Ethical questions over harvesting dead son's sperm

Nikolas Colton Evans had talked about how much he wanted to have a child, but the 21-year-old died after he was punched and hit his head on the ground in a fight. That would have been the end of it, if it weren’t for his determined mother, a court order and a urologist.

Missy Evans has harvested her dead son’s sperm and hopes to find a surrogate and one day raise her son’s child. It’s a decision that ethicists say raises troubling questions; one called the potential offspring a “replacement child.”

Evans isn’t concerned about what others might think. She says she is only doing what her son would have wanted.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090411/ap_on_re_us/dead_son_sperm;_ylt=Akq5AFfkxolWz3H0MUve01ms0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTFpcHAxN3BzBHBvcwMyNwRzZWMDYWNjb3JkaW9uX21vc3RfcG9wdWxhcgRzbGsDZXRoaWNhbHF1ZXN0

I’m not sure what religion (if any) those people are from, but this kind of thing is clearly not allowed in catholicism.

As usual, for GOOD reason.

stltoday.com/stltoday/emaf.nsf/Popup?ReadForm&db=stltoday/news/columnists.nsf&docid=DCD4739D3420E8F58625759900805753

Yes, well, unfortunately her son no longer has the opportunity to exercise his will, since he’s dead. If he had wanted so much to be a father, he should have avoided getting into fights.

This is sick. The mother legally can sexually abuse her kid.

This might be a stupid question, but exactly how is this sperm harvested? I mean, it can’t obviously be done the “normal” way, so do the doctors just go into the vas deferens or testicles and get them that way?

The whole thing just squicks me out. :frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.