eternal security?

Does the catholic church teach once saved always saved? In the bible it says no one born of god will practice e sin, but the catholic church says we are children of god when we are baptiIzed so wouldn’t that mean we are really not been born of god if we are baptiZed and continue sin.

I have seen some protestent sites say once saved always saved. But there is this scary verse
I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes[a] so that it will be even more fruitful. 3 You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. John 15:1-6

Which leads me to think there is no way there can be once saved always saved but does the catholic church say that?

Eternal Security - or “once saved, always saved” is a false teaching that some believe to be supported by scripture. However, as you point out, other verses provide a more complete picture.

So, the Catholic Church would say two things:

1. You can be sure of your salvation today if you are not is a state of mortal sin. Mortal sin is difficult to commit for the Christian who avoids the obvious big sins. If you do commit a serious sin, go to confession, and you are restored to a state of grace with assurance of salvation.

2. Because it is possible that you might fall into a serious sin in the future, you can never be sure that you are “always saved”. Based upon scripture, a Catholic who understands the need to persevere to the end could rightly say, “I am saved, I am being saved, and I hope to be saved.”

No.

See…Mark 13:13…that you have to endure until you die.

Galatians 5:4…discusses the possibility of falling from grace.

Hebrews 6:4-6 St. Paul says it’s impossible to restore those who have accept Jesus and then later reject him.

Philippians 2:12…We’re to work out our salvation with “fear and trembling” not smug assuredness.

Romans 11:22 One will be cut off from God’s mercy unless one continues in his kindness.

Revelations 2:4-5 The Church lost the love it initially had, and its lampstand is to be taken away unless it repents and returns to its former ways.

Technically, yes. When we are in heaven. Eternal security is found only on Gods presence. Not in this life can we take God’s mercy for granted, as He alone reserves the right and power to extend His grace or withhold it.

For a good response on this issue from a Catholic apologist, please see “An Examination of Eternal Security”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.