Eucharist and the Truth

I am going to enroll in RCIA this fall. With that, I am currently attending a Protestant church with my family. On Easter Sunday we celebrated The Lord’s Supper. I know the truth of the Sacrament and wonder if I should have avoided taking the elements in light of what I know now.

Welcome Home! If you feel uncomfortable taking the elements in your church, you should refrain from now on. Jesus is waiting for you in the Eucharist and this time next year, if all goes well, you will be receiving the body, blood, soul and divinity of our Risen Lord Jesus Christ. Well worth waiting for!

I have a question; what if you are NOT uncomfortable while waiting?

I wouldn’t have been able to receive before coming into full communion with the Church. For me I had always had some doubts about the protestant communion being a “symbol”. When I learned about the Real Presence and how that was only possible in the Catholic Church because of priestly holy orders, I then realized that in the protestant church yeah it was “grape juice and a cracker” and it was ONLY a symbol. At that point, I decided I had had enough of mere “symbols” and started yearning for the Real Presence – partaking in the body, blood, soul, and divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ. I yearned for that moment. The last few months during communion, I would pray with my hands cupped in front of me, just having spiritual communion, and praying and hoping for the day I would be received into the Church and receive Christ. It was a moment in time I will never forget. It changed my life.

Blessing to you on your journey to Christ’s Church and Holy Communion.

I’m curious as to why you are still attending the protestant church. If it is to go as a family unit, then fair enough, if it is because they do not know of your intention to follow an RCIA course then it may be better to tell them sooner rather than later. It would make abstaining easier; although I’m not sure if a protestant church would ask you to obtain from the ‘symbol’.

I assume that you are attending Catholic masses as well as going with your family to the protestant church; but if not, I would start going as soon as you can - you do not have to recieve the Body and Blood of Our Lord in order to adore him in the Eucharist.

Best wishes, and good luck with your RCIA course.

Martin

I am attending for family unity. We have 25 years of history in Protestantism. My wife and sons are going to have to be led carefully. I am confident they will follow. I have not been attending mass, but I intend to. I appreciate the advice!

Welcome to RCIA! Know that you are not committed in joining the Catholic Church just because you attend RCIA. It is a discernment process, though it sounds like you have your mind made up. In either case, that’s great! I invite you to begin to attend Mass as often as you can. You can fully participate in all parts of the Mass EXCEPT Holy Communion. I suggest for starters, if you can, to attend and occasional daily Mass. They are shorter, usually 30-45 minutes. There are less people, less distractions, and will give you a chance to experience it unhindered. If attending Sunday Mass is problematic with your family I encourage you to try going to the Vigil Mass on Saturday’s for starters. Invite your family to come with you. Share your journey with them as much as you can. Let them see the transformation taking place in your life, and there will be one. If your intention is to become Catholic, I see no reason to continue attending your protestant service unless it is problematic with the family. Furthermore, since you are unable to receive communion within the Catholic Church because you are not in full communion with it yet, I would strongly urge you to not take communion in the protestant church as well for the same reasons, they may not see things that way though.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, I wish you well on your journey and shall pray for you and family during this time.

God Bless You!

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.