Episcopal Clown Eucharist

Maybe you’ve all seen this, but I didn’t see the post, so here goes:
expagan.info/blog/?p=123

Oh wow…that was painful. The media player video is of the entire service, so it’s long. But if you want to just see the worst part - the preparation of the pita, advance the video to the 44 minute mark and watch for ten minutes. Just awful. There’s this person who resembles Meat Loaf in a red clown nose, comes up and does the prayer in sign language. People are blowing kazoos, and when they hold up the pita, there is this clown in horns banging cymbals.

Lord deliver us from the clown mass…http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/happy/klclown.gif

By the way, the cymbal clanger literally looks like this:

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/happy/viking.gif

I mean literally - he’s wearing a horn headress!

Wow,
people posted a few comments on this web-page. they said watching this made them feel dirty. also that they could think of only one word to describe it -demonic. That is exactly what came to mind for me.
That was disturbing. Worse than a horror movie, because you know they aren’t real.

I’m at a loss for words. What were they trying to accomplish by doing this? I mean, what was the point? Sure, it’s a fine idea to have a carnival or something to raise some money for your church (we have a kids’ carnival at the fall festival at our church every year) but IN the church and during the service??? And the consecration no less. I truly cannot comprehend what was going through their minds when they did this. “Hey, I’ve got an idea…”

I can only guess that someone said “I know why no one comes to church anymore, it has low entertainment value.”

And the Lord was exceedingly angry, and there was a loud thunderous sound from heaven and a lightening bolt came from heaven and those who mocked his sacred sacrifice were no more. Ooops I am dreaming of course but sometimes you have to wonder. God either has a terrific sense of humor or is exceedingly merciful. I wonder what the people in the old testament would say that incured God’s wrath,you gotta wonder.
Hope the Catholic Church never get’s that bad, but you never know.

Fogny

The Lord is slow to anger, and quick to forgive, but you can only go so far…

[quote=Fogny]And the Lord was exceedingly angry, and there was a loud thunderous sound from heaven and a lightening bolt came from heaven and those who mocked his sacred sacrifice were no more. Ooops I am dreaming of course but sometimes you have to wonder. God either has a terrific sense of humor or is exceedingly merciful. I wonder what the people in the old testament would say that incured God’s wrath,you gotta wonder.
Hope the Catholic Church never get’s that bad, but you never know.

Fogny
[/quote]

Fogny,

Regret to report …

stjosephsmen.com/letters/clownmass.htm

traditio.com/nos.htm

A third page notes that the Clown Mass was common at that church in Oakland until the present bishop arrived.

tboyle.net/University/H_T_Conflict.html

I don’t know if the Catholic ones matched the Episcopal one but I have no desire to be in this sort of a competition.

• Liberian

who attends a Novus Ordo parish
but who has a place in his heart for the Tridentine Mass

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.