Eucharist and Mortal Sin

One can use the argument that anything that offends God is grave. Even so, isn’t this more subjective to the point that an entire society can be brainwashed into thinking nothing they do is grave? Look at how society already glamorizes divorce/remarriage among other things.

“there are many, most of which we all fall into at one time or another” Really?

“maybe not even realising it” Not possible!

[quote=felsguy;12011118
]Not possible!
[/quote]

Technically you are right but I read a lot of rationalization from a lot of posts here. Someone is still responsible for our actions, omissions, thoughts, etc.

Hi, I would like to clarify or qualify what I said:
Grave sin is any sin that breaks the TEN COMMANDMENTS in one
way or another:
Missing mass on Sunday w/o sufficient reason not to is a mortal sin
because it violates the 3rd commandment.
Divorced persons who had not been granted nullity of their marriage
and remarried is living in mortal sin because they violate the 6th
commandment etc…

One does not receive an increase of grace when receiving unworthily.

The act of not receiving has been given as a penance (especially before the seventh century). There is also the penalty of excommunication in the Latin Catholic Church and reserved sins in the eastern Catholic Church.1 Cor 11: 26-32

26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes.

27 Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will have to answer for the body and blood of the Lord.* 28 A person should examine himself,* and so eat the bread and drink the cup. 29 For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body, eats and drinks judgment* on himself. 30 That is why many among you are ill and infirm, and a considerable number are dying. 31 If we discerned ourselves, we would not be under judgment; 32 but since we are judged by [the] Lord, we are being disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world.m

You can only get forgiveness if you are really sorry.

Yes we are responsible for our actions, omissions, thoughts, etc.

I wonder though, how we can say if a person will or will not receive Grace from God regardless of the state of their soul. To me, its between a person and God.

Hello Brendan.

Ummmm…the chances of this actually happening are slim to none. Most who try this method of living don’t. While it is possible, it is highly improbable. But that is my opinion and I’m not God nor an expert on much of anything.

Glenda

One of my daily prayers is that God will show His mercy to anyone who will die today. As one of the saints advised, I ask the Father to look at all dying sinners through His Son’s wounds. I don’t know if it helps anyone–but I certainly think it’s worth trying. Nobody knows how easy or hard it is to make a really contrite act of contrition at the time of death–or how long the “moment of death” actually lasts and what sinners see or are allowed to recognize at the time of their deaths. That’s above our pay grade. I agree that I don’t want to chance it personally–but I am a sinner too. So, I also pray that it is allowed for anyone who needs it at the moment of death—because even though I try hard to live God wills now, I didn’t for a lot of years in the past. God is mercy. I pray that His mercy extends to everyone, including as the Fatima prayer in the rosary asks: “Lead all souls to heaven–especially those most in need of your mercy.”

Why do you say that? I certainly don’t want to be guilty of dissuading people from availing themselves of the sacrament of penance, but I don’t think that we can say that the chances of someone having perfect contrition are slim to none. Given that it is God’s will for all to be saved, I believe that God provides the grace for each of us to be perfectly contrite. Of course, not all choose to cooperate with that grace. Nevertheless, it seems unlikely to me that there is little to no chance that something for which God provides grace will actually occur.

Catechism:

1385 To respond to this invitation we must prepare ourselves for so great and so holy a moment. St. Paul urges us to examine our conscience: "Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself."218 Anyone conscious of a grave sin must receive the sacrament of Reconciliation before coming to communion

scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c1a3.htm#V

(grave sin= mortal sin).

So a act of contrition, sincerely thought would be enough?

My understanding is that this is usually only allowed in an emergency situation. Under normal circumstances, the person is required to abstain from Holy Communion until he/she can attend Confession.

read the next line:

“Anyone conscious of a grave sin must receive the sacrament of Reconciliation before coming to communion”

Absolutely spot on. We also see the concept of primacy of conscience pushed to the limit, to the point where it is corrupted to mean that a Catholic is free to follow their conscience even if that results in actions that are condemned as sinful by our Church. An attitude of if it feels right, if you think it’s right, then it must be right (regardless of what the Church teaches). Each man then becomes his own magisterium, and ultimately each man becomes his own church. That road leads to Protestantism.

No!

218 Anyone conscious of a grave sin must receive the sacrament of Reconciliation before coming to communion.

If a person is not in a state of grace then they must not receive Communion.

If a person even thinks that they might not be in a state of grace, then that person thinks that they might have committed a grave sin. To receive Communion in that state is to commit another grave sin.

What is the issue though? You do not have to take Communion at every Mass, why not simply refrain from Communion and then go to Confession ASAP?

Why do so many people seem to have an issue with going to Confession?

I repeat, a grave sin is any that violates
the TEN COMMANDMENTS! Let that
be foremost on your minds when examin-
ing your conscience for confession!

Note there is “parvity of matter” (smallness of matter) for venial sin that fall under many of them…hence there are often venial lies, anger etc.

I was reading into what St Paul said about examing ones own conscience.

One must take care here. The Church yes states if one is conscious of mortal sin…one is to go first to Confession. But I would not phrase things that way. For those who struggle with scrupulosity can be sent over the edge of their boat with such a thought.(they need a regular confessor and to follow his direction).

Yes examine oneself. Yes if a person with a normal conscience thinks they may have committed a mortal sin - examine closer and head perhaps to confession.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.