Error on JewFAQ

I wrote to the webmaster of JewFAQ to correct him about this error, but I received a message saying he didn’t accept e-mails anymore. So, I will be correcting the error here so everyone can know the truth. Here is the error (bold is my emphasis):

Some people render the four-letter Name as “Jehovah,” but this pronunciation is particularly unlikely. The word “Jehovah” comes from the fact that ancient Jewish texts used to put the vowels of the Name “Adonai” (the usual substitute for YHVH) under the consonants of YHVH to remind people not to pronounce YHVH as written. A sixteenth century German Christian scribe, while transliterating the Bible into Latin for the Pope, wrote the Name out as it appeared in his texts, with the consonants of YHVH and the vowels of Adonai, and came up with the word JeHoVaH, and the name stuck.

There are two errors to this, actually. One is a lack of credibility, although it dosen’t really matter since the other error is a lack of historicity. But regarding the credibility, there is no name for the scribe. One would think, for something as important as God’s Name being changed, the scribe would be given a name, but no, no name is given. So there is no way to know if what the webmaster is saying is true about this man. But as it turns out, the story is false. The real person who first translated the Name of God as “Jehovah” is Peter Galatinus, an Italian theologian. He asked his local bishop if he could translate the Sacred Scriptures, but, the bishop did not give him permission. In spite of that, he translated the Scriptures anyway, and that is where the name “Jehovah” became popular.

The letter J in germanic languages is pronounced as an english Y. And the german W is pronounced as the english V. This is where all of the confusion stems from, aside from the lack of vowel points for the name.

YHVH is correct for an english translitteration.

I forgot my source :o

JewFAQ: jewfaq.org/name.htm
Peter Galatinus: newadvent.org/cathen/08329a.htm

Well, if newadvent.org has an error he will make corrections.

I like the jewfaq.org text it is written well. He speaks with authority, not like the scribes…:wink:

Here’s something to ponder: The crowd was alarmed at Jesus’ words because He spoke as God. He spoke as one with Divine Authority when He gave His own Torah on the mount. In Judaism, it is believe God gave the Torah to Moses on Mount Siana. This is what is alluded to by Jesus’ words when He speaks on the mount in Matthew 5: He is giving a new Torah (“You have heard it said…but I say to you”, “Blessed are the poor in spirit…”, “Judge not lest ye be judged”, etc.). He is teaching the Israelities as if He is God. Because He is God, He speaks as God. That is why the crowd was alarmed at His words. The scribes did not speak as gods, but Jesus dose. The scribes only taught people the Law, but Jesus gives a new Law.

No I don’t think so. They were moved by his sincerity when he spoke the sermon on the mount.

God spoke the ten commandments to all of Israel, and they were grieved that they might die from hearing him speak, and asked that he speak only to Moses.

When Jesus let go one word that he was making himself equal to God, they crowd was ready to kill him in a heart beat.

It was the nature of the romans to worship dead kings, not the Israelites…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.