Ethiopia - Former Imam and schoolboy beaten for their faith in Christ.

VOM sources in Ethiopia have compiled a disturbing report from the town of Alaba (K’olito) and surrounding area in the Southern Region of Ethiopia. VOM has documented recent cases of severe physical abuse, confiscation and destruction of property, extortion, kidnapping, forcible marriage and the unlawful imprisonment of evangelical Christians in the area. VOM has also learned of the martyrdom of a Christian student named Serkalem on February 1, 2005, who was repeatedly stabbed by assailants as he returned home from school. His family has appealed to authorities but if past experience is any indication, a proper investigation is unlikely.

VOM also learned that, on the same day, in Alaba, Hajji Husman Mohamed and his family were severely beaten, including his pregnant wife. For more than an hour, the attackers physically abused everyone in the house. Hajji, a former Muslim Imam, has suffered several times since his conversion to Christ in March 2003. Last December, all of his property was taken from him, including his furniture, cattle, and a year’s supply of grain.

VOM has also received reports that, in early January, thirty-two believers were chased out of the village of Besheno, located approximately 30 km northeast of Alaba. The Muslims who organized the attack are now checking every vehicle entering the community to ensure that no Christians return.

Given the remote nature of much of Ethiopia, the Ethiopian Constitution has allowed a certain degree of flexibility in administering justice. It provides, for example, legal standing to some pre-existing religious and customary courts and gives federal and regional legislatures the authority to recognize other courts. By law, all parties to a dispute must agree before a customary or religious court may hear a case. Shari’a (Islamic) courts may hear religious and family cases involving Muslims. In addition, other traditional systems of justice, like councils of elders, continue to function in the country. Although not sanctioned by law, these traditional courts typically resolve disputes for the majority of citizens who lived in rural areas and who generally have little access to formal judicial systems. Unfortunately, this also opens up the system to abuse, such as is being seen in the region near Alaba. The Alaba self-governing administration is the first regional office in Ethiopia to have requested the government to implement Shari’a (Islamic) law. Ninety-nine percent of the population in Alaba is Muslim, with less than one percent being Ethiopian Orthodox. The tiny fraction remaining is Evangelical. Islam is the identity of the Alaba tribe. As one church leader put it to VOM sources, in this town, “Islam means Alaba and Alaba means Islam.”

Pray for those who continue to serve Christ in Ethiopia, despite the many difficulties that they face. Pray for safety for Hajji and others suffering injustice and pain for their faith.

freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1340787/posts

Ethiopia is a predominantly Christian country.

[quote=Eetaq]Ethiopia is a predominantly Christian country.
[/quote]

Yes that is true. And as someone who used to live in Ethiopia, I find this laughable. Plus what does this have to do with anything, this is just another one of your hate lies PK.
You know the thing that surprises me is not that you are so close minded but that the admins keeps letting you get away with your one man hate show.

wa salam

Turns out Ethopia is predominatly a muslim country…though not near as overwhelming as first stated…according to the CIA World Factbook:

Ethiopia:

Religion(s):

Muslim 45%-50%, Ethiopian Orthodox 35%-40%, animist 12%, other 3%-8%

Ethiopia from the CIA World Factbook

The Christians hold the power and authority in that country.

wa salam

[quote=Sanctus]Turns out Ethopia is predominatly a muslim country…though not near as overwhelming as first stated…according to the CIA World Factbook:

Ethiopia:

Religion(s):

Muslim 45%-50%, Ethiopian Orthodox 35%-40%, animist 12%, other 3%-8%

Ethiopia from the CIA World Factbook
[/quote]

thats a surprise to me, i thought it was 60% christian faiths. Alright, but fatuma is correct, the rulers and gov’t has always been christian.

It’s not a question of who runs the government, it’s a question of why did muslims do such atrocities to former muslims.

Correct me if I’m wrong, I’ve heard of stories of former muslims that their families and relatives disowns them once they leave the Islamic faith. Some, or most of them, are hunted down either to force them to comeback or even kill them for good. Whether these stories are true or not, tolerance must be exercise by hardcore muslims believers to their fellows who leave their faith. Even God himself has given us free will and doesn’t force us, so why not human beings exercise such to fellow human beings?

Pio

[quote=hlgomez]It’s not a question of who runs the government, it’s a question of why did muslims do such atrocities to former muslims.

Correct me if I’m wrong, I’ve heard of stories of former muslims that their families and relatives disowns them once they leave the Islamic faith. Some, or most of them, are hunted down either to force them to comeback or even kill them for good. Whether these stories are true or not, tolerance must be exercise by hardcore muslims believers to their fellows who leave their faith. Even God himself has given us free will and doesn’t force us, so why not human beings exercise such to fellow human beings?

