Episcopalians and God

Wow.

[quote=Ahimsa]Wow.
[/quote]

Well, you don’t see that everyday.

[quote=mikew262]Well, you don’t see that everyday.
[/quote]

Another example of why people are leaving the Epicsopal Church in droves. They have lost 40% of their membership in the last 30 years

It does not look real though, theololgy aside.

This is pure pandering to one ethnic group within the Episcopal church. In our area there are Episcopal mission churches that serve Native Americans. In order to make them feel comfortable as Christians, it seems the ECUSA (or some part of it) has let them keep some of their native beliefs–just so long as they still call themselves Episcopalians. How broad-minded of them! :rolleyes:

[quote=Fredricks]It does not look real though, theololgy aside.
[/quote]

Oh, it’s real…check the website, edomi.org

[quote=Della]This is pure pandering to one ethnic group within the Episcopal church. In our area there are Episcopal mission churches that serve Native Americans. In order to make them feel comfortable as Christians, it seems the ECUSA (or some part of it) has let them keep some of their native beliefs–just so long as they still call themselves Episcopalians. How broad-minded of them! :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Native Americans wouldn’t be the only ones attracted to “God as Mother”.:slight_smile:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. Actually, I think its pretty cool. God is our Father and Mother.

[quote=Gnosis]I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. Actually, I think its pretty cool. God is our Father and Mother.
[/quote]

Then I wonder what God meant when he told us to pray…

“Our Father, who art in Heaven…”

you guys know the rest.

[quote=Gnosis]I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. Actually, I think its pretty cool. God is our Father and Mother.
[/quote]

Based on what

[/quote]

“Cool” perhaps, but completely at odds with Divine revelation. Such a “God” is one of man’s devising, not the One who revealed Himself.

Blessings,

Gerry

[quote=Ahimsa]Native Americans wouldn’t be the only ones attracted to “God as Mother”.:slight_smile:
[/quote]

No, indeed, nor were they in the past. When God revealed Himself to Abraham and his descendents, they became unique among the peoples in their part of the world, in that they had one masuline God, no goddesses, and no priestesses.

Blessings,

Gerry

[quote=Ahimsa]Native Americans wouldn’t be the only ones attracted to “God as Mother”.:slight_smile:
[/quote]

True, but if you look at the picture carefully, you’ll see a Native American design on the bookmark and the young woman (although hidden by the light pole) is plainly Native American. So, it is advertising the Episcopal church to Native Americans and pandering to their paganism instead of drawing them to orthodox Christianity.

God is both male and female. He is not one gender or another. And, in some instances, the Bible does refer to him in the feminine.

Secondly, if you actually hold that God is both male and female, then how can it be theologically incorrect to refer to her as Mother? The Bible does not say “only refer to God as father”. Throughout the entire Bible God is refered to as many different things. He brought us forth, created us in his image. Surely, for member of a Church who stress the weight of natural law so adamantly, you would agree that creation is something that involves both feminine and masculine elements?

Well, speaking as an Anglican, I have heard many a weirdity :ehh: come out of the church, but that isn’t one of them…

[quote=JoyfulOne]Well, speaking as an Anglican, I have heard many a weirdity :ehh: come out of the church, but that isn’t one of them…
[/quote]

You mean (1) “God is Mother” isn’t as weird as other things Anglicans have said, or (2) you’ve never heard Anglicans say “God is Mother”?

[quote=Ahimsa]You mean (1) “God is Mother” isn’t as weird as other things Anglicans have said, or (2) you’ve never heard Anglicans say “God is Mother”?
[/quote]

Never heard Anglicans say “God is Mother.” Not doubting someone did–just not someone I have ever heard. My parish is really conservative, though :wink:

[quote=Della]True, but if you look at the picture carefully, you’ll see a Native American design on the bookmark and the young woman (although hidden by the light pole) is plainly Native American. So, it is advertising the Episcopal church to Native Americans and pandering to their paganism instead of drawing them to orthodox Christianity.
[/quote]

[quote=Gnosis]God is both male and female. He is not one gender or another. And, in some instances, the Bible does refer to him in the feminine.
[/quote]

LET US PRAY:
“Our aneutral being who art in heaven …”

you would agree that creation is something that involves both feminine and masculine elements?

And now the have Active Homosexuals as a spiritual head.

[quote=Gnosis]God is both male and female. He is not one gender or another. And, in some instances, the Bible does refer to him in the feminine.

Secondly, if you actually hold that God is both male and female, then how can it be theologically incorrect to refer to her as Mother? The Bible does not say “only refer to God as father”. Throughout the entire Bible God is refered to as many different things. He brought us forth, created us in his image. Surely, for member of a Church who stress the weight of natural law so adamantly, you would agree that creation is something that involves both feminine and masculine elements?
[/quote]

Although God does have his “feminine side,” throughout the Bible he is referred to as “he,” and not “she.”

Besides this, Jesus, the Incarnation of God, is a male. He could have chosen to be a female if he had wanted, but he didn’t, which is significant. He told us to pray, “Our Father…” not “Our Mother…” He told us to baptize in the name of the “Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit,” not of the “Mother, and of the Daughter, and of the Feminine Other.” Plus, he gave us a mother when he gave us his mother, Mary.

And finally, because God has chosen to identify himself with the masculine, rather than the feminine, that makes all of us, in a sense, feminine, since we receive life from him not the other way around–as a woman receives life in her womb through the gift of the male, which is a physical symbol of the spiritual reality.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.