EU bans claim that water can prevent dehydration

Brussels bureaucrats were ridiculed yesterday after banning drink manufacturers from claiming that water can prevent dehydration.

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/8897662/EU-bans-claim-that-water-can-prevent-dehydration.html

That will, hopefully, stop the unsubstantiated claims by farmers that consuming food prevents starvation. :wink:

I for one am glad they’ve stopped these ridiculous claims. Water, preventing dehydration? How absurd! We all know that was just a conspiracy by the bottles water companies.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously? Of all the things the EU could be focusing on and this is what they pick? And a three-year investigation? It’s both hilarious and tragic at the same time.

In other late-breaking news, pointy things should not be stuck in people’s eyes, because they hurt, and fire is hot, so keep your fingers out of it.

And you shouldn’t run with scissors.

Europe’s brightest and best have all become bureaucrats.

It’s a pity.

Oh, I would question your sources. I make it a daily, healthful, habit of running with scissors. It’s been proven to cause weight loss in the form of unnecessary and unwanted blood volume.

Children to be banned from blowing up balloons, under EU safety rules

:banghead:

Oh I agree. I’ve recommend the running-with-scissors diet to all my friends, they love it. It’ll be the next big hit in the diet world.

I am sure the manufacturers did not intend to say that “water reduces the risk of dehydration, when drunk”. I am sure they were planning to say: this particular brand of absurdly expensive water prevents dehydration. Anti-EU stories from the UK should always be looked at carefully.

Why?

Just check the EU own site and you can find all their laws written by them.

Don’t blame us for their stupidity.

Next up,

EU bans breathing because it produces harmful greenhouse gases leading to global warming.

Because every time I have followed up one of these stories from the UK media, there is always context which makes it a lot more understandable and the EU stance more reasonable. Can you refer me to a stupid ‘law’ you have read on the EU site?

The decision by the European Food Safety Authority can be found here
efsa.europa.eu/en/efsajournal/pub/1982.htm

The relevant regulation (EC) No 1924/2006 defines reduction of disease risk claims as claims which state that the consumption of a food “significantly reduces a risk factor in the development of a human disease” The professors wanted to define dehydration as a disease, and “reduced water content in tissues” as the risk factor. But “reduced water content in tissues” is actually a measure of the disease itself, so their claim was tautological. That is why the application was dismissed.

I am not sure why the professors couldn’t come up with risk factors independent from the disease. However, it should be noted that both politicians cited in the article are opposed to UK membership in the EU and have reason to mock one of its decisions.

With the collapse of the euro, the regulators will eventually be forced to seek gainful employment - perhaps in the production of high quality French or Swedish automobiles, or in the Greek or Italian banking industries.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

One of the more ridiculous rules the EU has regards Artists Paint. They have banned the sale of colors whose pigments contain lead by requiring that paint tubes containing such paints have child-proof caps, which don’t exist and can’t be fitted to collapsable tubes anyway. But they do permit such paints to be made and packaged for export!

Sort of like the way Canada allows for asbestos exports, but bans it in our country. Which I totally don’t find funny, btw.

I agree.

I’ll believe the EU’s decision if Al Gore supports it.

Because if he supports it, you know it is the right thing to support, right?

Glad I cleared that up. :rotfl::clapping:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.