Eternal life

How do you answer this to a Protestant who believes in once saved, always saved? We know that Christians are given eternal life through Christ. If one can lose one’s salvation, then how was it “eternal” in the first place? How can eternal life end?

Tell him what Jesus said on the matter:

**"And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved."(Matthew 10:22) **

**"And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake. But he who endures to the end shall be saved." (Mark 13:13) **

"But he who endures to the end shall be saved." (Matthew 24:13)

I would say the “eternal” in “eternal life” refers to the type of life being spoken of - not necessarily the length of time it will remain in a person. It is called “eternal life” because it refers to the supernatural life of God, who is eternal. We are allowed to share in that life already here on earth. We Catholics call it sanctifying grace.

Someone may receive eternal life through Baptism (of water or desire), but that doesn’t mean it will remain in their soul eternally.

I would take one of the OSASer’s favorite Scripture passages:
John 3:15 *that whoever believes in him may have eternal life." *

According to their interpretation of that verse, whoever believes in Jesus **has **eternal life - which I believe they equate with “being saved”. I would point out that the verse shows eternal life is present ONLY in “whoever believes…”. So, upon believing, the verse applies to the person and he receives eternal life. However, if he later decides he does not believe, the presence of eternal life in him would cease since he could no long be included in the category of “whoever believes in Him”. There is nothing in that verse that says one will continue to have the eternal life once received through believing, even if they stop believing. In other words, it does not say once saved, always saved.

Nita

Just thought of something. A problem that will arise is that most OSASer’s have a totally different understanding of grace. They don’t think of it at all in terms of supernatural life that gets infused into our souls. I think to them, the meaning of “eternal life” in the John passage I quoted, would just mean eternal existence in heaven. However, the last paragraph of my previous post would still apply.

Nita

As a former adherent to OSAS, I can say with absolute certainty that you are absolutely correct. The OSAS folks will say that one who does not endure to the end was never “saved” in the first place and was on the road to Hell all along. While we are perfectly willing to admit that one who does not endure to the end was on the right path and then fell away. What helped me come to grips with this issue is when I realized that while the “mechanics” so to speak, are different, the end result is exactly the same. And it is certainly the end result which matters most, yes? That’s why I can proudly say I believe in the Catholic version of OSAS. When I get to Heaven I will finally be saved and will always remain so. :wink:

Peace,
+N

I can supply over sixty five passages of scripture that deny OSAS. Likewise, I can give you a careful rebuttal of the main passages used to defend OSAS.

Send me a PM with your email address and I’ll send the files. I have to send them by email because the files are too large for the PM system.

There are two kinds of time: kairos and kronos.

Well, similarly using a Calvinist world view, if someone is saved in the first place, then how can his salvation be eternal? For one part of his life is spent not being saved and another part of his life is spent being saved. Eternity means always. There cannot be a part of always; it does not make sense.

:smiley: :cool:

Ergo, if one is saved, then why read the Bible? Why listen to the Bible? Why listen to preachers? Why pray? Why live?

There’s no substitute for a little logic:thumbsup:

St. Paul says this about his own “Assurance of Salvation”:

(1Co 9:24) Do you not know that in a race all the runners compete, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.(25) Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. (26) So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. (27) But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.He also says:(Php 2:12) Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling,It doesn’t sound like Paul is a OSASer!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.