Eric Holder Resigning as Attorney General

nytimes.com/2014/09/26/us/politics/eric-holder-resigning-as-attorney-general.html

WASHINGTON — Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. will resign his post, the Justice Department said Thursday. Mr. Holder will remain in office until a successor is nominated and confirmed.

Mr. Holder, the 82nd attorney general and the first African-American to serve in that position, had previously said he planned to leave office by the end of this year.

npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/09/25/351363171/eric-holder-to-step-down-as-attorney-general

Eric Holder Jr., the nation’s first black U.S. attorney general, is preparing to announce his resignation Thursday after a tumultuous tenure marked by civil rights advances, national security threats, reforms to the criminal justice system and five and a half years of fights with Republicans in Congress.

His tenure will be remembered for all the laws not enforced and not defended in court, while stretching the limits of credibility in the interpretation of others, and hiding an incredible number of scandals from Congress and the public. He was able to keep his job for almost six years because his values, or lack thereof, are entirely aligned with those of his boss.

I can’t imagine a similar replacement getting senate confirmation even now, and certainly not if the Republicans gain in November’s elections. This is one of the best reasons to vote for a Republican senatorial candidate if you can this year.

NPR seems to have been the first to come out with the story but I don’t quite agree with the article in saying “civil rights advances”; he acted to keep borders open per acting against states like Arizona from enforcing their own state laws and sued over voter ID laws which of course, the Democratic Party Convention and Unions seem to require. Just getting that in pre-emptively.

This is probably a good move for all concerned. The attorney general should be a purely non partisan position. In fact, a good sign that the attorney general is doing a good job is if there is some friction between the Justice Department and the White House, as that would mean that the AG is doing his/her job and not just rubber stamping everything. With that in mind, John Ashcroft and Janet Reno were good AG’s. Ed Meese was not, and Alberto Gonzales was clearly the worst in my lifetime.

That’s the problem-he was a advocate for a narrow group of preferred special interest groups. The rest of us were on our own.

Agreed. I can’t think of a worse or more corrupt AG in the history of the US. The man should be incarcerated, not resigning.

You are absolutely correct but we would never get so lucky with the current politicians in Washington. Holder will slide out from under his rock and head for parts unknown because decent folks will remove the welcome mat and bar the doors. It will most likely be Chicago as his destination so he can rejoin his supporters in the Muslim Brotherhood, the Weather Underground and the Black Panthers. Resignation parties celebrating his adios will be smaller than usual because most people will be avoiding the imminent threats of attack by Islamic terrorists.:wave:

Agree.

And I think there is little doubt he will be replaced by someone just as bad. I hope he appoints a white man so we can criticize the AG without being called a racist.

Agreed. Holder was far, far too partisan, and so open about it too. It was bad for the Department of Justice and the Obama administration. It made the whole concept of justice under this administration seem like a joke.

Absolutely, without a doubt, the worst AG the country has ever had.:mad:

What I would object to is that it seems he would not defend some laws and this is wrong. We need to be a nation of laws.

Whew, thank God, he was around way too long, Mr Fast and Furious. He couldn’t have picked better timing. :shrug:

Yes, he had such a lack of creditability, even when he was right no one would believe him. He wasn’t in a position to get justice for anybody. Also, I think a lot of his legal decisions and strategies were poor, politics aside. If they get someone more moderate, skilled and responsive, maybe both sides will cool off a little bit and we can move a little closer to real “justice.”

I just read duval patrick was in the running for the AG position

So I take it the purpose of this comment is to distract from the abymal failed tenure Holder by attacking Gonzales and making sure that all concerned realize that Holder wasn’t that bad after all in retrospect?

I’m always amused that when a democrat resigns how the left immediately moves in position to circle the wagons and tries to convince everyone that a republican made a mess too at some point, whether it’s true, exaggerated or blatantly false.

It’ll be interesting to see if that trick works on others :popcorn: because I’m sure not falling for it.

He’s running alright…running full steam away from his record as governor in Massachusetts of all places.

It’s interesting that some of the polls in that race have shown the republican tightening it up a bit.

I thought he said he wasn’t interested. I have also heard Kamala Harris name as another potential AG. Given her ancestry and focus on LGBT hate crimes as well as glowing support from immigration reform groups and other liberal causes, I would think she would be a natural selection for the current administration.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Gonzales WAS atrocious, as evidenced by the fact that there were politicians from both major parties calling for his resignation, and the fact that he had difficulty finding another job, which is almost unheard of for a former AG.

I said it was good that Holder resigned. I also said the AG should be a non-partisan position. Perhaps you think differently.

I pointed out good and bad AG’s from both parties. However, if one approaches this from a purely partisan perspective, perhaps this isn’t as apparent.

This is not a republican forum - this is a Catholic forum.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.