EU referendum results live: Brexit wins as Britain votes to leave European Union

telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/eu-referendum-results-live-brexit-most-likely-outcome-says-leadi/

God Bless Britain. :slight_smile:

This seems to be official now.

telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/eu-referendum-results-live-brexit-wins-as-britain-votes-to-leave/

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but as an Anglophile (any old-school Anglophone Indian is, at some level, an Anglophile), I find this quite interesting. Will this lead to a reaffirmation of British cultural identity (I don’t mean race or politics)? :slight_smile:

What does ‘British cultural identity’ mean? There are a number of ‘cultural identities’ in the UK, even within England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland individually.

I’d suggest that some will survive quite well while others - including those of some communities where Brexit gained most support (as an expression of socio-economic desperation) - may not.

Good point. :slight_smile: I guess I think of it more in terms of classic literature, not “kick those Pakindians out” :wink:

I’d suggest that some will survive quite well while others - including those of some communities where Brexit gained most support (as an expression of socio-economic desperation) - may not.

True, very true. We shall have to wait and see. :slight_smile:

“British” will stop referring to Scotland and Northern Ireland as they’ll jump ship as soon as possible and join the EU themselves.

Scooped! :slight_smile: Friendly neighbourhood moderators, could you merge this with the one I posted? :wink:

So,the little Englander has brushed off johnnie foreigner. It really takes centuries of practice to master this level of stupidity.

Gove (one of the leaders of Brexit) suggested that we’d be able to stop having immigrant Poles and have more Indians and Pakistanis instead.

Don’t tempt me. :slight_smile: (Not likely though; unless I want to toss away a perfectly good job, I am at the service of the Indian Government till I turn 65 or die, whichever is earlier. :D)

Oh, unless people are really desperate they should think more than twice.

It’s probably going to take a couple of months until Britain officially leaves the EU.

Couple of years (it’s Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty).

Oh yeah. I saw it could take up to 2 years.

SHOCKED! Just up out of bed and heard the news. :eek:

First thoughts are, this will be tough on Catholics living in Northern Ireland, as they will be completely under British rule again - no EU protective laws - so possibly back to square one.

Also, Scotland may leave and stay with the EU - but which other countries will now try to leave the EU, it could fall apart totally. :shrug:

Other scenario could be, the British do a good deal with the EU and rejoin on ‘their’ terms.

Aside from these initial thoughts - totally shell shocked!

Here are a couple videos explaining the England/Great Britain/the UK, and the European Union:

The Difference between the United Kingdom, Great Britain and England Explained

The European Union Explained*

I’m wondering how this well play out in other countries where the EU is unpopular? Sweden seems to be the next obvious choice since they kept the kroner.

Couldn’t agree more. We should never have had a referendum. We have a parliamentary system whereby far better informed people are voted in to make rational decisions about such crucial decisions. Cameron made a huge mistake.

They’d be wise to wait until they see the consequences for the UK - particularly, I’d suggest, particular groups within the UK - Brexit could easily be a disaster for those who most supported it but fairly neutral for many who opposed it.

The polls had the majority in favor of staying with the EU by a margin of about 4%. But the polls were wrong. did people change their minds at the last minute or what?

I suspect there will be some that may want to leave.
OTOH, the British seem to want to be different. They drive their cars on the wrong side of the road.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.