Equality to God

Can humans become equal to God or it is just an LDS heresy? Thanks in advance for an answer.

PS sorry for my english,it is my 2nd language

No, no one can be equal to God Almighty, Creator of Heaven and the Earth. Period.
Every being can be only His mere servant, subordinate to Him.

[Collosians 1:15]:

[…] Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

We can never be God’s co-equal. God can make us His parallel because He can do anything but what for? There’s no reason because He knows everything and He knows all things after all. He can also do anything that He wants.

Neither Mama Mary had gained a God-like status because God is the highest Being. Nothing can ever correlate with His power. He can perform such remarkable acts like giving life and creating all stuff visible or not. And not even one of us could be perfect like Him.

1 Like

Yes, it’s as @EugeneCharles says, even the angels, who by nature are greater than humans, hail Mary as their Queen, and yet she’s subject to Our Father. Humans simply cannot be God or equal to God, because no one can. People in Heaven are Saints, which means they are in constant full state of never-ending grace. But this grace comes form God, it’s not like they achieved deity, or ascended in the hierarchy of beings — which frankly, cannot be done. No one can be equal to Him, He’s a certain, particular, un-matchable in character, power and attributes person, you know?

I’m not sure how to explain this further. God bless you!

1 Like

No but we can partake in his perfection. He shares heaven with us - but through his own gratuitous love not because we are equal to him and deserving.

1 Like

Not by nature, no. By grace, we are made to stand through, with, in and for Christ Jesus. Never without him.

Just as Christ became human and assumed our nature, we become God (by grace) and assume the divine nature.

Saint Athanasius said, “God became man so that man might become God”

“Yea, I say, the Word of God became a man so that you might learn from a man how to become a god” Saint Clement of Alexandria

“The Word of God, our Lord Jesus Christ, who did, through his transcendent love, become what we are, [so] that he might bring us to be even what he is himself” Saint Irenaeus

1 Like

It is an LDS heresy. Even more, in Heaven there is hierarchy, so not all are equal!

Because LDS doesn’t recognize Jesus as the Creator of Everything, LDS theology fails to recognize the fullness of what it means for created humans, not Jesus, to become one with the Creator of Everything through the Holy Spirit.

1 Like

It is impossible to become GOD the creator of the Universe and all that is visible and invisible. The one that all reality is grounded upon.
One must understand the philosophical grounds of what we mean by GOD.
That claim is poorly interpreted verse from St. Paul who never claim we could become GOD.

Peace!

Can a finite being ever attain the state of being an infinite being? To me, absolutely not. Because if you’re a finite being, you would have to grow towards being infinite. And no matter how much you grew, there would always be farther to go. You would always be traveling and never arriving, due to the very definition of infinite. The only way to be infinite is to have been infinite from the very beginning of your existence. And also, of course, if you have a beginning, that disqualifies you from ever being infinite…

In John 17, Jesus speaks of the human faithful being brought to perfection and oneness with God through Christ. He also speaks of his Father loving us even as the Father loves the Son, and that love being in us. If we may be brought to perfection and oneness and love through Christ, that may not be equality but it is tantamount to equality, i.e., equivalent in effect.

No. God is “eternal life”. We are promised a resurrection of the body and “everlasting life”.

For example many non Catholics read John 6 as about us receiving eternal life, when it is actually saying we receive Christ’s “eternal life” and he will raise us on the last day (everlasting life)

We participate in Gods eternal life but we ourselves do not become eternal. (Fwiw, eternal life has no beginning nor end) we have a definite beginning.

Hope that helps.

I have a different understanding of eternal vs. everlasting. Eternal is beyond time, while everlasting is still bound to time.

I would have some reservations about living without end but having to live it sequentially, hour after hour, year after year, forever.

It is my hope to be released from the restrictions of time and space, through Christ.

That’s more than everlasting, in my terminology, although I don’t mind using everlasting to mean beyond time as long as we all agree what the terms mean.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.