Eucharist Adoration - WHY NOT?

**I have had one too many experiences with clergy that not only do not want to offer Eucharistic Adoration - they seem bothered and angry at the request.

Respectfully where has this come from? Why is this present in our Catholic faith that centers itself on the Holy Eucharist?**

Maybe because it is so hard to get people who are reliable and dependable to show up when they say they are going to? :shrug:

At my former parish, there was a lot of people who were asking for weekly adoration, so we planned it from 3-7pm and ended with Benediction & Evening prayer. For the first month, volunteers were easy to find, after about 6 months it was the same group of about 10 of us, and some of our schedules did not allow for this, so eventually we had to stop.

A sad but true fact, when things like this don't happen, it's usually becasue the laity have dropped the ball too many times in the past. :blush:

It comes from false theology taught in the seminaries during the 80’s and 90’s. Probably the 70’s can be included in some places.

Most of the priests around here who are whacko were ordained in the 70’s and 80’s.

I am talking about having Eucharistic Adoration within a spiritual conference or time of reflection. I have had more than one priest get upset at me for suggesting it…for one hour.

This is rather interesting. You say they not only refuse, but they are upset at the idea? Could it be the way the idea is presented to them? Perhaps they may misunderstand and see it as something you are trying to impose...perhaps they feel their authority being questioned...

You also say "during a spiritual conference or time of reflection"...so I am confused: are you asking that the Parrish establish a time for Eucharistic Adoration, or are you requesting that the Blessed Sacrament be exposed during a particular event? Perhaps the priest finds the latter inappropriate...

Some useful links here and some official documents of the Church here.

Following the time after Vatican II, the idea that Eucharistic Adoration was a "medieval pious accretion not worth doing anymore" was extremely fashionable.

For example, see Richard McBrien's article:

ncronline.org/blogs/essays-theology/perpetual-eucharistic-adoration

[quote="jmjconder, post:1, topic:293350"]
**I have had one too many experiences with clergy that not only do not want to offer Eucharistic Adoration - they seem bothered and angry at the request.

Respectfully where has this come from? Why is this present in our Catholic faith that centers itself on the Holy Eucharist?**

[/quote]

You said in your profile you are a Latin that married a Byzantine. I do hope that you're not asking Eucharistic Adoration from your Byzantine priest. Being bothered and angry would be an expected reaction.

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:6, topic:293350"]
Following the time after Vatican II, the idea that Eucharistic Adoration was a "medieval pious accretion not worth doing anymore" was extremely fashionable.

[/quote]

However, the main documents concerning Eucharistic Adoration outside of Holy Mass (such as Ecclesia De Eucharistia, Eucharisticum Mysterium, Eucharistiae Sacramentum, and Inaestimabile Donum) were all written after the Vatican II.

We have two Eucharist Adorations in my town, one is perpetual adoration, which is suggested we have 2 adorers for each hour, most of the time there is only one, i prefer just one per hour but what ever that is just me....

then there was a problem of homeless drifting in asking for money, so that freaked everyone out and then a security lock n code was installed on the door, well guess what, no one can remember the code half the time or figure out which way to turn the knob, so they pound on the door till someone opens.

then the other location is at our cathedral, which offers adoration either once a week on Fridays for day time hours.

I would imagine the big problem is lay people not being able to commit to scheduled hours, then substitutes not being available , location and security are another factor .

as to why a catholic priest would be annoyed at the suggestion or request is indeed odd and i hope the O.P can clarify later.

[quote="R_C, post:8, topic:293350"]
However, the main documents concerning Eucharistic Adoration outside of Holy Mass (such as Ecclesia De Eucharistia, Eucharisticum Mysterium, Eucharistiae Sacramentum, and Inaestimabile Donum) were all written after the Vatican II.

[/quote]

I know, isn't that a great irony to prove the naysayers wrong?!

I am currently in a place for a few weeks where I cannot go to adoration and I miss it dearly. :frowning:

[quote="Oneofthewomen, post:2, topic:293350"]
Maybe because it is so hard to get people who are reliable and dependable to show up when they say they are going to? :shrug:

At my former parish, there was a lot of people who were asking for weekly adoration, so we planned it from 3-7pm and ended with Benediction & Evening prayer. For the first month, volunteers were easy to find, after about 6 months it was the same group of about 10 of us, and some of our schedules did not allow for this, so eventually we had to stop.

A sad but true fact, when things like this don't happen, it's usually becasue the laity have dropped the ball too many times in the past. :blush:

[/quote]

We have a similar problem. Our times for Adoration were also recently cut back because people were not showing up, especially at the beginning. The priest was the only one there and had to stay or else repose the Blessed Sacrament if he had something else to do. Sometimes one of the adorers would come into the office and say they had to leave and no replacements showed up, so we would have to repose it again. Maybe the OPs priest encountered such situations.

[quote="Joannm, post:12, topic:293350"]
We have a similar problem. Our times for Adoration were also recently cut back because people were not showing up, especially at the beginning. The priest was the only one there and had to stay or else repose the Blessed Sacrament if he had something else to do. Sometimes one of the adorers would come into the office and say they had to leave and no replacements showed up, so we would have to repose it again. Maybe the OPs priest encountered such situations.

[/quote]

Same in our parish. We still have it 7 until 7 pm once a week, but the priests are talking baout cutting it down. The low point is 1 pm until 3 pm. People who are free over lunch time will have gone to 12 noon Mass, so don't want to stay too long after that.

I have to say, I am amazed reading on CAF of parishes who have 24 hour Exposition.

One parish I heard of snagged the most awesome domain name for theirs:

adorationchapel.com/

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:7, topic:293350"]
You said in your profile you are a Latin that married a Byzantine. I do hope that you're not asking Eucharistic Adoration from your Byzantine priest. Being bothered and angry would be an expected reaction.

[/quote]

Quoted for truth and because this has not been addressed yet. OP? Please tell us you are not complaining about a lack of adoration in a Byzantine Catholic Church. I can't comment on a Latin priest, but if it is an Eastern Church your priest is completely right and I suggest learning some more about some of the wonderful Eastern devotions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.