Ethical Dilemma: Tainted Money

If someone acquires money but commits a sin (apart from theft or fraud) in order to acquire it, what becomes of the money? Obviously the sin must be confessed, but what about the money?

For example, consider a prostitute. Prostitution is both a sin and a crime, obviously. The prostitute confesses her sins and aims to amend her life, but what becomes of the money in her bank account? She didn’t steal it, nor did she lie to obtain it; she honestly obtained the money, albeit sinfully. It would seem, then, that she is under no obligation to make restitution.

Is she free to keep the money despite the means by which she acquired it?

RIght off the bat, I’d say I think so. But then we could bring in insurance fraud and organized crime into the picture, and I’m not sure I’d feel just as sympathetic.

Also, often, prostitutes work their job because they have to, not because they want to. They don’t really have a better place to go. Prostitution really is rock bottom.

Most often because of drug dependency…

Generally, there isn’t any money left to worry about.

Oh definitely. It’s depressing to see people destroy their lives with drugs, whether recreationally or for self-“medication”. Going full-time to college as a resident certainly doesn’t spare me the ubiquitous former image, so it depresses me to see all these aspiring students gamble their dreams and hopes for the ephemeral pleasures of over-drinking.

Thank you all for responding, but I think you missed my point. The situation does not have to be prostitution; that was just an example I used to illustrate my question a little better. Situations in which the money was stolen or obtained through fraud are clear: the offender needs to make restitution for what he stole.

But what about money that was obtained honestly (i.e., without deception or unlawful seizure) yet through a sinful means?

I would say no restitution would need to be made.

The answer is it depends what country you are talking about.
While prostitution is always a sin it is legal in many countries as are brothels and the prostitutes pay tax on their earnings and keep the rest.
I think its even legal in Nevada in the US so I would assume there the women keep the money.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.