Episcopalians Reaching Point of Revolt

I figure this belongs here rather than in “Secular News” – also maybe some of these folks will find their way to Rome.

tinyurl.com/wofuv
** Episcopalians Are Reaching Point of Revolt**

By LAURIE GOODSTEIN
Published: December 17, 2006

For about 30 years, the Episcopal Church has been one big unhappy family. Under one roof there were female bishops and male bishops who would not ordain women. There were parishes that celebrated gay weddings and parishes that denounced them; theologians sure that Jesus was the only route to salvation, and theologians who disagreed.

Now, after years of threats, the family is breaking up.
As many as eight conservative Episcopal churches in Virginia are expected to announce today that their parishioners have voted to cut their ties with the Episcopal Church. Two are large, historic congregations that minister to the Washington elite and occupy real estate worth a combined $27 million, which could result in a legal battle over who keeps the property.

In a twist, these wealthy American congregations are essentially putting themselves up for adoption by Anglican archbishops in poorer dioceses in Africa, Asia and Latin America who share conservative theological views about homosexuality and the interpretation of Scripture with the breakaway Americans.

Another reason why I converted to Catholicism…:slight_smile:

Looks like its starting to happen:

Va. parishes split from Episcopal church

As the article intimates, the process is years old. Episcopalians have been departing, individually, and by parish, since about 1978. Some for other disciplines, some to remain Traditionalist Anglicans. It started with litugical deformation, proceeded to females in collars, and continued with Robinson’s consecration.

It won’t end here.

GKC

FAIRFAX, Va. - Two of the most prominent and largest Episcopal parishes in Virginia voted overwhelmingly Sunday to leave The Episcopal Church and join fellow Anglican conservatives forming a rival denomination in the U.S.

Truro Church in Fairfax and The Falls Church in Falls Church plan to place themselves under the leadership of Anglican Archbishop Peter Akinola of Nigeria, who has called the growing acceptance of gay relationships a “satanic attack” on the church.

Truro rector Martyn Minns was consecrated a bishop by the Church of Nigeria earlier this year to lead Akinola’s Convocation of Anglicans in North America.

Yes, we left there by the urging of the Holy Spirit. And yes, some of the actions of the Episcopal church are “revolting”.

Here’s a link to the article:
chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/nation/4408820.html

Its sad that the Episcopalians are having these difficulties, but perhaps the dissension will help stop the Anglicans from drifting too far into accomodation with Western secular culture. Recent comments by the Archbishop of Canterbury suggest that he is open to secularizing drift, such as ordaining female bishops.

Thanks Dale…I had to post four times due to “database errors,” so I forgot the link in the one that finally worked.

I am glad they are standing up for their values, but it is sad…just as our separation is sad.

Try since 1784 and the founding of the Methodist Episcopal Church:thumbsup:
Viva Wesley!
WP

I use to have friends in one of the churches - we need to really keep them in prayer. It is a very chaotic and stressful time for all involved. Hopefully they will come to understand that instead of a more orthodox Anglicanism, they need the fullness of Catholicism. One can always hope . . . .:slight_smile:

Yeah, I feel pretty lost right now. Prayer would be appreciated for all of us. I tried going back to my old Episcopal church today and walked out crying in the middle of the service. It felt empty, it felt wrong, and I had to leave. I had hoped that the RCC was the right place to be, right now it feels as if my heart is breaking as I begin to seriously examine my doubts.

For Christians to be bickering, or making schism, or going astray in doctrine like this…is nauseating.

Let us pray that they will eventually have control over all of their church, and say that homosexual marriage is wrong. Such ideas have even started to seep into the United Methodist Church. This gets me worried very much. God speed.

For all the chaos, I’m somewhat hopeful. The Liberal Churches may in power in the USA, but not in Africa or Asia or the Middle East. Most Anglicans in the world are conservative and will be the new leaders. Plus the liberal churches are actually dying, they have been using up their endowments because they can’t keep members and keep losing them, whereas conservative ones are growing in numbers. There are allot of conservative non-ECUSA/TEC parishes that are starting to try and unify and work with the African churches. The Windsor report called for a stronger, more doctrinally accountable worldwide communion, and it may happen, with an Anglican Covenant that the American and Canadian liberal churches would not sign to. We will see what happens with the See in Canterbury though, it may be the global south will be the new center of the Anglican world, unless ++Rowan decides to follow the Bible above liberal diatribe:thumbsup:

Yes, I’m still Anglican, still in the Episcopal Church (being a part of the See of Canterburry and the Worldwide communion is important to me), and seeking Holy Orders(therfore I’m crazy:D )…and i’ll fight what I can:cool:

Jesus founded ONE HOLY CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH.
All the man made denominations that have come along since Luther are disintegrating.
Come home to God’s Catholic Church. Sure it has sinful members, sure its members make mistakes, but it is God’s Church, and it is our home.
Jesus said that the gates of Hell would not prevail against His Church.
As an ex-Anglican I know how eternally grateful I am to be out of that terrible mess. The longer you are out of it the more you realise that it is a man made construction of countless mini-despots, each one of whom is trying to create a church in his own image. To other Anglicans who have any orthodox Christian belief left I say: “Get out of that mess! Come home to the Catholic Church!”

Is it only me, or do you also get the impression that protestantism as a whole is starting to fall apart? Let us pray that many conservative episcopalians and lutherans find their way home to the Catholic Church instead of founding yet new denominations.

Not quite the same thing. The formation of the Reformed Episcopal Church in the 1870s is closer. But this particular process goes back to 1977 and the St. Lous Conference of traditional Anglicans.

GKC

Anglicanus Catholicus

I understand, it still hurts a lot for me also. Last year, my family left the Episcopal Church after waiting for several years for everyone else to act…and seeing that nothing was being done. We are currently attending a very nice Lutheran Church but have not yet joined. It doesn’t really feel like home if you know what I mean. Maybe eventually it will, maybe not. If something like what was happening in Northern Virginia with the Falls Church and Truro were to happen in my neck of the woods, I’d be interested. Until then…?

I found this page through another online message forum:
episcopalian.org/cclec/catalog-concerns.htm

Just awful. It seems the troubles with the Episcopal church have been brewing for a while.

As I said. And the modern manifestation of the problem is some years older than the page you cited.

GKC

We are currently attending a very nice Lutheran Church but have not yet joined. It doesn’t really feel like home if you know what I mean.

That’s how I feel attending the Catholic church here. :frowning: I would have tried the Methodist Church if I hadn’t thought that the same mess would befall them in 50 years time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.