Pio
[/quote]

Here is a story that might be of interest to you, it is about an american convert to Islam. I’ve pasted the link, and some relevant quotes below

texnews.com/religion97/muslim110197.html

**I’ve been forced off the road before – beaten up – and I’ve never lifted a hand against anyone," Assilmi said.

Her marriage over, she also lost custody of her children because the court decided that the “unorthodox religion” would be detrimental to them**

So you see, no one is innocent of these things

[quote=Eetaq]thats a surprise to me, i thought it was 60% christian faiths. Alright, but fatuma is correct, the rulers and gov’t has always been christian.
[/quote]

Then she should not post something without first checking her facts. Does her incorrect post become justified by then claiming that Christians are in power?

Believe me, your credibility here will be questioned if you post opinion as “fact”.

Everyone will then question all her posts.

Please, don’t take her post lightly. Who knows what other “facts” she posted. She is so quick to criticize ProudKafir yet he nearly always back up his posts with sources (even if you question the integrity of those sources).

[quote=Faith101]Here is a story that might be of interest to you, it is about an american convert to Islam. I’ve pasted the link, and some relevant quotes below

texnews.com/religion97/muslim110197.html

I’ve been forced off the road before – beaten up – and I’ve never lifted a hand against anyone," Assilmi said.

Her marriage over, she also lost custody of her children because the court decided that the “unorthodox religion” would be detrimental to them

So you see, no one is innocent of these things
[/quote]

Congratulations Faith101 you have found the exact opposite and as biased website as PK. Pleeeeeeeeease… The thought of a US court giving custody based on Islam is laughable!!!

Do you really expect us to believe that!!!??:rolleyes:

[quote=iamrefreshed]Congratulations Faith101 you have found the exact opposite and as biased website as PK. Pleeeeeeeeease… The thought of a US court giving custody based on Islam is laughable!!!

[/quote]

If you believe PK, then yes, youll believe anything. And a lot of people believe PK, so I’m guessing they have heard about the bat boy that was just raised on Mars last weekend by the settlers there.

Hey my facts are not wrong; Ethiopia is a large Christian country. The entire history of that place has Christianity written all over it. The Muslim growth is recent and but still can’t be felt. You don’t live there so don’t go using false websites to prove that the Muslims in Ethiopia are oppression the Christians. Good God, that country is as close as you can get to a good balance of the two faiths live together. Whatever problems people say are there, these people are agitators who take situations out of context. By in large the two faiths both get along perfectly well.

wa salam

[quote=iamrefreshed]Congratulations Faith101 you have found the exact opposite and as biased website as PK. Pleeeeeeeeease… The thought of a US court giving custody based on Islam is laughable!!!

[/quote]

You can believe it or not, but its true. This lady is for real, i have seen her speak.

She converted in 1977, so it is a little far back…but it still happened.

Would it be just as laughable to know that black americans had to drink from different water fountains b/c they werent as good as the whites? Oh no, that actually happened right here in the good ol’ USA. :smiley: Maybe 50 years from now, someone will deny that ever happened.

[quote=iamrefreshed]Then she should not post something without first checking her facts. Does her incorrect post become justified by then claiming that Christians are in power?

Believe me, your credibility here will be questioned if you post opinion as “fact”.

Everyone will then question all her posts.

Please, don’t take her post lightly. Who knows what other “facts” she posted. She is so quick to criticize ProudKafir yet he nearly always back up his posts with sources (even if you question the integrity of those sources).
[/quote]

It seems that you believe almost everything proudkafir says b/c its against Islam. what would happen if tomorrow he posts from anti-catholic sites about Christianity? ohhh i can hear the uproar

I do believe that Jesus peace be upon him taught to fight against falsehood…even if its not in your best interest.

[quote=Faith101]It seems that you believe almost everything proudkafir says b/c its against Islam. what would happen if tomorrow he posts from anti-catholic sites about Christianity? ohhh i can hear the uproar

I do believe that Jesus peace be upon him taught to fight against falsehood…even if its not in your best interest.
[/quote]

I never said I believe everything PK posts. If you read my post carefully you will note that I compared the link you left (pro-Islam) to PK’s posts/links (anti-Islam). I was just pointing out both are biased.

I still don’t believe yours anyway. But if you want me to believe it, then I would have to also offer PK the same, no?

[quote=iamrefreshed]I never said I believe everything PK posts. If you read my post carefully you will note that I compared the link you left (pro-Islam) to PK’s posts/links (anti-Islam). I was just pointing out both are biased.

I still don’t believe yours anyway. But if you want me to believe it, then I would have to also offer PK the same, no?
[/quote]

In all honesty, i have stopped caring who on this site believes what. In the end, we all are standing in front of God ALONE. I keep reminding myself that…i will not be held responsible for you…and neither will you be held responsible for me.

What that lady went through is for real. I’ve heard it straight up from her mouth. But she persevered, and her father (who had originally wanted to kill her for converting) and husband both converted. Believe it or not, it happened.

It is up to your discretion what you choose to believe about what proudkafir says. I’ve always found that the people who have the truth and understand it, are not hateful toward others, nor do they seek to hurt others.

Instead of depending on his “research” do the research for yourself…and pray that God guides you…b/c without Him…knowledge can often mislead

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.