elder (including an older sibling).

The problem is that we have become permissive and egocentric: ‘I am the rule;’ ‘he’s just being a boy…’

It is natural for a child to seek his/her independence (we see that even from the very moments of mobility–an infant rolls/rocks towards what he/she wants regardless of what the adults may try to communicate)… so when the culture promotes egocentrism and permissiveness… what’s the child to do but to get a swollen head?

…then there are the “not my child” parents… instead of teaching respect for the elders they teach “self” authority and disrespect (a matter that quickly transfers to the child’s external experiences: school, parish, stores, streets…); people reject the wisdom of “it takes a village to raise a child…” and subscribe to “let him/her be; he’ll/she’ll grow out of if.”

That reasoning has transferred to our public schools, colleges, and to the business world.

…the seeds of failure/discontent are sown early in our childhood.

Maran atha!

Angel

Do not rebuke an older man but exhort him as you would a father; treat younger men like brothers, older women like mothers, younger women like sisters, in all purity. (1 Timothy 5:1-2)

It depends. If the child’s parents have given the aunt/uncle/grandparent authority to tell the child something, then the child should listen. But if the aunt/uncle/grandparent are stepping over their boundaries and acting as “parent” when they should not be, that’s a different story.

Ditto. But if I am watching my nieces and nephews, they are going to listen to me. Same with my little sisters. (My sisters will even say “your name my parent”, and I then point out that may be true…but I am still in charge). I don’t think you should make unreasonable requests to children under your care though.

My thought is that it is not ok under most conditions to talk to anyone like that.

Even if it is factual it is not respectful and Jesus said to love each other as we love ourself.

Having said that I would point out that properly showing respect is a learned skill so this may be a good situation for a well learned life lesson.

God bless you

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.